Justin Dunk: CFL directing teams to limit player salaries to cap floor in 2021

The NHL & NFL both have a salary floor that teams must spend to. This ensures that no team will purposefully drive down what they spend on players, in order to make even more money for ownership.
This happens in MLB baseball which neither has a salary floor or cap and some owners have been taking advantage of the situation for years.
Canadian baseball fans know this all to well as one team made an art of the practice

Thanks for the heads up

For what it is worth, John Lynch on the Rod Pedersen show said he heard that the league will be capping QB salaries at $300,000 in 2022.

You should’ve listen to Former Blue Bomber coach, Mike Kelly later on, who said CFL’ QBs were overpaid by $50,000. He felt the players should take the capped salary because where else are they going to make a quarter of a million dollars for a few months work. It allows the players to prepare for life after Football through their college degrees

Sure the NFL pays in the millions, but it asks for the players’ time all year round. The CFL allows players to play a game for half the year and they get to spend time with their family if they live within their means. The US QBs don’t live in their CFL community and don’t have jobs in the places where they play. Kelley said the CFL teams should help players get jobs within their community.

Kelly said when he was let go from the CFL, the only football job he was able to get was a high school coaching job in Florida. He loved coaching so much he took the job, He felt the players should do so also

Typical of the "Rash" to try and stir up discontent and negative news for the league.
The new reality is that teams lost a lot of money already and they will likely lose some in 2021. If players believe for one minute that they won't need to water down their wine, they are living in an alternate reality.

Frankly I don't even see how they will be allowed to have a season until 2022. So if players get a season in 2021, they can't count their lucky stars.

1 Like

That would be a huge cut for guys like Reilly and BLM. I suppose some contracts will be grandfathered if the league goes that route.

Maybe a cap between $400-500 would be easier to swallow. QBs have been earning north of $300,000 for quite some time now.

Looks like the CFL is completely redrawing their financial structures for clubs and this is a good thing.

Lowering salaries actually makes the league weak…Signing more CIS and Global Players makes the league more bush league than professional because the skill level isn’t close to what you could get from the NCAA…The CFL going that route couldn’t beat the best team the XFL would’ve had

Who says that American players will stop coming to the CFL if salaries are adjusted?

If they can’t make a NFL roster and want to play football, it is their next best option regardless of salary.

Reducing cap somewhere between 4 and 4.5 million and limiting maximum compensation per player is the smart thing to do.

2 Likes

This is so troubling, this will create a creative version of personal performance contracts and side deals, to attract and keep the experienced QB’s. Plus I also think the XFL attraction should not be ignored.

That was till this year there well above the floor.

Lalji thinks there should be a position cap

I think position caps will be very difficult to implement or even negotiate.

If there is a maximum for QBs, will there be a minimum that is different than the current minimum? The PA would want something back for that concession.

I think we'll more likley see a maximum salary being a percentage of the current cap. The NHL has a maximum one player can make is 20%. With football rosters being much bigger that percentage would be lower but that could stop a Rielly taking up such a big hit in the future.

1 Like

The XFL 3.0 will have to cut costs too. They aren’t immune to the new pandemic economics

The Salary Cap was imposed to save the NHL GMs from themselves. It ain’t working.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have 3 players(Tavares, Marner and Nylander) taking up over 20% of their cap and they are over the Cap limit. It ain’t working in Leafland. Spread the wealth among it’s roster

But he’s managed to do something quite unique. As a Western team Q.B. he’s managed to miss the playoffs 2 years running. With the West crossover guaranteed year after year, that’s 5th out of 5, 2 years in a row. It’s not easy to accomplish that so he must be worth the demise of a roster.

I like how you say “he’s” managed…

Should be a max salary for QB and another for all other positions combined.
Otherwise Saskatchewan will start signing kickers as Running backs if they can pay them more. Or sign receivers as Quarterbacks and then play them as receivers. :laughing: :joy:

Why not just one maximum salary that covers all positions?

A 10% max would limit top players to about $500,000, and 5% to half that. Maybe somewhere in between would work for the CFL.

1 Like

I think this is a better solution. Based on Reilly’s contract against a max cap is about 13.5%.

I do find it amusing people in the media when they comment on the CFL needing to cut costs and think singling out a contract like this as being the problem. They forget about the rest of the roster…but perhaps based on this contract Hervey forgot about the rest of it too :smiley: