Kent Austin ? Making me scracth my head

Here are the reasons I am starting to wonder about Kent Austin :

Not to be taken neagatively; Just my observatons . I hope I an proven wrong.

Just wanted to open up discussion on these curious moves .

1. The hamdling of the Chris Williams situation. Have we ever had this situation with a player before ?
  2. Release of Rey Willians with no real Middle Linebacker replacement . i know Simoni Lawrence was trade for but he has very little experience
  3. Release of proven backup Quinton Porter with no real replacement .
  4. Signing Free Agent Deon Beasley to improve our very weak secondary only to release him before training camp.
  5. Signing of linebacker Mercellus Bowman who happens to play the exact same spot as fan favorite and beast Jamal Johnson . There is not room for both of them on his team.
    6 Signing of FREE AGENTS Non Import DT Brian Bulcke and Non Import DE Shomari Williams . This team needs Import pass rushers which they do not have and these Free Agent signings were likely for starter type dollars . i can't see it making sense for us to start 2 non imports on the Dline and hav eit improve our non existant pass rush.
    7 With the quite possible absence of Chris Williams , we have not went out and obtained a game breaker type replacement and also haev not obtained a kick returner .
    8 Picking Lynden Gaudash first overal to only have him sign an NFL contract shortly after . Could he not have had prior knowledge of NFL interest ? If so , he would have been better off taking one fo the 2 Mac guys.
    9 . No real import Defensive Eend that can rush the pasher has been brought in

yea, the guy has to go!! :x

No offense gerbear but a lot of perfectly sensible things seem to evade your understanding.

Lets wait until at least week 3-4 to have any real opinion about Austin's master plan. You're not a professional football person so you can't expect to understand the choices the team has made. You're not in the team meeting when they come to these choices.

You really lack proper perspective on many basic fundamental levels and it's something you need if you want to have any level of understanding.

1. It’s a mess he inherited, there’s not a lot he can do. The club did what is reasonable, gave him a high end CFL salary if he extends one more year and is in arbitration. More Scott Mitchell’s department now I would say.

2. It’s cap killing, plain and simple. Although I agree, this isn’t quite what I wanted to see happen.

3. Long overdue, Porter has had several chances to develop here and we need to start on a new younger prospect while Hank is still healthy. Apart from McPherson at the time (who doesn’t want to backup anymore) or grabbing one of the previous failed experiment QBs (who cost more money then a rookie) from another team, not a lot more can be done here.

4. Not sure, don’t have enough input.

5. Maybe the consideration is to move/change up the linebacker spots. Put Jamall or Markeith in the middle.

6. This is prep for the Ottawa expansion draft. He’s loading up on non-imports because he might need them post draft.

7. Same as number 1, I’d assume Walker or Mallet might take over this role.

8. Not the end of the world, but it was a calculated risk. The Argos picked Matt Sewell, and he already had a contract down south. It sucks, but it’s too soon to see if it was a bad pick.

9. This is a need that needs to be addressed, no question.

How is this Austin’s fault? That’s on Chris Williams, nobody else.

There’s only one way to gain experience.

Bowman does have some experience playing in the middle, which would provide some clarity to concern #2.

Who do you suggest we acquire? There will be new guys competing in camp.

Gaydosh hadn’t received any NFL offers prior to the draft, while other top guys like D’Aguilar, Sewell, Charles, and Mulumba had. I can’t fault anyone on this.

Yah okay Gerbear, I think you will be surprised this year?

I think the selection of Kent Austin was great in moving this team forward, gee you could go back to last season with Cortez at the helm and Creehan as defense coordinator yah that worked well?

We have all the elements of a good young team with a few vets who can teach the younger guys and give experience and depth to the team, something this team has not had in a long while?

The situation with Chris Williams is his own decision the management can’t force that only up hold the remaining portion of his contract commitment to the Ti-Cats, if Williams decide not to play this year he won’t play and it sounds like he certainly isn’t interested in signing a new deal for 2 or 3 years, he wants to play in the NFL?

One of the best guys suited to fill the role of Williams on kick returns is Chevon Walker, last year was his rookie season and he fought off an injury but for natural talent the guy has the tools needed to be an all-star on kick and punt returns along with the power need to run the ball and be a threat catching the ball as a receiver? The guy has great breakaway speed and is one of the fastest players on the team if not the fastest and can cut on a dime?

