Kropke Stays, Garber Gone

8) According to Ken Peters in this mornings Spec, the Greg Marshall hiring will be announced later today (Tues).
  Also that John Kropke will be retained as D Line coach (he and Marshall are good friends).  However secondary coach Chip Garber will not be back, and a new secondary coach will be named later this week.

I have heard some strong talk that Less Browne will be named the new Secondary Coach. Any thoughts on that?

That makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE. Our D line was less than stellar and our secondary was the most improved area by leaps and bounds. Wow.

If it is Less Browne, I'm happy with that. I like Less and he knows his stuff and I know that lots of people here don't like him, but I don't care. :smiley:

Kropke's boys did zip last year, while Garber's players played well, for the most part. But maybe that was simply because Obie gave Garber better players to work with.

Les Browne would be a great choice to coach our DB's. Hope he gets the gig.

I don't this move at all ...
Garber work to better players after Practice.
He spent a lot time with our Young DB's
John Kropke could not do Squat last year ..

To Quote Comic book Guy "Worst Move Ever"

My respect for Onknight and his opinions has risen 1000%.When someone starts quoting Comic Book Guy, you just know the speaker has his scat together. Hank Azaria would be proud. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Pat Lynch (the old Simpsons fan in sector 7)

Thanks pat here one more for ya .
"Bart: It's valuable, huh?!
Comic Book Guy: Ooh, your powers of deduction are exceptional. I can't allow you to waste them here when there are so many crimes going unsolved at this very moment. Go, go, for the good of the city".

That would be absolutely terrific in my opinion.

In lieu of Garber returning, this is great news. It will be an asset to have a Hall of Fame DB with coaching experience in this league being able to instill a sense of Ticat tradition that is positive inside the locker room!

As an unabashed Browne booster here for many years, it would be music to my ears if this were the case.

Oski Wee Wee,

Chip was totally new to the Canadian game last year

He did teach his young players well as individuals last year
but his unit’s stats were quite poor with several big letdowns.

Greg doesn’t know him but he probably knows somebody with
more experience and a lots of successes in Canadian football.

Let’s wait and see who.

Greg knows John Kropke and is comfortable with him.

John’s coaching must have met Marcel’s standards
even though last year’s D-linemen weren’t able

to step up and get big time pressure on the QB

or he wouldn’t have been onboard with Greg choosing John.

John Kropke worked hard at practice
with the players he had, too, ONknight.

P.S.

Coach Mike…Less Browne is out of the loop.

He has been out of football.

Out of sight and out of mind.

It’s just the fans who wish him to be back.

Well, he's been out for three years, Ron. You imply that there has been a sea change in CFL offensive strategy beginning in 2006 after he was released from the Bombers staff. A lot of football people take sabbaticals and do not lose their football knowledge. There may be aspects to debate Browne's worthiness as a position coach, but that isn't one of them, IMHO.

Oski Wee Wee,

JUST THE FANS WANT HIM BACK
Oh well if it is just the dumb fans who want him back lets disregard the notion. :?

Ron are you suggesting that you are not a fan because you do not want Browne back?
Or is your status above that of us fans?

Are you saying the opinions of fans are un-informed or un-important?

Do you know 1st hand why Less was not coaching the last two years?
Was it his choice to take a step back, or could he not find suitable employment?

Your post did not seem written with the same judgement you normally use, or maybe I am as Roger Clemens would say mis-remembering it properly. :slight_smile:

I for one would love the tenacity, dedication, and accountability that Browne would bring to the DBs.
21 years of CFL experience is a bonus!

http://www.lessbrowne.com/LB_News_Page.pdf

He coach Football at Minor league Lv .
I don't Less brown is good Idea at this point ..
We need someone who been around the CFL the past year or two coaching

The logic of your timeframe escapes me, frankly.

Taken to its logical conclusion....

December 2007, Calgary: "Oh, that Hufnagel dude, isn't he a 90s guy? Cross him out." :slight_smile:)

It really doesn't matter how long one has been insy or outsy. I mean, that would be a recipe to take back Kavis Reed if and when he hits curbside in Toronto...

It depends on the man. Hall of Fame DBs with a Hamilton connection AND six years coaching experience in the league don't grow on trees. The issue is whether he is a fit with Marshall's plans for the defence. That's it. Calendar measurements are not a primary focus if you can count the years of inactivity on one hand.

In a perfect world, I'd take Sudsy on a friggin golf cart prowling the Cats sideline in a heartbeat. :wink: That isn't an option, so I await Marshall's decision(s) with interest.

Oski Wee Wee,

This move is a little puzzling. Based on the results, I’m not sure that either of these guys did that great a job. If anything, the secondary at least appeared to be improving.

Funny thing though. At the start of last year I remember discussing with a friend of mine that we couldn’t understand why they hired Garber when he had no CFL experience. At the end of the year, there were at lot more coaches with CFL experienced that I was wishing to see depart then Garber.

As far as who may be filling Garber’s shoes, I don’t know about the Less Browne rumour, but if it’s not him, I would suspect that Greg Marshall may have some influence on who fills the position, much the way Kropke was able to retain his job.

I suspect we will know who will get the job before long.

Let’s hope we make some good player personnel moves in the months to come, and we may finally get this team out of the cellar. It’s been a long time coming. Looking forward to some better football in the near future.

PJ

Aparently Kropke and Marshall are friends. The biggest thing the line needs is talent to get the pass rush going, IMHO. I am sure Marshall will bring the schemes.

Oski Wee Wee,

Less is more!

Otherwise I agree that G. Marshall "2 - the revenge" should be able to pick his own man. Who was the secondary coach last year in the 'Peg?

I just jumped on to the "Less Browne Bandwagon," if indeed, he is open to a contract and Marshall wants him.

I find it puzzling that a guy of Less' stature didn't have a job somewhere in the CFL over the past 3 seasons. Perhaps, its not that he wasn't wanted, but rather, that he's had enough.

Whatever the reason for his talents not being utilized in CFL coaching over the past 3 seasons, I'd take him in a heart beat if all the stars were aligned.

Doesn't really Kropke describe our DLine last year. :frowning: