Kevin Glenn Released

What happened when Casey went down, Richie went in and did very well, in fact he was better than Printers. I was hoping we would look at some of these new guys, in fact i think these new guys can beat out Klenn. I'm glad Mass resigned with Ed or we may want to bring him in here.

Hammer Time :thup:

I get what you're saying. And I'm not a big fan of free agency (I do believe in scouting and drafting).

But in this case, I don't see any harm in having a solid veteran QB in our stable to help push the other guys, and even help groom them. You have to admit, we have a solid stable, but they're all pretty young and relatively inexperienced. Williams is our oldest guy, and he's not even that old.

I don't think Obie would sign him with the idea of having him start. But it's good to have our bases covered in case Porter, Williams or Trafalis (or the other 2 guys) don't pan out as starters.

if glenn and obie can make a deal then you bring him in as number #2. Im not a huge fan of glenn but i understand that he will make the team better. Im glad to see obie didnt rush to sign him earlier. Things seem like they will fall in place. I also hope we get a second opinion from our own doctors on his health so we can pay him accordingly as a player versus a qb coach.

While deerhunter has a good point about trying to build a new foundation at the Ticat quarterback position, there are a number of factors to suggest that the Ticats will do what they can to sign Kevin Glenn if he is prepared to meet them halfway by signing for a reduced salary, incentives-based contract:

1. He has seven years of CFL experience and he has a good overall record;
http://www.cfl.ca/roster/show/id/135
  1. He played a key role in getting the Bombers into the Grey Cup game in 2007;
  2. New Ticat left offensive tackle Alexandre Gauthier was the left offensive tackle for Glenn and the other Bomber quarterbacks in 2007 and 2008;
  3. He played for Ticat head coach Marcel Bellefeuille in Saskatchewan in 2002 and 2003;
  4. He played for Ticat offensive coodinator Mike Gibson in Winnipeg in 2005 and 2006.

Quinton Porter is pencilled in as the number one quarterback coming into training camp. If they sign Glenn, he would offer a strong challenge for the number one spot.

It would be also good to see Richie Williams come to camp to challenge Porter and Glenn for the number one and two positions. Williams, who will entering his fourth season in the CFL this year, has played quite well on a series of poor Ticat teams and would probably improve by playing behind a solid CFL left offensive tackle for the first time in his CFL career. Here are his CFL career stats:

http://www.cfl.ca/roster/show/id/836

The one problem with this scenario though is that the Ticats will not bring six quarterbacks to camp and they are unlikely to keep either Glenn or Williams as the third string quarterback for salary reasons. Adam Tafralis, Josh Betts and Erik Meyer will probably battle the number three quarterback position.

An experienced backup is a valuable resource for young QBs.

Having Glenn in that postion would go along way in the development of Porter and Tafralis.

Drew Edwards' blog on thespec.com reports that he spoke with Kevin Glenn by telephone tonight and he will have a story about Glenn in tomorrow's newspaper. Glenn has apparently been contacted by more than one CFL team but he also thinks that Hamilton "could be a good situation".

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/

Glenn and Khari Jones are also former teammates. The funny thing is, Glenn knocked Khari out of a starting role when Khari was still supposed to be in his prime. Now that Glenn has mutiple years under his belt as a starter, Khari -- who arguably hasn't done a heck of a lot in the intervening years -- would become his QB coach.

Interesting observation, ExPat. Thanks.

I would like to see Glenn here because of
all his successes that TCTD outlined above.

And secondly, we don't have a veteran CFL QB.

I think it was Dave Ritchie who said that

you can count how many rookie you have starting
and count one loss for each of the rookies you have.

IMO, rookie QB's mistakes cause teams to lose games
way more that any rookies at any other position.

You don't see many rookie QBs, or 2nd year CFL QBs
like Porter, lead their teams to playoff victorys

where it is even harder to win games.

Re: salary

We have cap room, maybe Obie can meet Kevin half way.

He is not chopped liver.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cat organization doesn't have the best record of listening to educated fans warning them about certain players or coaches.

The warnings came out about:

Jason Maas and his shoulder injury (before he was signed and showed it in practice but ignored by the training staff)

Charlie Taffee and his poor coaching habits

Denny Creehan (the fans almost broke down the doors of the Ticats offices to warn then off of this idiot)...but the Ticats ignored the fans as usual :roll:

Danny McManus and his decline in skills and interception rate

Casey Printers being injury prone

Jesse Lumsden being injury prone

Those are just a few examples but it seems Hamilton may throw this thing away all over again if they sign Glenn. Just plain stupidity.

We have 3 good QB's and two new guys in the wings wanting to learn. All in a rebuilding year. and we need Glenn for what?

if we sign Glenn, I'll seriously throw in the towel and resign myself to the fact that this team doesn't have a clue about what they are doing for either the present or the future.

It's been that bad. The record proves it.

This is a joke, right?

Well, if you had quoted the entire statement, and given the clear evidence of the past 5 years, this isn't a joke. The fans have been very correct in their assessments quite frankly.

It's the Tiger-Cats management who have igored the glaring flaws over the past years and have failed to adjust Their failed philosophy of -let's win it all now-

It isn't going to work. What part of that do they not understand?

I seriously hope they enter 2009 with a new outlook. BUILD A TEAM!

Well, if you had quoted the entire statement, and given the clear evidence of the past 5 years, this isn't a joke. The fans have been very correct in their assessments quite frankly.

It's the Tiger-Cats management who have igored the glaring flaws over the past years and have failed to adjust Their failed philosophy of -let's win it all now-

It isn't going to work. What part of that do they not understand?

I seriously hope they enter 2009 with a new outlook. BUILD A TEAM!

For a rookie QB like Porter to improve he has to be in the game and play through rough spots in his game. Having an experience QB like Glen their will be a temptation to put him in and take the rookie out in order to assure wins, then you kill the chances of the rookie improving. If Glen was a good back up why didn't Peg keep him. Then what the hell do I know when you look at all the great team advisers on this site. :wink:

But thankfully management didn't listen to fans over Brady, Jones, Eakin, Hawk, tandem QBs....

Uh, oh.

At a Bills game I was listening to one of the locals bashing Flutie in favour of Johnson. When someone challenged him as to why he prefered Johnson he responded, "because I have a masters degree in Sports Management".

Perhaps professional sports organizations should create executive steering committees made up of its educated fans. This way they could cut several operations jobs like general manager and reduce costs. It would make the media's job harder trying to track down these committee members for comment or accountability.

[b][u]The fans[/u] [/b]have been very correct in their assessments quite frankly.
Sorry DH... WHICH fans? For every fan saying one thing there's at least another saying the opposite. Why even I.....[i]mumble. mumble, cough, cough [/i] have been wrong on occasion.

Well of course some fans will be correct when you have so many divergent opinions on any one topic. It's easy to be selective if you want to be 20/20 in your hindsight. Pick only the opinions that proved right, and ignore all the others that were wrong.

Frankly, it's absurd to believe that the fans speak in a unified, collective voice.

It's also absurd to believe, if anyone does, that a very small sample of fans from an internet board is representative of anything. It is not.

How’d that work out for young QBs like Williams, Eakin, Chang et al?