Kiss the 2021 witches Vol. III

With 1:13 left to play and being up by 13 points, I'm starting this thread.
This has to be the most unexpected win in a LONG time.
BLM didn't look himself, but maybe our Defence was playing out of their minds.
I don't think I have seen so many batted and deflected passes. This led to Simoni getting his second pick-6 of the season.
The Run/Pass Option offence really suited Watford's skill set.
I'm surprised that CAL player Rose wasn't disqualified for kicking Kalinic in the nards.
Kudos to Adeleke for recovering and running down the CAL WR to momentarily prevent a TD.
We have another short week - we play Ottawa on Wednesday.

3 Likes

Great defensive play until the last few minutes.

O did just enough to win

Thank you D for stealing this game. O didn’t make any dumb mistakes.

1 Like

Sometimes simply not making mistakes makes you successful.
No "style points" for this game, but all that matters is the "W".

2 Likes

Zero turnovers. Zero penalties. Zero touchdowns.

I’ll take it!

5 Likes

Very pleasantly surprised, especially after the dreary first half. Watford came through, defence came up big, and Condell altered his game plan. Now Saskies need to beat TO and I can go to bed happy!

1 Like

Can't believe we have a kiss the witches after this game but I will gladly take it. Hope Condell learned the value of a running game.

2 Likes

As much it looked "hopeless" starting QB3, I am not actually that surprised. Classic trap game for Calgary, D has been solid for the last few games, and the game plan suited what we had and worked. Watford HAS been around the team for a while, nice to see him deliver.

Very enjoyable to get the win, smart coaching decisions at times to keep the scoreboard ticking. Let's we hope we take notes about the success of the run game we saw today and keep that going.

I liked his poise.
I REALLY liked the fact that he made excellent decisions under pressure and Got. Rid. Of. The. Ball. to avoid a sack or turnover.

3 Likes

That wasn't a running game, it was a college option offence.

1 Like

The point is, it worked.
It probably won't in Ottawa, but with THAT team, you never know.

1 Like

Can you explain this, not sure I uderstand, thanks.

Now if ONLY Calgary stays fixated on the 'BLM Legend' for a just few more games...

Way to go Watford! Winnipeg's grateful! :smiley: :+1:

Agree completely. You'd think (hope) that the misdirection, combined with deeper options when our 2 starting QBs get back, Condell sees the value in those types of plays

1 Like

Exactly. Run it with a first team offence and it could be very successful

1 Like

It's nothing we haven't seen before with Banks/Addison... Reminded me alot of the June Jones playbook. What we saw tonight needs to be built upon, not filed away.

3 Likes

I suggest you look up "read option offence" instructional videos on Youtube.
Essentially, the QB "reads" the action of the DE, and makes the decision to hand the ball off, keep it himself and run, or pass the ball.

1 Like

Got it, thanks!

1 Like

Only slightly. 30 running plays, 22 passing plays.

1 Like

I thought I was back in Guelph for the 2013 Eastern Final. However you gotta do it, get the win. Smart play calling to keep things simple for the offence missing a ton of starters. Defence, running and kicking wins the day.