Keys To Beating Saskatchewan – 101st Grey Cup

Maybe he’s not good at catching punts. Different skill than returning kickoffs.
Whatever the reason, he hasn’t done it since he’s been here.

He wants one of his DI's to be a punt returner. Walker is not one.
[/quote]
Why can't Walker be a punt returner?
[/quote]
Maybe he's not good at catching punts. Different skill than returning kickoffs.
Whatever the reason, he hasn't done it since he's been here.
[/quote]
If he hasn't done it since he's been here, then how do we know he's not good at it...from practice?

We don’t. But apparently the coaches do. Or he knows it himself.
Point it, if he could, he probably would have by now.

Just some thoughts on the upcoming Grey Cup game.

Riders Strengths:
Offensive line : driving force behind offence. Sheets is good but only when line plays well. Power blocking using superior physical advantage . Cortez loves a balanced attack. Run & Pass . Hates it when he is in a situation where he has to pass.
They love to attack the defence with running game . Not nearly as effective in obvious passing situations. When Riders played bombers in Winnipeg they didn't have a running game ( no Sheets) and could not protect QB .

Weston Dressler:
Good receiving corp : These guys are good but not great . Arguably Montreal and Toronto has better receivers. Dressler is
a very dangerous threat and requires close attention.
DD can run: and more importantly will run if given a chance. Tremendous escapability.

Secondary : Very strong , IMHO second best in the league . ( next to B.C. ) Honourable mention to Montreal.

Home crowd : Huge noise and inspirational advantage.

Officials : now don't get me wrong, I don't think for a second that the officials will purposefully side with Riders but in that environment ( noise & very biased crowd ) mistakes could be made and a close call will likely go Riders way. I hate to bring this one up but having watched games out of Saskatchewan for many years this is a real possibility.

Special Teams : great kicker / punter and down field coverage. Sanders is an explosive return man as well.

Rider weaknesses :
Game Plan on offence:
Cortez designs a plan and will stick with it no matter what. Not good at changing on the fly.
He will rely heavily on the run game. Great if it works but if it doesn't - 2 and out.

Game Plan on defence:
They will see something new from Austin . This will come even after spending hours studying game film ( many sleepless nights ) and a lot of practice trying to figure out the many dimensions of Ticat offence. Like Burris said when the team was leaving for the airport "You aint seen nothing Yet "

Getzlaff: not a bad receiver but he drops a lot of passes for a 1000 yard guy. In a big game that can kill you.

Front seven on defence is good and bad.
Hall can rush QB but we destroyed this guy when he was with BB's. Ticats will run at him .
MacCullough # 45 is not a solid replacement for Williams.
McElveen is hot and cold . He will either be solid or weak.

Pressure : Life will be good for Riders as long as they play well and are leading. If they fall behind and start making mistakes the crowd will turn on them . There is huge pressure on Riders and none on Hamilton. TigerCats , in most peoples minds, have exceeded this seasons expectations. Plus, the crowd will be 99% Saskatchewan fans.

History : Riders easily won two games against TC in early season. You can't blame them for being confident and perhaps over confident. Problem is, they are playing a different team now. They will soon realize that they don't have the physical advantage they had in July. They have yet to play against the following. Figueroa, Tasker, Fantuz, Gable, Diedrich, Boudreau , Davis, Lawrence, Isaac, Davis , Murray , Bowmann, Plesius, C.O.Prime, Gascon Nadon.

Egos : very cocky and volatile group. Won't be a problem for Riders as long as they are leading. If things go wrong they may have breakdowns in team morale and finger pointing.

@PatMac has nailed it on the head with all points! This is the game in a nutshell! He has iterated everything I’ve wanted to say in one-tenth the space it would take me to do so!

Tip Of My Hat Fine Sir!