Jyles to Argos for 2 pics

....Bombers are upping their draft pics at warp speed... Argos trade us fourth pic overall in 2011 draft and a fourth rounder in 2012....wow...Although we are strenghtening a division rival i;m ecstatic about picking up another valuable Canuck in this years draft...We have a number of needs and this just makes things a whole lot brighter and easier filling them :thup: :rockin: Like it... :thup:

hate to say it but called this one a few months back. :slight_smile:

Beat me to it Pappa. Decent trade. Some people are saying that this years draft is top heavy so a 4th rounder this year might not have been a great return. Maybe next years draft will be deeper, so could be a shrewd move making that lower round pick next year. I know there are some people who will hate to see Jyles go and will complain ad nauseum about Buck getting hurt yada yada yada, but the trade does help the team add higher end Canadian talent.

Let the speculation begin as to who they will look at 4th overall now.

Also let the speculation begin as to how the QB roster will shake out (Muamba? one of the recievers?). Take away Jyles who was 1B on the depth chart, opens up a huge competition in camp for #2 between Elliott, Brink (if he's still around), and any new guy they may have their eyes on (Pat White?). I have high doubts that any of the vet CFL QBs bouncing around are will be given much consideration.

hate to say it but called this one a few months back. :)
Sounds a bit more like gloating to me there killer :wink:

Ah but he's entitled.

lapo on hustler and lawless said they werent even sure jyles would be number 2 this year. sounds like elliot is that guy.

...exactly....and how does anyone know how healthy Jyles is.... (Just a question...Is any of this trade dependent on a Jyles physical :roll:??? ) I could tell towards the end of last year that Elliot was going to be a definite contender for the number 2 spot...He's got the goods....Given any kind of decent playing time..he's got a great future :wink:

[quote="wolverine29"]

Let the speculation begin as to who they will look at 4th overall now.

Also let the speculation begin as to how the QB roster will shake out (Muamba? one of the recievers?). Take away Jyles who was 1B on the depth chart, opens up a huge competition in camp for #2 between Elliott, Brink (if he's still around), and any new guy they may have their eyes on (Pat White?). I have high doubts that any of the vet CFL QBs bouncing around are will be given much consideration.

......Anthony Parker????? Nathan Coehoorn????.....Muamba????.......decisions...decisions...decisions....We have some tough ones to make...Kinda nice for a change :thup: :slight_smile:

mack on irving sports show said... the 2 and 8 record and the fact they can upgrade their cdn content were contributing factors. jyles and i quote said "i just started throwing and hopefully ill be ready to go by training camp".

1st and 4th overall.

our cdn content is lacking and we just picked up yet another draft pick.

mack also said jyles was on the last year of his contract and they werent even sure he was gonna resign so get something for him while u can helps too.

does anyone see us packaging a few of our picks now to try and maybe get one from edmonton or maybe a second rounder also? we have 7 picks now. 2 first rounders.. no 2nd rounders.. can we package a few of our later round picks for a second rounder aswell? macks on fire right now.

Trading away jyles to an interdivisional rival, especially one that had poorer QB play than us last season, does suck though. However Mack is making what decisions he has to make to improve the team. Teams that finish out of the playoffs like the Bombers have recently are supposed to have the choiciest picks to help turn their teams around. However due to mismanagement the team had given away all to many of those picks looking for a quick fix. Kudos to Mack for making the decisions, whether this was a hard decision for him or not, to make it right. Calgary, the top team in the CFL record wise was going into the draft with 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, the Blue as the worst team had 1. That kind of disparity wasn't going to help the team get better. Its the old adage, your CFL team is only as good as its Canadians. Its great to have a lot of import talent, but there's a large pool of import talent that can play football, there are other QBs that could be decent, and maybe that guy is Joey Elliott. The NI talent pool however is quite a bit smaller and you need to do what you can to upgrade that area. This trade allows the team to do that.

i agree and heres quite the interesting little tidbit about backup qb's... last season prior to starting for us, at the start of the year.. jyles had 1 career start under his belt.. just the 1. our backup this year.. elliot has 2 career starts under his belt. strange but true stats like this make you go.. hmmm...

buck got hurt last year also... yes he did.. our backup (jyles) came in and won all of 2 games. people on other sites are like "what if buck gets hurt" well, our backup last year won 2 games, im sure elliot could do the same :stuck_out_tongue:

This a QB driven league. We'll see how great this trade sounds when Buck goes down and we've got Joe Elliot to take his place. :oops:

Projected Finish: 4th in the East, no hope in hell for a cross-over, 4-14.

