Ken Clark has Passed

Just found out that Ken Clark has passed away at age 73. A long time CFL punter (17 seasons). Played for Hamilton from 75-78.

Condolonces to his family.

6 Likes

Very sad. Ken Clark was a great punter with a truly excellent career punting average of 45.6 yards per attempt. He was a league All-Star in 1977, 1980, 1982 and 1985.

He could also place kick when called upon to do so on an emergency basis. He kicked a 41 yard field goal into the wind in the last minute of play to give Saskatchewan a 32-30 victory over Winnipeg in the Labour Day weekend game in 1983. The wind was so stiff that day that Clark had earlier unleashed a 101 yard punt which is still a Roughrider record.

He also lined up as a pass receiver every so often. Though he only caught two passes for the Tiger-Cats in 1976, both were for touchdowns. He also had a 71 yard reception for the Tiger-Cats in 1977 and an 80 yard reception for the Argonauts in 1978. That's as much as I can tell you without digging out my older CFL record books.

:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Great punter. He also played for Ottawa in the mid-late 80s.

#13 in your program. #1 in your heart. :+1:

2 Likes

My warmest condolences to his friends and family.

Back in the Seventies (in my mind) I used to reverse his name as Clark Ken. There is an obvious Superman reference there.

:+1:

2 Likes

Ken Clark played in the Vanier Cup and a Super Bowl . Rest in Peace .

Pat Lynch

1 Like

When he went to the Rams in ‘79 it was almost unheard of to see a Canadian player make the leap to the NFL.

Great punter, he was one of the few bright lights on those ‘75-‘78 teams. My condolences to his family.

1 Like

I remember a group of us every time that Clark would go back to punt we would scream at the top of our lungs "OUT OF THE PARK CLARK " !!! .

After Clark left in '79' We would do a similar cheer for his eventual predecessor Bernie Ruoff every time he came on to kick with a rousing "SMOKE IT BERNIE" !!!
Good times indeed when the team gave us very little to cheer for back then .

Clark was a rare bright light on those bleak teams we had here in Hamilton from 75 to 78 and I'm sorry to hear of his passing .

Condolences and RIP to Mr. Ken "OUT OF THE PARK" Clark . :cry:

3 Likes

Great punter! If I recall correctly, in a game against Montreal he not only scored a touchdown, but kicked the extra point as well. Not many pro’s can say that.

2 Likes

Ken Clark thereby joined a select pantheon of all-time greats including Jackie Parker, Gerry James, Cookie Gilchrist, Don Sutherin, Tommy Joe Coffey, Larry Robinson, Don Jonas and Lui Passaglia.

1 Like

He just joined some of them in heaven.

Last I heard St. Peter was a big Canadian football fan.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hope so - otherwise I don’t think I’m getting in.

1 Like

Lionel Conacher, Huck Welch, Annis Stukus, Joe Krol, Kenny Ploen and Jim Van Pelt can be added to the list of Canadian football legends who kicked converts for at least some of their touchdowns.