Kevin Glenn is NO GOOD!

The way I see it, Wettenhal is to blame here for keeping Popp as the HC. This has been a problem not just this season, but last too while Popp as HC.
If anyone should be benched, it’s Popp.

The way I see it, you give Glenn this week's game. If he produces, you keep him on a game-to-game leash -- one more 2+ pick outing and he sits in favor of Cato. If he doesn't produce, you go to Cato right away and you make a commitment to Cato for the remainder of the season. Might as well find out what we have with Cato. Glenn's decline has been steep, unfortunately. I know people are going to talk about his .500 career record but he wasn't always this poor.

I would bet good money the team plays Glen until game 15 even if the als love every game between now and then

3 things:

1. The thing with Glenn is he`ll play a good game every 2 or 3 which then gives the team justification to continue with him.

2. Do the coaches really have confidence in Cato?

3. If yes, is A.C. capable of drawing up a game plan geared to Cato`s skill set?

Calvillo doesn't need to alter the game plan for Cato. That's what got him into trouble in the Hamilton loss. Cato is about the same height as Glenn, he throws a better deep ball, and he's more mobile, but we're not going to suddenly hit the field running wildcat every other snap. Starting Cato should change nothing except maybe you can change the launchpoint of certain plays more frequently with slide-protection. Other than that, give the kid the keys to the whole offense and let him make plays.

No way Cato scan a defense like Glen. Until the Offensive line matures and Calvillo develops a running game. It won't matter. Glen is the best they got.

At season end. Popp will retreat to his GM duties and if he has the last word Kavis Reed or Noel Thorpedo will be named HC and the song and dance will continue. By season's end real paying attendance will be lucky to reach 15 000.

No way Cato scan a defense like Glen. Until the Offensive line matures and Calvillo develops a running game. It won't matter. Glen is the best they got.

At season end. Popp will retreat to his GM duties and if he has the last word Kavis Reed or Noel Thorpedo will be named HC and the song and dance will continue. By season's end real paying attendance will be lucky to reach 15 000.

No way Cato scan a defense like Glenn. Until the Offensive line matures and Calvillo develops a running game. It won't matter. Glenn is the best they got.

At season end. Popp will retreat to his GM duties and if he has the last word Kavis Reed or Noel Thorpedo will be named HC and the song and dance will continue. By season's end real paying attendance will be lucky to reach 15 000.f

Somewhere in between they will flog us with Crompton who's been on the injured list for two full seasons ! A first in the CFL.

No, he won’t read a D pre-snap like Glenn, but if he never gets the chance, how is he going to learn? It’s time to find out what we have. With Sutton back, we have the possibility for a running game.

I also don’t think Cato’s ability to read the field is that far off from Glenn’s. I mean, who’s the guy who throws multiple back-breaking picks most games? Glenn, not Cato.

I will say this: while I want Popp gone and Wetenhall to sell the team, at least Thorpe or Reed would be a legit head coach, not a cardboard cutout of one. I just worry that Thorpe ascending to HC means Quick as DC, which would be a disaster IMO.

I think Popp's choice would be Kavis, however passing over Thorpe again likely means he bolts. I suspect that's the arrangement anyway. If Thorpe is passed over, they will release him of his contract. Edmonton is waiting for him anyway. I'd keep Kavis. Thorpe has been made to look good because of the talent of the unit. Look at Jones in Saskatchewan, when you don't have the players it doesn't matter :slight_smile:

This defense will be overhauled anyway. Parker, Cox, Bowman, Brouillete, Johnson are all in the twilight of their career.

While if they go internal I expect it to be Chapdelaine, possibly Reed, it would be far better to go for an outsider like Steinauer.

He would bring a fresh outlook to the organization and do away with any inherent entitlement of players, coaches. Plus collateral damage to a division rival.

I would give the job to Reed if we're just talking about in-house candidates. I too would like a thorough and fair search that includes both internal and external candidates.

What worries me about Kavis or Thorpe taking over is the vacuum it creates on the defensive coaching staff. If Thorpe isn't there (whether because he's the HC or because he bolts to EDM), we have no one good and qualified in-house to replace him. Anwar is a first-year position coach and he's not ready. Fields is an assistant DB coach, not ready. Then there's ... Quick. Whom I do NOT want as DC given the fiasco in Saskatchewan. Also he's just coached garbage defenses everywhere he's been.

A possible workaround would be Thorpe or Reed becoming HC and de facto DC until one of the younger coaches (like Anwar Stewart) is ready to fill the role. Fields step into DB coach, Quick stays where he is, and maybe someone like Billy Parker, who's close to the end of his playing career, steps into the assistant DB coach spot.

weird. I must have misread your earlier sentiments. Last week I thought you wanted Thorpe totally gone, out of here, without hesitation.
Now you think he is a viable HC option?

And I must have misread your earlier sentiments Slant. You said you`re not a troll but a fan of the Als. Yet you seem to be more of a fan of us posters, analyzing our every comment.

If you`re a fan of the team as you say and not just an observer, why not stick to commenting on the team. Who would you like to see as a future Als coach?

It's tough for me not to just get stuck on names I know.

GM

Overall I want Popp gone then a new GM hires his coach without hindrance.
If Toronto fires Barker I'd hire him. I know he's not popular here on this board. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Popp end up in Toronto.
Neil McEvoy... long assistant GM in BC...but I really doubt he'd move
I would talk to Tillman too

My preferences for a HC:
Milanovich ( given new ownership, poor performance TO may make a move to hire someone like Steinauer)
Milanovich would be be my number one choice if he became available.
I would definitely talk to Tommy Condell

Who I'd like to see become a HC.
Mark Washington
Steinauer
Chapdelaine
Blake Nill- CIS...doubtful he'd leave UBC
Baron Miles...but he's not been a coordinator
I'd stay away from Reed..I personally thinks he's a media hound and hollow.

I really want the new HC to be able to hire all their own assistants but I suspect Calvillo would be off limits..

I don’t think Wetenhall has any intention to fire Jim Popp from his GM position.

Barker and Milanovich just signed a new 3 year contract. They aren’t going anywhere.

Tillman is toxic and his past prevents any chance of him being hired in Montreal.

And as you point out Calvillo is off limit so the HC will be chosen internally. The only guy who Wetenhall would bring in is Trestman if he becomes available and he may become available if things go south this season. That would work out well for Calvillo. Other than that one of Thorpe, Reed will be picked by Popp.

If there was a wholesale change made. I’d go with Brock Sunderland. but then you’d have the local media jump all over the team for not picking the local gnome.

As for Steinhauer and Washington. I don’t think the situation in Montreal is conducive to rookie HC experiment.

:(

Miss the playoffs (perhaps unlikely) in a year when TOP hosts the GC and who knows.

:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

He should not be. He is an all-time favourite (mine and most) but he should still be WR coach or at most QB coach. Can’t hope he progresses as OC for a few years to maybe be ready to be HC.

:( :thdn: / :thdn: :( :thdn: :(

Tant pi pour eux.

Not conducive to a retread either.

Regardless of the result of the game in progress tonight, Glenn should sit for the remainder of the season.