Kevin Glenn

The jury is still out, but I still think Glenn did a good job calling his own plays in his first outing. He managed to feed Roberts the ball consistently, resulting in Roberts's first breakout game of the season. That's something Cartwright failed to do in every game previous. If Bryant doesn't drop a sure TD catch, Glenn's calls look even better.

Of course, Glenn has a long way to go, and the real test will be how he performs against better teams than the Ti-Cats, but I don't see how anyone can dispute that the playcalling was a positive step both for Glenn and for the team.

Great, now look at what we got for a discussion.

The argument is not whether Glenn had a good, or great, game against Hamilton, I think we all patted him on the back for that one. The point is the bigger picture of how it is being assessed. Quote by billyjimbo....."The great thing is that he's going to get better at it as he continues"; another....."The lack of faith is a question you have to deal with", and another....."but I find the game much more enjoyable from my perspective than yours". You sound like a Leaf fan! Here's a reality check for you, Glenn WAS great, okay? That was a while back, so don't give me that hogwash that he is only going to get better in time, he ran out of that a year ago, about the time he got that stupid windfall of a raise.

I'll get to the bigger picture in a second here but first let me clear up something. I WANT like heck to see this club rattle off five or six wins, advance through the playoffs and win the Grey Cup as I have always wished in the forty-five years that I have followed them. But it simply will not happen with this year's club. You can hack Glenn's .ini file and put him in 'God Mode', and it still will not be enough to send this club over the top. It has too many issues in spite of him.

So enjoy your perspective, have faith, and with any semblance of reason, you will forgive this sad waste of talent called a team as they win possibly two, probably three, and at the MOST four games of their next eight.

Honestly, what are the issues? The D started the season very poorly but has looked much more like their old self in the past few weeks. The offense is starting to find a rhythm and should only get better once go-to guys like Edwards are healthy and Picard gets a few more games under his belt. Lobinda (sp) is doing a stellar job replacing Simpson. Glenn is calling his own plays, negating the ineffective Kit Cartwright. The only issue I can see is the placekicking, but even that should resolve eventually.

You have got to be kidding me. The defence started poor in the beginning of the season and are looking like their old self now? Only twice have they NOT allowed 400 yards in a game, both against Toronto, whom they played their first game with. Let's see, June 27, Toronto, 261 yards. July 4, Montreal, 531 yards. July 11, B.C., 511 yards. July 18, B.C., 529 yards. July 24, Calgary, 427 yards. August 1, Toronto, 314 yards. Aug 8, Montreal, 452 yards. August 14, Hamilton, 415 yards. So which old self do they look like now?

Anyway I love the fact Picard is back, he is a real catalyst of spirit. Lobendahn has been playing stellar, as if he has been fitted for a few years. I think our defense still stinks, our special teams stink, and our offense is, well, offensive. My guess is that the chemistries of the players and the coaches are not compatible, resulting in the players not giving it their all at times. Just a hunch. We need a rat out of the locker-room to let it all out. Or we can send Westwood INTO the locker room to find out!

It's hard not to agree with blew's commentary. Once Ryan Dinwiddie replaces Glenn, Glenn is coming in to round out another 4 maybe 5 wins tops. We aren't confusing Glenn with what reality may be left this season.

Actually, I blame both Cartwright and Glenn for the early season problems. Cartwright is a complete idiot, who couldn’t call a bingo game, never mind a professional football game. And on the odd occasion when he did call the right play, Glenn usually missed a wide open receiver. Both share the blame, but Cartwright almost destroyed Glenns confidence in a matter of 4 games, fortunately he appears to be getting it back at the right time.

Someone was also ragging on our defense for giving up big yards. Well big deal, offense is up around the league. The average points being scored per game is 28, our defense has given up less than that in 5 of the 8 games they have played. With any sort of offense at all, this team is a solid 5 - 3.

The real blame lies with the offense and special teams, and the idiots put in charge of those phases.

One of the best lines I have heard going back to the time Bill Clinton was distancing himself from Monica!

Sorry about that, I was laughing too hard to notice my error in backspacing through the quotes. That liner is credited to Pigseye.

Great post. Offense is up all around the league, which means that your own offense had better be up to snuff or you won’t win many games. Teams are torching Toronto’s defense left, right, and center. Edmonton ran all over Saskatchewan’s vaunted D last night. Dinwiddie torched Calgary a few weeks ago.

Winnipeg’s D has played pretty well recently. Yes, they’ve given up yardage, but they were on the field far too long against Montreal. You could have won if Berry had pulled Dinwiddie at the half and given Glenn a full two quarters to get his team back into the game. But by the time Berry made his move, the game was mostly over and your D was out of gas.

If your offense had been decent, your record would probably be 4-4 at the very worst.

I'm beginning to think that this is the natural state of things. I seriously took your argument and addressed it with what I considered to be the salient points where there was; from my view, an equally valid alternate opinion.
You went into my post and answered that Kevin's credentials were unquestioned and then said that was a red herring. My understanding of a red herring would be an issue introduced to mask the true point being discussed. So I am reading that you feel that Kevin's ability makes no difference to the Bomber's losses or the last win. Ok, that's acceptable to me as an analysis with the one caveat that you can provide me with another quarterback who's play would have lifted the Blue to a winning position. I think that it's generally accepted that even Anthony Calvillo's performance this year coincides with a MUCH better offensive line, and oh just maybe his running back being used effectively.
My conclusion to all this then is that, Hey! we're all frustrated with the play of the Bombers and we are hopeful they keep taking steps forward from now until the end of the season. I will accept sugar-coating the issue of this thread, but I am a glass half-full guy...
That's not to say that I won't get on you again, if I feel that I have something to add.

Best to us all in Bomber nation!!!

re; jimbo

dearest glass-half full, (The other half hath spill). . .

You went into my post and answered that Kevin's credentials were unquestioned and then said that was a red herring.
Absolutely. Correct as moses was himself.
So I am reading that you feel that Kevin's ability makes no difference to the Bomber's losses or the last win.
Again, correct.
I think that it's generally accepted that even Anthony Calvillo's performance. . .
No, I wish. . . but we all do really.
That's not to say that I won't get on you again, if I feel that I have something to add.
Please, feel free to add more before entering the discussion again.

yours best,

bigc~

....SELF-DESTRUCTED...would be one summation of Glenns season so-far...and probably the last we've seen of him as the NO.1 pivot...There is also under-lying problems with the team....BUT Kevin has made himself the visible target and will wear the horns....so-long Kev... :? it's been a tough year...