Kevin Glenn Traded

Popp is driving me nuts. There is no way they can properly evaluate 3 quarterbacks in 8 weeks at two to three practices a week. He’s not even going to be coaching that QB next season or possibly even sooner.

This team just can’t get itself out of the mess its in. Vernon has had no reps all year how are you going to compare him to Crompton who has four years in the CFL ???

Anyone who’s seen Cato and Crompton play know Crompton can’t make the throws Cato can. It isn’t even a competition.

They pay half a million dollars a year to Popp for this ???

Your not making the playoffs anyway. So let Cato play out the season, like BC let Jennings do last year and let things play out naturally during the off season.

This is a busted organization from top down.

I have no idea how the Als could be in excess of the max. salary cap of $5.1 millions in 2016. I would definitely like to know how Didier arrives at these numbers.

Based on the actual roster -23 on defensive side and 23 on offensive side,incl. the K and LS and McGhee for Glenn, my numbers are much less below the max. cap.

I calculate that the 23 players on the defensive side have yearly salaries totalling $2,160,000; this amount includes a total of $648,000 for Cox,Venable and Woods.

I calculate that the 23 players on the offensive side have yearly salaries totalling $2,240,000; this amounts includes $252,000 for Duron,although suspended for 1 game, and $144,000 for Stafford, although on 6 game injured list 1 time. If I would take these into consideration, the total would be less.

From my calculations-mind you, the numbers are higher than smaller- I calculate that the yearly salaries on players on actual active roster are DEFINITELY NO MORE THAN $4.5 millions. On the present active roster, there are at least 10 players earning less than $60,000 yearly. The current active roster is the base for 2017.

In 2016, we also have to take into consideration: A: Signing bonuses to S.J. Green, Dominique Ellis, Mitchell White and probably Vaugh Martin: B: The fact that Kevin Glenn was on the roster for 11 games; C: S.J. on roster for 2 games and a few others for some games. These considerations could amount to a max. of $396,000. Added to the yearly salaries of players on active roster, the 2016 MAX.SALARIES EXPENSES AGAINST THE MAX. CAP AMOUNT TO $4,896,000. ROOM FOR ANOTHER $240,000.

From here till the end of the season, Jim Popp may take measures to reduce salary expenses,incl. ones on 6 game injured list, but it is not because the team is in excess of max. 2016 cap. Mind you, it is quite difficult to reduce salaries/costs, since the players with higher salaries are all veterans; if they were released the team would still have to pay there salaries for 18 games.

Richard

I’m pretty convinced that it’s Cato from here on. With Adams getting in #2.
Given their youth I think Popp wants to see if Crompton is healthy enough to be activated in order to provide some veteran experience if needed now that Glenn is gone.
The weird thing is they are only 2 games out of second with 7 left. Not that is much comfort I guess.
But I agree. Things are broken.

Agreed. And again, this is why Popp the GM needs to fire Popp the coach. So many of our moves feel like things a GM wouldn’t do if he wasn’t also the head coach. There is no way a head coach signs off on nonsense like this.

Anyone who's seen Cato and Crompton play know Crompton can't make the throws Cato can. It isn't even a competition.
Again, agreed. This shouldn't even be an issue. If they're activating Crompton just to be the third QB dressed, fine. If there is even a possibility that they're considering him again, I officially give up. How could Calvillo possibly sign off on this?
Your not making the playoffs anyway. So let Cato play out the season, like BC let Jennings do last year and let things play out naturally during the off season.
Yes, that's what I'd do. Give Rakeem the season, give him the chance to grow and learn. He did fine in the BC loss, completed all his passes, didn't turn the ball over. He can only get better.

Kevin Glenn posted this a few hours ago:

What do you do when someone lies on you? #youexposethem

Likewise Didier Orméjuste posted this:

Had the Alouettes let Jacques Chapedelaine call the plays on offense, their season would have been much different.

Cryptic. Not sure what he’s referring to but I’m curious.

Likewise Didier Orméjuste posted this:

Had the Alouettes let Jacques Chapedelaine call the plays on offense, their season would have been much different.

Well, I’d like to correct for the pro-francophone bias here. No kidding the French-language papers are going to be boosting Chapdelaine.

Having said that, he’s right. I have NO idea why Chapdelaine wasn’t the OC this year, with Calvillo learning as QB coach. Or least they could have been co-OCs.

Who called the plays in Saskatchewan last season? Jacques Chapdelaine. Their records? 3-15.

Next thing we will hear is if he had been the Head Coach-Chap.- the Als would be in first place and having a chance for the Grey Cup.

