Justin Goltz to start on Labour day

[url=http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/08/28/justin-goltz-shrugs-off-betrayal-prepares-to-once-again-take-reins-of-blue-bombers]http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/08/28/j ... ue-bombers[/url]

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Winnipeg/2013/08/28/1297460285546.jpg&size=250x600&quality=85

Three weeks after being demoted from starter to third-stringer, it appears Justin Goltz will be at quarterback when the Bombers battle the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Sunday in the 51st Labour Day Classic.

Gone are his feelings of betrayal. He is now thankful for having a job in football after two weeks of upheaval throughout the Bomber organization.

“It’s been a roller-coaster, but it’s a pleasure to be here, and you realize that when you see guys leaving week in and week out,? Goltz said. “You can’t really feel bad for yourself. You’re still part of something special. You’re still playing professional football. You have an opportunity, regardless of how things shake themselves out.?

Last week’s starter, Max Hall, didn’t practise on Wednesday because of a hand injury but will try to throw on Thursday. Buck Pierce has been ruled out of Sunday’s game with an upper-body injury the team won’t specify.

“There’s a lot of people who don’t want to talk about it, so I’m not going to,? head coach Tim Burke said. “I’ve been told not to say.?

Pierce’s unavailability means Goltz, Hall and newcomer Jason Boltus will suit up on Sunday at Mosaic Stadium. In other words, a trio that has three fewer career CFL starts (four) than the Riders have victories this season (seven) will attempt to end Winnipeg’s six-game losing streak.

“The realistic thing to look at here is probably Justin will start,? Burke said. “We haven’t told anybody that. Nobody’s been promised anything. If Max comes back (Thursday) and has a good day then that could change.?

Goltz obviously had no inkling he’d back at the top of the quarterback heap so soon after falling from No. 1 to No. 3 shortly after GM Joe Mack got fired on Aug. 9. Hall became the starter, with Pierce moving from No. 3 to No. 2, and Goltz said a few days later he was never told why the switch was made.

“You can ask around and nobody really gives you a straight answer,? Goltz told reporters on Aug. 12. “I haven’t necessarily taken the context clues and figured it out for myself yet. But I definitely feel betrayed at this point.?

The “betrayed? comment took on a life of its own over the next couple of days, considering Goltz had started just two games — and lost both — when he was demoted.

“I used one word that kind of got blown out proportion. Unfortunately that happens with the media sometimes,? Goltz said Wednesday. “Obviously I wasn’t pleased with how things shook out. The outside environment and the outside world had been told some things that obviously changed real quickly.

“But that happens. I have to be mature enough to realize that that happens when you change your GM and your CEO. The game plan switches, too. I had to grow up a little bit and realize that.?

Goltz has completed 57% of his passes this season and has tossed two touchdowns against three interceptions. He has been slow to make reads and hasn’t thrown the ball deep much, which those in the know attribute to his NCAA Division III background. Goltz, however, feels two weeks as the starter and then two weeks to sit back and watch again have aided in his growth.

“Any time you can step on the field, especially given the circumstances that are going on now, there’s been a lot of change in the last couple of weeks and it kind of makes you open your eyes a little bit and realize what you have being here,? he said. “So just the opportunity to step on the field again would be a pleasure.?

Pierce’s injured status means his $110,000 contract will be guaranteed for the rest of the season.

Seems inevitable as the only guy not injured. Here's hoping he can put together a solid game.

i don't understand the logic in keeping buck pierce and his $110,000 salary?
unless they've decided to bring him back next season and repeat the same mess again.

Not positive, but I think they can’t cut him while he’s injured.

That’s correct, you can’t cut an injured player. After this game his salary is guaranteed anyway, so cutting him after that wouldn’t serve much purpose except to create a roster opening.

What I don’t get is why they’re being so vague with his injury and not with Halls. It’s making it sound like Buck has a concussion.

to be honest, I’m surprised that Pierce only makes $110,000 per.

Did he recently renegotiate his contract and take a pay cut?

I’m certain Buck made much more than this early in the season as the designated starter.

Well if that’s the case…Then it looks like Buckie aka FRAGILE will be a B.B. for ever…I mean really,when was the last time this guy wasn’t hurt??? As for Goltz starting…I guess it was his turn to get his named pulled out of the magic hat
being a Q.B. is akin to being the town hose-bag in the PEG…Everybody gets a turn eventually!!! And if yer lucky ya can get sloppy seconds and thirds :wink: :cowboy:

...here's hoping the roughies take the bombers lightly and Goltz has a career high game #crossedfingers

HA !! HA !! I kind of hope that as well,not that it will most likely happen…but…it would be worth it too see,if the B.B.'s could pull off the upset of the year over the Omnipotent/Powerhouse/Unbeatable/Superteam of the Century.!!!
I mean the way things are going…we might as well stop the season right now…and award the Cup to the Riders. I mean they are a lock for it this year…Aren’t they ??? :lol: :roll: :wink:

Base salary plus incentives based on games played, i think.

