Kerry Joseph starts at QB

Kavis Reed starts Kerry Joseph at QB vs the Argos in the playoffs.

Good move for Kavis Reed and the Edmonton Eskimos. Go with experience in a pressure situation and a key playoff game. Although guys like Jason Gregor & Mark Spector think this is a bad move. I totally disagree. Matt Nichols did look good, yes. He is the future, yes. But he has NEVER faced pressure like this going into a game. Vs Calgary the Esks already clinched a playoff birth. No pressure. Going with Joseph, provides Edmonton with a better chance to start the game off on the right foot. Dont get me wrong here, his leash is VERY SHORT. And i would not be surprised if Matt Nichols ends the game. But its the right call. And i give :thup: to Coach Kavis for going with Joseph.

:cowboy:

I hope your right and for Reeds sake, I hope he is right. Many, myself included have questioned Kavis' handling of his quarterbacks all season and if this decision proves to be a bad one, there will be calls for his firing. Joseph has been nothing short of terrible in his last two starts, 16 for 43 passing, 2 interceptions and 2 fumbles. In fairness though, Reed is in a no win situation if Edmonton loses, no matter which quarterback he goes with. I agree Joseph needs to have a very short leash, if not, Reed WILL hear about it.

I am glad I am not making the call and for the record, I would probably make the same call if I was. The safe call would have been to go with Nichols, credit Kavis with going with his gut.

I like the idea as it takes the pressure off of Nichols, let the old man start let Nichols watch the D from the sidelines then if Joseph sucks after one quarter put in Nichols.

This post is not set to bash anyone. I have to say what i have to say so read it knowing its not directed at anyone directly

See the save call is to go with Joseph, not a rookie in Nichols. Flash back to last year vs Calgary. Tate lost them the game. Starting a rookie, with all the pressure on him is VERY risky. Specially when Nichols hasnt even won a game as a starter!

Kavis will NOT be fired. And he has done a GREAT job as Edmonton's head coach. He has brought pride back to wearing the Green & Gold and imo he has been the BEST coach Edmonton has had in the last 10 years on any pro team. The guy is all Edmonton all the time. He's great for the team on and off the field. Firing a guy like that would be the WORST choice in the last 10 years Edmonton has made. If Edmonton loses to Toronto, thats not Kavis Reeds fault. He does not play the game. He's not the one who stacked the deck in favor of Steven Jyles. Thats on Tillman. Kavis has taken Edmonton to the playoffs for his first two years as head coach. And last year, they were one win away from the Grey Cup. This year is still not over. People should be THANKING Kavis Reed. He made the playoffs with Jyles as his starter most of the way. NO other team or coach has EVER done that. So lets back off of the firing comments for now. Also, Len Rhodes has made it CLEAR, Head Coach Kavis Reed will not be going anywhere anytime soon!

As fans people have to learn to CALM DOWN and top calling for peoples heads. Its so bad in Edmonton, its honestly embarassing! Fire him, trade him, do this do that. 90% of those people know nothing about what actually goes on. And Edmonton 90% of you WANTED Ricky Ray traded for 2 years. And once all YOUR wishes come true and hes gone, what do you do? Complain! Why? Because thats ALL YOU GUYS DO! Im from Edmonton, i love the city and all our sports teams. But im so sick of the fans who want things to happen, then when it happens they change their mind and complain. Or complain anyways. Its frusterating. YOU CANT WIN EVERY GAME, EVERY YEAR, EVERY DAY! Theres always going to be losing in sports. Deal with it! Look at Winnipeg, they went to the Grey Cup last year, and almost finished in last place this year. It happens! Life will go on! Its just a game!

The Edmonton Eskimos are in good shape. Give them time. If Edmonton didnt make the playoffs for 10 years, then ok complain. But they made it. So lets be happy and not complain about one small move (Joseph starts) and call for the head coach to be fired. Having Joseph start means NOTHING. Kavis Reed said "The difference between who starts (either Joseph or Nichols) and doesnt start is taking the TSN pregame interview". Matt Nichols will play in the game. So will Joseph. Reed has said that already. Nichols has his own offencive plays to run vs Argos. And so does Joseph. Lets watch the game and complain after the fact. Not before. Think, what if Kerry Joseph throws for 400 yards and Edmonton blows out Toronto. Then all this complaining is for nothing! Theirs always two sides to the coin! Stay calm people. Seriously.
[/quote]
I hope your right and for Reeds sake, I hope he is right. Many, myself included have questioned Kavis' handling of his quarterbacks all season and if this decision proves to be a bad one, there will be calls for his firing. Joseph has been nothing short of terrible in his last two starts, 16 for 43 passing, 2 interceptions and 2 fumbles. In fairness though, Reed is in a no win situation if Edmonton loses, no matter which quarterback he goes with. I agree Joseph needs to have a very short leash, if not, Reed WILL hear about it.

I am glad I am not making the call and for the record, I would probably make the same call if I was. The safe call would have been to go with Nichols, credit Kavis with going with his gut.
[/quote]

THANK YOU! :thup: TOTALLY AGREE!

:cowboy:

Sorry, I don't buy the blame all the bad Qb decisions on Tillman crap. Reed has been a great coach but he has not handled the Eskimo quarterbacks well, in my opinion. He has waited to long to give the starter the hook when not playing well. I am a firm believer that when your starter is off his game or he is having problems recognizing the reads, you need to get him on the sidelines to 1. change the look of your offense and 2. give your starter a chance to settle down and see what the defense is giving him. Reed has not done that, IMHO. The prime example was a few weeks ago when Joseph was 6 for 24 and still in the game. If that was Tillman making that decision, there is another problem.

Excuse me if I expect the coach to make the right decision every time. I would love to say that Kavis has coached this team consistantly well all year, unfortunately, I can't. He has made great decisions one game, then the next he and his staff can't manage the clock, neglect to throw out the challenge flags etc. The team has looked confused at times, wrong personnel on the field. Lead the league in time count violations by a country mile.

Sorry for being blunt, but the bucks stops at the coach when the team doesn't know which kicker is supposed to be on the field.

I am a Reed fan, don't get me wrong, but I am not an apologist for his mistakes. Hopefully he learns from them and has a long and productive career as our coach.

By the way, when I said the safe call was to go with Nichols, it was because that is who the fans wanted to see starting and starting Nichols would have been the more popular decision.