I foresee the negative comments if the next Head Coach is not one of their "gang" Could it be Bruno Heppell? After all he has all the solutions, most particularly after the facts.

Richard

Before the BC game Jim Popp was asked whether Kevin Glenn would be traded, Popp said he would if that is what Glenn wanted + the two teams agreed to the terms.

Nik Lewis said after the BC game that he was upset with the QB change because the Als had told Kevin Glenn he was not the problem, yet they demoted him.

I am guessing here, but perhaps Glenn did not like the way his demotion was handled and/or did not ask to be traded.

Rider’s offensive stats were about average with rushing being their strength. In yards per game, they were 3rd. Hard to complain about that as the Riders started 8 games with a QB who was a rookie & is no longer in the league. They also started 1 game with a QB who is currently a clipboard holder in BC.

The problem is your basing yourself on the league max. We don’t know what is the max Wetenhall has authorized… I’d very much doubt Jim would be 300k over with 8 weeks left.

Someone on the RDS site said Glenn threw a dagger at the Als, but it was probably intercepted.

All KG had to do was not blow two consecutive games in the fourth quarter. If your going to lose with a vet in the last year of his contract, might as well lose with younger players.

Last week Derek Taylor put up his leaders for the Most Adjusted Interceptions. Even though Kevin Glenn leads the CFL in interceptions, he was not in the top 6.

1. Jonathon Jennings
  2. Darian Durant
  3. Jeremiah Masoli
  4. Logan Kilgore
  5. Mike Reilly

When Didier writes that the Als are in excess of the cap by more than $300,000, to me it means that their salaries are at $5.4 millions or more compared with a max. cap of $5.1 millions. I proved that it made no sense compared to the approved League cap.

I completely agree that Mr. Wetenhall may have allowed a budget less than the League max. cap. I could be wrong, but Mr. Wetenhall concerns could be the high number of players on 6 game injured list.

Richard

Yep. He’s been an interception machine this year and that is not what we signed him for. He was supposed to help us win while the youngsters came along. At this point, better to give Cato the rest of the season.

Hopefully, by season’s end, Adams will have mastered how to take a snap out of shotgun without fumbling. :oops:

Yes, most of your names seem to fit the 37+ assertion.

The biggest exception of recent times = Pumper Tom Brady

Ricky was showing some cruel signs of erosion - even last year - now he’s unsure of his reads and allowing himself (albeit courageously) to get smacked repeatedly.

Burris is a slightly taller version of Nik Lewis - a tank-like body with a great throwing arm. Hank’s problems are more mental than physical - at 41/42 he’s doing things younger guys just can’t do. He just can’t sustain it!

Warren Moon and Brett Favre were also guys who played at a relatively high level well past 37.

Damon Allen played til nearly 44 but he played very cautiously - using the sidelines as his blockers and going into the fetal position before getting smacked. He took some abuse over his near 1/4 century career - but never got into much trouble.

...So the interception king, much travelled prodigal son returns...I have never been a great fan of Glenn's BUT he does give us an experienced vet. presence now that Willy has been cut loose and freed ....Glenn might see the field if Nichols can't go...I'd prefer that not happen but going with our other 2 green guys won't cut it...especially if we go somewhere post season....Als. are paring down money wise and I guess something had to give... :roll:

Whew - I thought it was the bombers who were over $300k.
begs the question - if you’re over by even $100k you have to pay twice the amount you’re over as a fine plus you lose your 1st round draft pick. What if you traded away this pick?

Matt Nichols hasn’t exactly been lighting up opposition defenses for TD tosses - so the Field Mouse might give the bombers that decent long threat - he’s got a bigger gun than Nichols, despite his dimunitive size (under 5’8") and he’ll throw caution to the wind throwing deep and hoping his guys can run under it - vs. Nichols who’s a trained disciplinarian (via Plop) and only throws if there’s an open window, and tends to toss mostly under 20 yds (3 to 16 is his preferred distance)

Maybe I am misunderstand you but are you saying that the 14,000$ Carter lost because of the suspension does not count towards the cap?

I don’t think that would be the case

But with that said… What happens to that money?

The Als keep it?
It goes to the league?

If you are 99,999,99 over you lose a draft pick
If you are 101,000 over you pay a 1000.00 find…plus the pick
If you are 201,000 you pay 102,000 fine plus the pick

You pay dollar for dollar for being 100,000 to 199,999.99 over and then double for every dollar over 200,000 So 210,000 over would be 1 X 100,000 + 2 x 10,000