That's what we did WITH Jyles. Its great to assume that he would win more games this season in blue and gold, but he may not have. Again you're assuming Elliott won't be able to duplicate the 2 wins that Jyles put up on the board. As Killer points out Elliott comes in with the same number of starts under his belt and that Jyles did last year. To take Killer's point a little further, first start stats for both:

Elliott - 13/29 241 yards, 2TD 2 INT
Jyles - 7/13 99 yds, 1 TD 2 INT, pulled at the 1/2 in favour of Mike Bishop

You're assuming that Elliott won't be able to show some growth on his experience and be able to at least replicate 2 wins should Buck get hurt, or that there is someone in negotiations with the club who could do the same. Even if we replicate last season's record, the move allows the team to build on its Canadian depth for now and the future by adding 2 top players instead of just one. Also I just don't get all the Jyles love. Seriously. Yes Jyles had some great moments, however he fumbled more than is acceptable from your QB. Also he said on CJOB he would be ready for the start of the season from his shoulder injury last season. I'm sorry if you love Jyles that much but you CANNOT hand a starting job or #2 job to a QB who doesn't compete in training camp and only won 2 games for you last year in extended playing time. And the fact that he won't be ready to play until the start of the season should make you worry about his readiness to contribute. Like I said in a prior post, it sucks to see a guy who could be a good QB go to a division rival but Mack and co. have to build the best team they can, TEAM, not to stockpile good individual players. The trade is an exchange of one good player and hopefully add one quality NI this year and another next year. What good is keeping Jyles as QB anyway if you don't improve the talent around him.

Also a lot of assuming that Jyles will be the same player after that shoulder injury. No guarantee on that being the case.

How about Buck being the same after his MULTIPLE injuries.Having the most injury prone QB in the league as basically your only QB isn't too bright IMO.

Say what you will say about buck's injury history, and I'm not delusional and expecting he'll play all 18 games this year, but every time he was hurt his history has shown he has come back after each injury and managed win games. You can't say that about every QB. It shows the guy is determined to put in the work and get back on the field to compete. With Jyles, if there has been any question about him its been his attitude. Yes some of that is based on how he carried himself and answered questions last year at the introductory presser after Buck signed. His attitude will go a long way to determine how successful his recovery from the shoulder injury will go and right now that remains a ?.

No question when healthy Buck performs.No question that he's determined and has the perfect attitude.However, what happens should Buck knock on wood should after 2 or so games go down for the rest of the season?Can Joey Elliot REALLY carry you guys to the post season and/or further?

And what happens if Kevin Glenn hurts one of his knees again? Can Porter or Trafalis carry you guys to the post-season?

Yep, Porter’s proven that he can win games, he just needs playing time and some coaching attention to fine tune himself.Tafralis is one of those guys that you can throw into the game and he can do at least a decent job of leading the team.After that however, our QB depth blows.

Let's say he does get hurt in game 2 (knock on wood). What guarantee is there that Jyles can reverse his 2 win stat into even 5 wins if he starts say 10 games (.500) if there is no improvement in the overall talent on the team. There are few QBs in this league that have shown they can win games on their own with any regularity. Jyles is not one of them right now. Maybe he will be maybe he won't. And maybe you're right, maybe Elliott or whoever gets a shot after buck doesn't pan out and the trade ends up hurting the team in the short run. This trade is not about the short run. This trade is about improving 2 spots on the club for the long term. In exchange maybe it weakens our QB spot, but that would only be in the short term. Short term loss for long term gain, that's a win for the club.

From the guy who posted these gems in the past couple of months:

:lol: