Karikari signs with Blue Bombers

By Ed Tait
THE ongoing saga that has been the pursuit of Montreal Alouettes safety Richard Karikari took another bizarre twist late last night.

Karikari, who told the Free Press late Tuesday he had agreed in principle to the Bombers' two-years-and-an-option contract worth an estimated $135,000 annually, has not yet signed his contract proposal and may still back away from the deal.

"I'm not really having second thoughts," Karikari told the Montreal Gazette. "I'm just finalizing everything. Right now, I'm just looking over the information. Nothing has changed. I'm not going to rush a decision that will affect me for three years. I want everyone's full numbers before I decide.

"I'm not leaning toward one team or the other. I made a mistake when I said that. I should have said I'm still looking at the numbers. So don't write that I'm second-guessing my decision. I'm looking over the paperwork."

That development didn't sit well with the Bombers, who spent much of yesterday waiting for Karikari's signed contract.
"We're probably no further ahead now than we were two weeks ago when we got into this," said an exasperated Bombers GM Brendan Taman. "We were told we were in the mix after we made our offer, but now I'm led to believe we might not have him. The kid's obviously got some reservations about leaving Montreal. It feels like we're on a roller-coaster, but these things happen. It's not over yet."

Interestingly, Alouettes GM Jim Popp had already essentially said au revoir to the all-star safety. Popp did speak with Karikari yesterday, telling the 26-year-old to make sure he knew what he was getting into with the move west.

"Nine of 10 free agents we lose come back to me and say they wish they hadn't left," Popp said. "Winnipeg's trying to get back on track. He could have stayed where he's made a name for himself. We're probably going to be a good team, a playoff team, maybe go back to the Grey Cup. Or he can go to the unknown.

"If he's on a Grey Cup team (in Winnipeg), I'll tell him he made a great choice. But until then, I can't understand this."

ed.tait@freepress.mb.ca

…totally behind you there KK, redwhite2005 and I would be very happy with a repeat season of 2001…

.....Karikari seems to be playing the Bombers against the ALS....I think the tactic is working....he'll probably get the ALS to up the anti even further...something they said they would not do.....but business is business...Montreal after all is in the hunt for the cup and could win it (like everyone else in the league isn't) and that could be the deciding factor...that and Richard has a lot of friends in Mont....which could solidify his decision....I guess he'll make one before training camp.... :roll:

Isn't it funny that both general managers are now "exasperated"? I think Karikari is starting to piss people off in both camps. Wherever he goes, he'll have to make sure he performs big time, or else, all of his confused-prima donna stuff will come back to haunt him.

Kanga, when you say you wish it was 2001 all over again, you do mean you want to see Troy Westwood miss three field goals in an all important game, don't you?

What I find the most amusing about this is we have bomber fans saying it seems like hes going to montreal and als fans saying hes going to winnipeg. He is really making this into a bigger deal than it really is. He will be getting roughly the same amount of money over the same amount of time no matter who he signs with and will be the starting saftey in both places so what is os hard to decide

Hmmm Lets see same money from both...What are my choices..??? Stay on a Team capable of another Grey Cup appearance, or go to the unknown, with a Unproven QB..

I know what I'd choose! :wink:

He s not going to sign with the Bombers......he was ready to and now he is having second thoughts about leaving the Als...the guy is a wimp, I dont want to see him in blue & gold......tph on you Richard....

Is it official Piggy???? I thought he was still waffling?

nothing is official yet sporty but I dont think he will leave the Als.....cant cut the apron strings....clearly it was just a plea for some attention from Capp.

this guy better make up his mind soon, this is just getting out of hand now.

....Third is right....he has succeded in p'o ing both organizations....I don't think he is capable of making his OWN decision...do I want I guy like that on my team.....yes ...for his raw talent....and no because of the imature way he has handled this proposed deal....weighing it all out....Keep him in Montreal ..Popp....he needs some maturing as a player....and after Proulx is ready...it will be bye bye Richard ... like in.trade time.... before he heads back to the nfl.....he's already a marked man ...by the Don.... :wink:

according to the news, karikari has stopped answering the bombers phone calls.

And to think thats what attracted him to the bombers in the first place

Too True Mada... When will the madness end....

not this time, Calgary would have to CO or Winnipeg would. either way, we will not let Calgary beat us again, YOUR GOING DOWN!!!

No, I mean the regular season record, and maybe TW missing in the GC against Montreal :wink:

ROFLMAO ! You beat me to it.

You know, last year, Almondo Curry played the “I want more money” game for two days prior to the training camp and he was benched about 80% of the season for it. I’d be interested to know how the Don intends to deal with a guy like Karikari… Maybe he’ll whip him with a phone cord.

sumones gotta give him a beating... :lol:

By Ed Tait
JILTED but not distraught from the mess that has become the Karikari conundrum, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers have pressed on with the business of fixing their squad.