It would be nice to have everything but we are not far off in my speculation with this team and it’s only going to get better with more performance on offense, more balance between runs and pass and more creative, and certainly a better defense more rush off the line and QB sacks something totally unheard of last season.

The one big area I would like to see a change at is with our DB’s better hands at picking off interceptions and I think Orlando can teach these guys better ball control. Last year we could have led the league in picks if the guys only hung onto the ball and that included Ray Williams I think he had like three or four drops all season that could have been game changers and added points, Tisdale was another, how many times does a QB hit you in the hands as your running in full stride headed for the other teams end zone, and he drops the ball it’s crazy! Teach how to pick off the other team and hang on to the ball, maybe instate a fine for anyone who drops a pick because an interception or a fumble recovery could easily be a game changer and I think with the additions to the defensive backs that these guys will play more aggressive and ball hungry football. Eat Em Raw Ti-Cats in 2013!!!

1. CW is being hamdled the only way it can be. He's under contract and expected to report as such. Geez, Austin even offered a raise.

2. How is Simoni Lawrence not real ?. If he gets run over and looks slow and out of position constantly and asks for the same amount of moneyas RW then you'd have a point.

3. Porter is no less a project the Brian Brohm.

4. Beasely was at best usefull but not great . Spec still hasnt got an offical reason out of Austin.

5. Bowman can play anwhere in the LB corps.

6. You don't need experienced , versatile CDNs ?

7. LOL, like they grow on trees and easy to find.

8. Gaydosh told them he'd be exploring NFL opportunities. Team still thought he was the way to go. He's still HAM property. News-flash - draft is a gamble, esp. nowadays.

9. Boudreaux, Peguese, and Peach arent real ? What games were you watching ?

10. Stop scratching head.

zenstate .. please do not reply to my posts . I am putting things out there to open up discussion amongst ticts fans and you replied but there was no talk just negativity as usual . It just makes you look like a jerk in my eyes .

I am trying to see what people have to say about the unisual moves Austin has made. It is understood that we are anot all at you rl level of football expertese but we do like to talk about what the team is doing ..that is what being a fan is all about . I have not had any problem withe anyone onhere other than yourself . If you chose to continue t reply to my posts i will chose not to read them or reply as i have given up hope that you might offer a pleasant converation on the ticats .

My Comments on what others have said

1. The hamdling of the Chris Williams situation. Have we ever had this situation with a player before ?

Yes , I aree Austin inherited this problem but Chris tweeted that he 's nto happy with the new manegement .

1. Release of Rey Willians with no real Middle Linebacker replacement . i know Simoni Lawrence was trade for but he has very little experience

I do knwo Marecellus Bowman can play the middle but he has not played there in the CFL and I wonder if the cats could have gotten something in a trade for Rey as he was picked up very quickly .

1. Release of proven backup Quinton Porter with no real replacement .

Right now thet cats have no backup that has played any CFL ball

1. Signing Free Agent Deon Beasley to improve our very weak secondary only to release him before training camp.

This move just seemed odd and tis guy was an upgrade for us in my eyes .

1. Signing of linebacker Mercellus Bowman who happens to play the exact same spot as fan favorite and beast Jamal Johnson . There is not room for both of them on his team.

Not sure wha they plans are here . I like both of thse players . Both at weakside linebacker .

6 Signing of FREE AGENTS Non Import DT Brian Bulcke and Non Import DE Shomari Williams . This team needs Import pass rushers which they do not have and these Free Agent signings were likely for starter type dollars . i can't see it making sense for us to start 2 non imports on the Dline and hav eit improve our non existant pass rush.

I just think they might haev spent alot of Free Agent money on guys that may not start .

7 With the quite possible absence of Chris Williams , we have not went out and obtained a game breaker type replacement and also haev not obtained a kick returner .

If Williams doesn't come back we could be missing a game breaker at receiver as well as Kick returner

8 Picking Lynden Gaudash first overal to only have him sign an NFL contract shortly after . Could he not have had prior knowledge of NFL interest ? If so , he would have been better off taking one fo the 2 Mac guys.

I think Gaudash was a decent pick knwoing the other's had NFL contracts and tryouts . Now that Gaudash has signed in the NFl he now is no longer the best pick in my eyes .

9 . No real import Defensive Eend that can rush the pasher has been brought in

I haev hopes fo rPeguesee but I think Boudreau and Peach are average at best ..

williams situation should not be put on austin...not his fault..just his headache

rey williams- too slow.....lawrence much better

porter- STINKS!