You got to feel for those quarterbacks, man what a three ring circus they are being put through...

Stats:

Name Team GP PC PA YD YPP YPG TD INT LNG 300 RTG
Buck Pierce WPG QB 6 78 128 946 7.4 315 2 6 65 0 69.3
Justin Goltz WPG QB 7 50 88 521 5.9 174 2 3 47 0 67.5
Max Hall WPG QB 2 19 32 245 7.7 82 1 2 60 0 67.8

= 5 TDs and 11 Interceptions ... just brutal.
= all three between 55 and 60% completion rate ... just brutal.

The one thing we haven't been hearing about this year, because of all the other issues, is the performance of the offensive line ... just brutal ... both in terms of QB protection and opening holes for the running backs.

…the passenger to washroom ratio wasn’t so great on the Titanic but it never got written about either…

As I suggested before the not talked about injury to Pierce and his salary gaurenteed now and not being able to cut him he may just be headed to the 9 game for the rest of the season.
The Bombers new Brass appear to finally want to cut Pierce completely out of the QB circus completed but still believe he can still help mentor the younger QBS on the roster.
The 110K could open space to bring back Alex Brink. Brink was a casualty of the old regime. They need someone on that QB roster who has some signifigant pro playing expereince and he has that all in the CFL.
Hall has had one year of Minimal NFL Playing experience two season ago.
Goltz has almost no playing expereince until this season with the BBs
Boltus also had very little playing expereince with Hamilton but has gotten game experience in 4 UFL games in 2012 and now several Arena football games in the spring of 2013. Boltus has also spent 3 season under Marcel in Hamilton 2 as the 4th QB and one as the 3rd. Boltus also was the Omaha starter in the UFL in 2012 which Marcell was on the coaching staff.

I still think that the BBs have some top offensive skills players that have been unable to gain any traction with the QB inexpereince and poor play of Buck Pierce. Simpson/Ford 1-2 punch at RB. Edwanrds coming off 2 straight 1,000 yard seasons, Rookie of the year Nattews 1,000 yards 2012. Etienne and Kohlert young canadians contributing, Watson if he can stay healthy and OT Andre Douglas if he is finally healthy he and January are both all star OTs

Actually its not even guaranteed Goltz will start. He's taking the reps as the starter but Max Hall took some reps today and they are waiting to see how things play out in practice tomorrow before "officially" naming a starter. I think every one full expects Goltz will probably start though it sounds like Hall will probably get into the game at some point. But seriously he's got to be wondering what is going on when the 2 guys in front of him are hurt and the best they will commit to him is that well he's probably going to start, we'll see. Nice confidence builder.

I don't think the Bombers have announced their starter yet.

It will definitely be interesting; on one hand if Hall is healed you don't want to continue the roller coaster and he should be in. As otherwise it would be the same as before play them two games and pull, play two games and pull. On the other hand, many thought Goltz shouldn't have been pulled in the first place.

I guess the question is; who do they feel is the actual number one starter; if its Hall and he is healthy than he should play. If its goltz than he should play. If Boltus has been tearing up the strip in practices than why not have him play.

It might make for an interesting game, each of those quarterbacks really want to be the starter; if they get a chance to play they better really take the time this time to show they are worth the starting position it is up for grabs and any one of them at the moment really has a chance to take it

What a laughable situation in Winnipeg. Now they’ve added another QB to the Three Stooges. Yes, the offensive coaches in Winnipeg have been useless - - but the QBs are just as bad as the scheme. All four are pure garbage. What other team elevates it’s third stringer to starter…then back to 3rd string…then to starter again…and after the LDC & Banjo Bowl, Doltz will be down to 4th string.

Those responsible have been fired.

[url=https://www.google.ca/search?q=larry+curly+moe+and+shemp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=IAMhUpOqFcOxqgGs04Fw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=667#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=l8RkmzsQVJyd0M%3A%3BqtxuBD891lQssM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcache.desktopnexus.com%252Fthumbnails%252F957598-bigthumbnail.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fentertainment.desktopnexus.com%252Fwallpaper%252F957598%252F%3B450%3B281]https://www.google.ca/search?q=larry+cu ... B450%3B281[/url]

Larry,Curly,Moe and Shemp aka Buckie,Maxie,Jason and Justin :lol: :thup: :thdn: :thup: :thdn: :thup: :thdn: :thup: :thdn: :thup: :thdn: :thup: :thdn: :thup: :thdn: :cowboy: yer IN,yer OUT,yer IN,yer OUT,yer IN,yer OUT !!!