K Brody McKnight enters a kicking competition

The Riders leaving no stone unturned have traded for former first round draft pick Brody McKnight. The competition will be on and may the best man win. Milo and import punter Ricky Shmidt will need to bring it. Chris Bodner from U Regina Rams is also a young kicker competing for a spot.

[url=http://www.riderville.com/article/riders-acquire-kicker-brody-mcknight]http://www.riderville.com/article/rider ... y-mcknight[/url]

The Saskatchewan Roughriders announced today they have acquired non-import kicker Brody McKnight and a sixth round selection (49th overall) in the 2013 Canadian Draft from the Edmonton Eskimos in exchange for two fifth round selections (39th and 40th overall) in the 2013 Canadian Draft.

so....goodbye Ricky Schmitt...The Riders now have 3 NI kickers.

I don't know how to feel about this move...I basically think it is a bad trade. Perhaps they legitimately did not foresee a need in the 5th round. Because he is a NI it is not so bad...but he is way over-hyped. His NCAA career left him under 70% and right around 40 yards per punt. Granted his last couple years he was mid 70s, but it seems like a bad move to me.

I agree that McKnight has come with a lot of hype but has yet to be put into a position where he could win a job. Whyte in Montreal and then Shaw in Edmonton were both all star type kickers. Shaw has proved he can do both Whyte not such a great punter but the Als have been willing to live with that so they can dress an extra NI position player.
I would not toss Shmidt out just yet. If Mcknight beats out Milo for the Place kicking spot than Milo will be the punter but I do not know if it is the other way around im not sure they would just hand the punting job to McKnight just because he is a NI. Bodnar was no casual pick up either 2nd in the CIS with a 41.2 punting avg.
Although you need to meet the ratio Chamblain has made it clear he is looking for the best football player at each position regardless so it will depend on how it all shakes out at other positions

I would be shocked if Shmidt makes it to camp, if so then past the 1st week. BT knows how big of an ass he will look if a trade loses drafts and they still dress an import kicker.

Actually when you shake it all out he traded their 6th round draft pick for this season for Xavier Fulton and has regained a 6th round pick this year and gave up two 5th rounders. So even if Shmidt is too good too release will still have McNight most likely still on the 46 and would be very tempting for Ottawa in the expansion draft giving them more position players they can protect.

Sorry, but he has gained nothing for draft picks. they are out 2 - 5th rounders and up a 6th, I don't know how you can spin that into gaining a 6th rounder. Yeah, they traded a 6th round pick for Fulton, but 2 days ago they had 2 5th rounders...now they are left with what...a 1st, 3rd and 6th? I realize that not a lot of 5th and 6th rounders turn out to be premium players, And the Riders actually sit pretty good for NI spots barring a DL and DB as backups, so that is the saving grace...they sit well at the moment. That said, they need to start developing a rookie NI WR (which can perhaps wait until 2014), and they are going to lose some depth in the expansion draft, so it is not a great time to be giving up drafts. I just really hope that he doesn't dip into 2014 too much, because that is going to be a pretty important draft year, and they are already down their 3rd round pick.

As for putting McKnight on the 46, I simply can't see it. It is apparent they want to split the kicking and punting duties, which I totally agree with...no way do you keep a 3rd kicker on the 46. If you are dressing a K and P and you have 3 NI you would look pretty damned stupid not taking up 2 of the 20 NI unless the NI was simply sensational. Shmidt is a pretty solid punter...44 or so average...is giving up a NI spot worth 3 yards per punt? Not in my opinion. If you are averaging 38+ you are doing fine, by league standards. Had they not made this trade, which I shake my head at the more I think about it, I would be all for keeping him around.

I feel BT got suckered for a player who was likely going to be either sitting or released. His NCAA FG % was unimpressive...yes, it was solid later, so maybe his leg is getting batter, but who is going to pick him up on a trade? The only team that might, on a long shot, go after him on a trade is the Argos, and I doubt they would. A sub 75% FG kicker is not worth a trading picks away for when you have 2 NI kickers with better averages, both of who can punt on par with him. To me it makes little sense.

I'm guessing that at best someone gets a nasty case of turf toe and ends up on the 9 game.

I dunno but more teams seem to be putting a lot of stock in him for a guy who has yet to play.Even getting NFL looks Although even though he was a 1st round pick he is only in his 3rd pro season.
we shall see in time put after last season kicking uncertainties Chamblain will have to be very convinced that McKnight is ready to do the job or bad trade or not, Taman Looking bad or not Schmidt will be the punter unless McKight really proves something this season. McKnight could very well end up on the 9 game IR to keep him but not have his salary count against the cap. Bodner could be released even though he seems to be a better punter than McKight or placed on the pracitce roster.

