Kiss the 2019 Witches vol IV

I have always felt that “defensive tackles” was a misleading stat–especially for Defensive Backs. If their numbers are high, to me that means a lot of balls are getting caught in their area and they’re chasing to catch the receivers who made the completion. Likewise for Linebackers. Not all their tackles are on runners who bust through the line and are met head on. Too many times it’s underneath crossing routes that go for completions and again it’s chasing to track a receiver down. Just sayin’…

Sort of a tackles to touchdowns thing? If I’m making a lot of tackles, maybe the other team has singled me out for an easier completion. In which case, if I’m missing those tackles, they are making gains or scoring TDs?

There are/were LBs like Solly, Bighill, Singleton, and Sherritt who are tackling machines. Masters at reading a play who are usually the first player on the scene whether it is their assignment or not.

I don’t think the tackling stat can establish player quality. Either Breaux with 1 tackle or Simoni with 7. Both are great players.