Kent Austin might leave

According to Justin Boone and his sources:

Saskatchewan head coach Kent Austin will interview for the position of offensive coordinator at his alma mater Ole Miss, according to the Northeast Mississipi Daily Journal. Austin is coming off a Grey Cup Winning season, and is expected to win Coach of the Year honours. The Canadian Press named the Roughriders their Team of the Year at the end of December, a much-deserved honour for the men in green.

Side note: What is with the CFL announcing the Coach of the Year so long after the season. They do it every year and it drives me nuts.

(whoknows) Side note: What is with the CFL announcing the Coach of the Year so long after the season. They do it every year and it drives me nuts.
Good point. "whoknows." It would be a shame for the CFL, particularly Saskatchewan, to lose Kent Austin. From a selfish standpoint, I hope a way is found to keep him here.

The CFL drives me nuts too, with there failure to get off their butts gettin ballots in from the voters of the coach of the year.
It seems to me they could get this done a lot sooner.

From a selfish note, I hope he gets promoted out of Sask.
Then they can take Greg Marshall away as their new HC while they are at it.

Sounds like a dream opportunity for Austin, and one that he is well qualified for!

Coach of the year this late keeps the CFL in the news.
Free agency looms...then training camp. No down time!

Coach of the year this late keeps the CFL in the news. Free agency looms...then training camp. No down time!
Might be the reason but really is anyone looking forward to the announcement of the Coach of the Year. Does it really fill in the offseason for anyone?

It would be classic is Austin leaves before he wins the award.

i feel sorry for the fans of sask as they've gone thru this once before when austin wanted out when he was playing eventually went to bc and now he wants to leave again. sask gm eric tillman is supposed to be on primetime sports on the fan 590 this evening

Tillman is an alumnus of Ole Miss as well, so he probably understands the draw it has over Austin.

$$$$$$$$$

on the fan tonight eric tillman said the money would be about same either way and its not about money

On CHCH tonight, Ken Welch said that university ball in the US pays big bucks. He estimated that Austin was likely receiving in the neighbourhood of $250,000 in Sask and that many of the big schools stateside would pay head coaches $1 to $2 million.

Austin is invited to be an offensive coordinator in Mississippi but could eventually work himself into the big bucks there.

Some Collage OC and DC Make 350- 1 Millon a year.

Ole miss’s hc doesn’t even make that and the teams that do pay that hold onto their coaches until they drop dead. This is not a high profile school, he’d probably make around 30-50 k there with no chance of being promoted to head coach of any major school even if they average 700 yards a game considering how many oc’s there are at the college level that have offences that put up ridiculous numbers yet they never get considered for head coaching gigs. The politics of the ncaa is complete nonsense.

He'll make more than that. Ole' Miss plays in the SEC. Found a link about what Sun Belt Conf. coaches make

http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/005679.php

Houston Nutt (Ole MIss HC) agreed to a four-year, $7.4 million contract with options for three more years totaling $6.6 million.

(whoknows) He'll make more than that. Ole' Miss plays in the SEC. Found a link about what Sun Belt Conf. coaches make http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/005679.php

Houston Nutt (Ole MIss HC) agreed to a four-year, $7.4 million contract with options for three more years totaling $6.6 million.

Good post, "whoknows."

Drexl: I have a good idea of where Ken Welch got his numbers from, but I would be interested in knowing where yours came from, not that I dispute yours, I'm just curious.