DE-puguese and the other 2 from last were great at the end of the year..even under creehans system..wtach them under mcphee this year,

beasley- didnt see enough of him to comment .

i think we will be much better than last year as long as hank stays healthy...which is the same for every team in the league other than calgary..if the starter goes,who knows what might happen.

There is nothing he can do about Williams now after a record setting year as a punt returner of course he wants out while the iron is hott and his predecessor Thigpen became a top NFL return man.
As for receivers the Cats are loaded Williams came in with three other rookies at the time in Bakari Grant, Onrea Jones, and Aaron Kelly who are all good young imports. expect Jones to take Williams spot at WR and punt returner.
Austin Also is bringing in some of his familiar players to him. his former all SEC receiver Shay Hoge who has been bouncing NFL camps and PRs and arena teams.
Porter was out on his own really. He almost immediately added Jerimiah Masoli who arrived in Ole Miss in 2010 a year after Austin left for Cornell but still had connection to the HC so he knows what he is getting ing Masoli. As far as bringing in former NFL QBs Brian Brohom is at the top of the list of available QBs and is a modern US player and knows and watched the CFL through modern media streams. Brohm knows that Hank is time is running out and a starting QB gig in the CFL can last for a while and comes with a 500K salary for the elite upcoming.
Loading up on Canadian content is a must with Ottawa coming to grab players off of your roster. Bulcke is on the verge of a breakout season at DT with 2013 being only his second full season. Shamari Williams will be added to Marc Antoine Fortin, as well as looking to sign two other 2012 DE draft picks in Hassan hazeem and Gascon-Nadon. adding hazime in a trade and Williams in free agency to go along with import Peach who did play well after starting the year injured and aquiring Pegues who was burried in BC and Bordeaux was a true rookie last year with 2012 being his first pro season anywhere. Will set up a lot of competition at DE. Moving Shamori Williams back to DE can see time in a rotation from the NI portion of the roster and is already a top special teams player.
At LB Williams is 32 and Austin will look to some young talent to go with JJ. Bowman is versatile to play MLB or WIL. and simoni lawrence has played the NFL TC, Practice roster, and UFL bounce for the 2010 and 2011 season. He played mostly specials in EDM but he was JC Sherrits back up so not a lot of PT. A MINN U in the Big ten for two seasons after being a JC transfer so he is a cold weather kind of player. He looks to be a great future all star MLB. JJ will also be entering his 9th CFL season at the age of 31 So with the expansion draft Bowman and Lawrence could be projected as the future at the two LB spots as well as Plesius as soon as he figures out the NFL is not interested in a 25 year old rookie project. In the day of pro football specialty defenses and players for downs and distances the three could be molded into a nice Unit With Plesuius coming from the NI portion of the roster grabbing a starter rotation guy who would be in addition to the Ratio starters
Gaydosh was the best choice as at the time his other fellow Canadian rookies were either already signed with NFL teams or had much publisized multiple mini camp invites. He was signe but with no signing bonus from Jacksonville who will be looking at a lot of new faces to fill the 90 man training camp roster. Gaydosh could be with Hamilton sooner rather than later.