I don't know how anyone can be upset with this trade, especially with the Ottawa coming next year, as they could snag up one of our NI kickers very easily. We traded two 5th rounds picks, which are a shot in the dark of sticking on any team, for a 6th round pick, and a former 1st round pick. So basically traded a 5th for a former first rounder, and moved down a few spots in the late rounds of the draft. Yes you can argue that McKnight was a reach in the 1st round, but he was traded for by EE last year, who already have two good kickers under contract, for a first round pick and some other stuff. So two GMs value him as a first rounder, and one as a 5th. Do you have more faith in Popp and Tillman, or Hervey?

When Popp drafted him he was using an Import kicker. He never signed so he traded a 1st round pick for Whyte...a CFL proven kicker. Note that Wally never even made this trade until he had picked up O'Neill. Popp drafted the best available NI kicker in the first round out of necessity, just like wally did with O'Neill, that replacement for Whyte. Note that Popp never traded until Whyte was proven.

Tillman...well, we will never know if it was the Ray trade or this trade that did him in, but the club seemed fine with his direction from day one...in interviews with brass after his firing it was strongly indicated that this was the tipping point....the final straw...got him fired. Tillman jumped the gun after Shaw had a couple bad misses...I believe against the stamps.

Hervey...Well, he already has a kicker...a pretty decent kicker...so comes out looking like a genius.

So to answer roughtime...I agreed with Popp and Hervey with their actions...I thought Tillman's were stupid.

I am not saying McKnight will not turn out to be solid, or that he is not worth trading for, or that he is not worth the 2 picks...what I am saying is that I question it when you already have 3 guys filling the job. 2 that punt about the same as him, and 2 that have a superior career FG percentage. I hope McKnight turns out great...I just don't know if I agree with the move.

I find it all too funny because there are so many good kickers sitting...Wiliam Dion (just signed by the Als), Aaron Ifield still sits waiting for a call (and is a Saskatchewan guy), Chris Mamo, Scott Dixon, etc...

Its so hard to break into the kicking frat. once a guys in he plays until he is 40.

So I looked at cfl.ca and they have the draft board up. Riders have 1st round, 3rd, 4th and a six.

Hervey stated weeks ago he is looking to establish the Esks in the draft. Well look at the draft board..............Hervey better replenish picks because his cupboards started bare. Their draft choices are much like ours with many selections traded away.

I think the part of this trade that everyone needs to get................is the trade involves a bunch of unproven players. McKnight is just a name right now. His pedigree of being 1st round pick means we all assume he should be able to kick a ball. But until he gets a chance to play we can't assume he can kick, or throw him under the bus.

Part II - our placekicking was bad last year. Milo was 68%. Then we bring in old man DeAgelis to save the day and he went 70%.

Would we like to start the year assuming Milo will rebound? Or should we have some depth and competition. I prefer option II and based on this I don;t mind the trade. We basicially traded a 5th rounder for a 6th rounder to get McKnight. I hope he's been passed around like a used bus and is starting to feel he has some people to prove something too! How else would a guy feel after getting passed around. Keep in mind Tillman handed over a 1st round pick for this young kicker.

Bottlom line..........Edmonton is gambling on Shaw. He's their guy. They wanted more selections in draft. So you move a kicker and pick up an extra pick. I think this looks and smells like to Matt O'Donnell trade. Maybe McKnight's camp was saying we want a trade out because I don't want to sit behind Shaw! Maybe Hervey had to take what he could get. We needed a kicker, or an extra to beef up training camp.

It is up to McKnight to make Taman look great. If not................we really only traded a low draft choice. I sit okay with this one. I hope McKnight and Milo make a super young tandem of kicking partners like Parades and the punter in Calgary.

With Milo the difference between this year and last is that he will be doing the place kicking only and not all duties like he started last year. McKnight will look to beat him out while the Riders also look at him as a punter. The Riders already know that Milo can be a top punter but they want that strongleg kicking field goals first.
I do not see Coach messing around he has import Ricky Schmitt with a big leg for punting and NFL experience in Kick Offs also a big leg for kick offs similar to Swayze Waters. Milo als has a big leg for Kick offs and punts but Shmitts is even better.

No 4th rounder. The Riders traded the 4th round pick to the Esks (I believe that was a part of the O'Donnell trade...note that the Esks traded back for that 5th round pick for McKnight...lol). McKnight has to be the most traded player to have never played.
1st, 3rd, 5th and 6th. The 5th was the conditional from the Bombers I believe.

I had forgotten about that 3rd 5th rounder. With that in mind, I do not mind this trade so much then.

http://www.cfl.ca/canadian_draft/list?year=2013

Round 1
1 Hamilton Tiger-Cats
2 Winnipeg Blue Bombers
3 Montreal Alouettes via EDM
4 Saskatchewan Roughriders
5 Montreal Alouettes
6 BC Lions
7 Calgary Stampeders
8 Toronto Argonauts
9 Ottawa
Round 2