Kiss The Witches Thread, Volume 9

With about four minutes left and a twenty-three point lead, I am making an edumacated guess that the Cats are going to hold on with the win tonight. As I have been listening to the game on radio, I am not privy to the visuals others have had re the game -- but one thing is clear: Jeff Mathews had a super game tonight, albeit against an also-ran opponent. In general, a solid effort on all three phases to get the Ticats in gear for the East Division lead.

Your thoughts?

For all the Trolls that come out of the woodwork after every Ti-cat loss, especially those who said that Mathews is cr@p; that the team does not and will never play for him; I say unto you:

GET STUFFED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, of course, the talk will be about Mathews, but the talk about him should be quite a bit different from how it was last week. Two thirds of the passes he threw were complete ones, three of them were for TDs, and he had zero INTs this time. If you wanted to see improvement from him, if you wanted to see him avoid mistakes, there you go.

It may be mentioned that he was up against the league's worst defence, but I did have to like the way that he didn't let pressure get to him. There were a few times that he had Riders in his face, but was able to throw complete passes to receivers who impressed. Sinkfield keeps impressing, Underwood also had over 100 rec. yards with some great catches. And it was appropriate that Tasker, Mathews' former teammate at Cornell, caught the first TD pass Mathews threw in this league. The Cornell Connection should be one to watch.

Aside from when the game was out of reach and that Dressler TD, the defence got it gone. They allowed short gains, but got the job done.

And on special teams, Medlock was perfect on FGs and converts. And that punt block by Gainey may have been the turning point in this one:

I guess you could say that Early... wasn't early enough. 8)

Mark Fulton ?@FenderGuy69 5m5 minutes ago
Mathews final Passer Efficiency = 136.55 #Ticats #Riders

That man can throw a damn ball!!!

Defence was outstanding again, Offense is so dangerous. ST is making me grrr. Too many penalties

Any news on Grant?

Say hello...to joy...again....

Last week B.C. QB threw for 366 yards against Saskatchewan. If we wanted to see there was any hope with Mathews as QB, we needed to see him at least match that.

Well how does 385 yards in passing sound?

I think we all can now breath a slight sigh of relief. We've been beating teams by 30 points, and that's a rather nice cushion that Mathews should be able to play with. He doesn't need to be Zach Collaros, he just needs to be able to just put up enough points to win, and tonight he did that.

We should feel a little more confident going into Montreal next week where I believe we can clinch a playoff spot with a win.

Drew EdwardsVerified account ?@scratchingpost 2m2 minutes ago
#TIcats Luke Tasker threw the ball from QB Jeff Mathews’ first #CFL TD pass into the stands. They’re hoping to get it back.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/pacificrim/images/0/09/Homer-Simpson-wingnuts-doh.gif/revision/latest?cb=20130909105555

I saw the ball go over my head in 103 but i assumed it was Mathews. Slick move Luke lol

385?! Nice! Enen nobackupqb would have to be impressed

Mathews spread the ball around nicely, but seems to have great chemistry with Underwood. I think this was Underwood's best game.

Granted it was against the worst team in the league, but that was still a very good performance by all three phases of the Tiger-Cats' team

As good as Mathews was, my game ball goes to the O-line who gave him lots of time to throw and opened some nice holes for Ford.

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/images/en/photo_gallery/2015/10/crop_21785133335.jpg

Yes, a good "all round" win, the QB played good, the receivers were making the great catches, the "O" line was giving good protection the defense played aggressive and didn't let up and special teams played well.

JM throws an extremely accurate pass. He literally diced and sliced the green riders D. One pass, in front of the Ticat bench later in the game (Sinkfield?) was between 2 DB's. Literally six inches either way and the ball would have been picked.

I hope he can continue this sort of accuracy. If he can, I don't think we have anything to worry about QB-wise.

(I say the following completely in jest. I hope he gets back soon and continues to play as awesome as ever): Zach who?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeff Mathews did a great job last night but I'm not surprised, while many fans and media where looking for the second coming of Kevin Glenn in Hamilton I believed we had all the talent at QB right here in Hamilton after Collaros was injured.

Mathews out played Glenn yesterday remember the guy has had two starts in the CFL against a guy who is an old travelling vet of the league.

Mathews knows the system, play book and has an established relationship with the players and some catches last night by Sinkfeild, Underwood, Grant and Tasker were right on, great passes equally great catches.

The Special Teams and Defence played great, it was all in all a team victory and all Cats should be proud!

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving Tiger-Cats & Fans!

I wanted to see tangible improvements from Mathews last night and I got them. I was one of of those that thought Mathews had played poorly on his first two outings and still stand by those comments. I think it is just fair to give accolades when they are due. Many parts of the Ti-cat offence came together last night but none so much as the play of young Mathews. For me he was the MVP of the game. Well done, Jeff.

It may be mentioned that he was up against the league's worst defence, but I did have to like the way that he didn't let pressure get to him. There were a few times that he had Riders in his face, but was able to throw complete passes to receivers who impressed. Sinkfield keeps impressing, Underwood also had over 100 rec. yards with some great catches. And it was appropriate that Tasker, Mathews' former teammate at Cornell, caught the first TD pass Mathews threw in this league. The Cornell Connection should be one to watch.
Totally agreed. On the post game show Mathews was humorously ribbing Tasker for throwing away his first TD ball into the stands! :)
Aside from when the game was out of reach and that Dressler TD, the defence got it gone. They allowed short gains, but got the job done.

And on special teams, Medlock was perfect on FGs and converts. And that punt block by Gainey may have been the turning point in this one:

I guess you could say that Early... wasn't early enough. 8)

Totally agree again, and what a great picture! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Looking at the Jays last two game the boatmen may gat their stadium back real soon. :wink:

"Their" stadium? I don't think that Rogers will let them back in. There are only a few games left in the year, let the Argos play out the remaining games in THF or if they host Ottawa in a playoff spot they play the game at TD Place.

That was a well-timed picture of that moment when things really started to go our way. And when I saw Drew Edwards post it on Twitter, I had to post it here.

As for Mathews, I personally think that he's not quite as good as he looked against Saskatchewan, and not quite as bad as he looked against the Alberta teams. Bad defences can made opposing QBs look better than they are, and we'll see how he'll do with more of a challenge in Montreal.

I believe I should also say more about how well the defence did. Messam did not get many rushing yards at all. It was good to have Norwood back in the lineup. Seeing him chase down Smith for a sack was good to see. It was also good to see Stewart jump up to catch that Glenn armpunt, and Stephen got his 3rd INT of the season. I should mention that Stephen's contract expires at the end of this season according to this: https://twitter.com/scratchingpost/stat ... 8548820992

Filer and Bomben having their contracts extended here was good news, but I don't want Stephen to be a free agent after this season.

And another thing I'd like to add is that Michael Ford may be what we need at RB. Why Ford was on the PR while Holley was on the active roster earlier this year, I'm not sure. I'd like Gable to be back in the lineup, but I don't think our current RB situation is that bad with Ford as the starting RB.