There is nothing he can do about Williams now after a record setting year as a punt returner of course he wants out while the iron is hott and his predecessor Thigpen became a top NFL return man.
As for receivers the Cats are loaded Williams came in with three other rookies at the time in Bakari Grant, Onrea Jones, and Aaron Kelly who are all good young imports. expect Jones to take Williams spot at WR and punt returner.
Austin Also is bringing in some of his familiar players to him. his former all SEC receiver Shay Hoge who has been bouncing NFL camps and PRs and arena teams.
Porter was out on his own really. He almost immediately added Jerimiah Masoli who arrived in Ole Miss in 2010 a year after Austin left for Cornell but still had connection to the HC so he knows what he is getting ing Masoli. As far as bringing in former NFL QBs Brian Brohom is at the top of the list of available QBs and is a modern US player and knows and watched the CFL through modern media streams. Brohm knows that Hank is time is running out and a starting QB gig in the CFL can last for a while and comes with a 500K salary for the elite upcoming.
Loading up on Canadian content is a must with Ottawa coming to grab players off of your roster. Bulcke is on the verge of a breakout season at DT with 2013 being only his second full season. Shamari Williams will be added to Marc Antoine Fortin, as well as looking to sign two other 2012 DE draft picks in Hassan hazeem and Gascon-Nadon. adding hazime in a trade and Williams in free agency to go along with import Peach who did play well after starting the year injured and aquiring Pegues who was burried in BC and Bordeaux was a true rookie last year with 2012 being his first pro season anywhere. Will set up a lot of competition at DE. Moving Shamori Williams back to DE can see time in a rotation from the NI portion of the roster and is already a top special teams player.
At LB Williams is 32 and Austin will look to some young talent to go with JJ. Bowman is versatile to play MLB or WIL. and simoni lawrence has played the NFL TC, Practice roster, and UFL bounce for the 2010 and 2011 season. He played mostly specials in EDM but he was JC Sherrits back up so not a lot of PT. A MINN U in the Big ten for two seasons after being a JC transfer so he is a cold weather kind of player. He looks to be a great future all star MLB. JJ will also be entering his 9th CFL season at the age of 31 So with the expansion draft Bowman and Lawrence could be projected as the future at the two LB spots as well as Plesius as soon as he figures out the NFL is not interested in a 25 year old rookie project. In the day of pro football specialty defenses and players for downs and distances the three could be molded into a nice Unit With Plesuius coming from the NI portion of the roster grabbing a starter rotation guy who would be in addition to the Ratio starters
Gaydosh was the best choice as at the time his other fellow Canadian rookies were either already signed with NFL teams or had much publisized multiple mini camp invites. He was signe but with no signing bonus from Jacksonville who will be looking at a lot of new faces to fill the 90 man training camp roster. Gaydosh could be with Hamilton sooner rather than later.

Thanks so much for these comments CFLSTEVE !!! Very interesting .

Marcellus Bowman played MLB for about half a season in 2011 so he has played the position in the CFL. Has anyone seen him in the past few months though? I heard he had lost a lot of weight after he had his surgery. If he hasn't gained it back yet then he might be a candidate for safety since he has said that is his preferred position.

I can’t comment on his body weight, as I have no clue, but he expects to be ready for the start of training camp. However, that might be wishful thinking.

Some heads, I'm sure, will getting some extra scratching with the release today of Bo Smith, Derrick Summers and Jordan Brescacin.

Wow Brecacin does have me scratching my head regardless if Austin was coach or GM last year or not Brecacin like Medios spent the summer on the PR went back and had a great 5th Season at Windsor. Certainly bringing him to camp as the 5th Canadian Receiver should have had plenty of room.
Bo Smith was maybe one DB too many with the aquisition on McCoulough and last year acquiring Ricardo Colcoough who has a lot of NFL expereince and played very well last year after coming over from a crowded EDM D Backfield also can play several spots in the D Backfield CB/HB/SAM along with Dee Web. Appears will be going with a Canadian at a CB spot
First Beasley now Smith.
Summers not so surprising stocking up on Canadian DEs as well as having Peach, Borduex, and acquiring Peguese last year left a crowded DE position.

Brecacin is someone I thought was worth taking a look at and developing . I get the impression that Austin does not want to bring players in if he feels that he is nt very hgh on . I thnk if he sees some things he doesn't like about them then he's rather dumo them now then have to veto one of the coaches later who might be pulling for them .

I don't think we have an over abundance of quality DB's so bringing Bo and Beasley to camp to me made sense . I can only think that they like alot of guys that they plan to invte and want to give these guys legit shots ?

I don't think we have any legit DE PASS RASHER and that includes Peach, Borduex, and Peguese.

I think Peguese is the only one that could be become a force out of these guys . I do think Austin and Steinhauer knwo what they are doing and I am hoping that becomes apparent soon in reagrds to the DB's and Dline quality of candidates for positions . I am guessing and hoping that we will see some signings of guys that they feel can move right in to starting roles .

I'd keep an eye on these three.

94 Marshall, Craig DL Import 6.04 290 1988-02-10 South Florida
92 Scott, Sam DL Import 6.05 245 1987-06-23 West Chester
49 Lewis, Monte DL Import 6.03 241 1988-10-14 Jacksonville State

[url=http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83599&draftyear=2011&genpos=DE]http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=DE[/url] [url=http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profilexnews.php?pyid=86291&draftyear=2010&genpos=OLB]http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/pr ... genpos=OLB[/url] [url=http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=120684&draftyear=2012&genpos=DE]http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=DE[/url]

You would be in the minority as he wasnt he drafted by anyone. An undrafted player who had an unremarkable mini camp gets released one shouldnt be surprised.
Some are and had me scratching my head.