Two days after being told 'congratulations' by the agent for free-agent safety Richard Karikari after he had agreed to terms with the club -- but with still no signed contract in sight -- the Bombers are now convinced he'll instead soon be announcing his return to the Montreal Alouettes.

And so Bomber GM Brendan Taman met with Canadian Draft co-ordinator Bob Dyce yesterday while the coaching staff continued looking over film and evaluating talent.

"I'm not expecting anything now," said Taman of the ongoing Karikari saga. "Actually, what I'm expecting now is for them to give me a courtesy call where they say, 'We're going back to Montreal.' And I'll go, 'Oh, wow. That's shocking.'

"I talked with the agent (Ken Viera) last night and he said they were waiting for (Alouette GM) Jim (Popp) to get back to them with a response. He made it pretty clear the kid had not made a decision. But I think it's pretty obvious now the kid wants to stay in Montreal."
Taman said the Bombers have a number of other options at safety, including the four Canadians under contract: incumbent starter Shawn Gallant, Mike Crumb, John Sullivan and Ian Logan. But the staff has also tinkered with moving Boyd Barrett, also a Canadian, there, or using an import like Ike Charlton or Travis Ortega in the middle of the secondary. Charlton, it seems, may also get a look at outside linebacker.

Meanwhile, the club yesterday announced the return of import left tackle Jermese Jones (6-foot-5, 337, Virginia). The 27-year-old is entering his fifth CFL season, his fourth with the Bombers, and has drawn solid reviews from new head coach Doug Berry.

"Doug really likes Jermese," said Taman. "He said he's a guy you don't have to worry about. You don't notice him much, but he's steady. Plus, his character is A-1 and he wants to be here, which I like to hear."

BLUE NOTES: Taman spoke with the agent for free agent WR Gilles Colon two days ago, but there is still no progress on a new deal. "We've tinkered around with the offer a little bit," said Taman. "I'm not going to sell the farm for him, but we'd like to have him back."... Winnipeg appears to be backing away from its interest in PK Matt Kellett and will not trade for B.C. Lions kicker Duncan O'Mahony. They would be interested in O'Mahony as a punter only, and only if he was released by the Leos...

The Bombers have spoken again with the agent for Saskatchewan Roughrider receiver Elijah Thurmon, but he is said to be asking for a deal in the six-figure range. That may be too rich for Winnipeg, which didn't have Thurmon listed among its list of top-tier free agents, and which has some intriguing names on its neg list.

ed.tait@freepress.mb.ca

lol… I wonder what that last part refered to…

[url=http://www.winnipegsun.com/Sports/Football/2006/03/10/1480966-sun.html]http://www.winnipegsun.com/Sports/Footb ... 6-sun.html[/url]

Richard Karikari still hasn't made a decision, but Brendan Taman knows in his heart of hearts what the answer is going to be.

"They either want to be with you or they don't, and obviously he doesn't seem to want to be with us," Taman said yesterday. "At least that's the indication I'm getting.

"I'm presuming he's gone."

Actually, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers GM never had Karikari, a CFL free-agent safety who appears likely to re-sign with the Montreal Alouettes, but that doesn't mean the situation doesn't sting.

Taman said Karikari had basically agreed to a deal with the Bombers on Wednesday afternoon, but he quickly changed his mind and re-opened talks with the Alouettes.

Forge ahead

When reached by the Sun yesterday, Karikari said there was no news to report.

The non-import makes much quicker decisions on the football field, as demonstrated by his nine interceptions last season, but Taman is prepared to forge ahead without him.

"We can still win a Grey Cup without him, but he would've been a nice addition, there's no question about that," Taman said. "He's not the difference maker that Barrin (Simpson) could be, but he is a good player."

The Bombers have four non-import safeties under contract -- Shawn Gallant, John Sullivan, Mike Crumb and Ian Logan -- but Taman isn't ruling out going after an American to compete for the spot.

Looking at the big picture, Taman is happy to have landed Simpson, the former B.C. Lions linebacker who was deemed one of only four elite free agents on the market this winter.

"That was our goal. We're happy," Taman said. "To get one of the four was our goal. To get two would have been a bonus, and we came close to doing that. But it doesn't look like that will happen.

"But, realistically, we got Barrin Simpson, and we're pretty happy about that."

Taman said he is unlikely to pursue free-agent offensive lineman Bobby Singh (B.C.), but he probably will call the agent for free-agent receiver Elijah Thurmon (Saskatchewan) to talk numbers.

And if, by some miracle, Karikari changes his mind and signs with the Bombers, Taman will welcome him with open arms.

"A deal's never done until it's done, and I've learned that over the course of time," Taman said. "I was led to believe that we were pretty close to having a deal done, but I was anxiously awaiting some paperwork that I never got, and life goes on."