Just Like "Buttering Bread With A Shovel"...

I'd like to provide some more "fuel for the bonfire" as we tearfully and sadly watch our beloved Lions season continue to go "up in smoke". My title has two inferences to it, but first I'll explain the more obvious one...

Now, obviously, why would anyone want to butter their bread using a shovel? That would make a seemingly simple task much too messy and complex. In my attempt to be metaphorical here...

Why do the other 5 teams we've played so far this season make simple tasks such as:
a) pass blocking b) running c) passing d) receiving e) pre-snap offensive motion
look so gosh darn easy. Other teams seem to have no trouble connecting with a 10 yard curl route, a simple screen pass, PASS BLOCKING, or confusing opposing defense's with a variety of motions before the snap of the ball. The Lions seem to make even the simplest of tasks as hard and confusing for themselves as they can. And I don't buy for one moment, as I sat and read Wally's comments that it continues to "mostly" be about the execution and NOT the offensive coordinator. I submit that even he (yes, Jacques) is making simple tasks such as providing a variety of looks and plays as difficult for himself as possible. After all, there is also a time and place for some "razzle-dazzle" gimmick plays. Those don't often work, but at least it keeps the defense thinking that the OC on the other sideline might have a thing or two "up his sleeve". What does the Lions offense have up its sleeve? Is there even a sleeve there? I watched, as we all did, in horror on Thursday night as Saskatchewan's Defensive End Freeman et al simply ran past whoever was blocking...er...standing in front of them all night long. It was almost as if the pass blockers had a sense of apathy all night long. Sadly, apathy is one of the SIMPLEST things of all to develop. You don't even have to try to develop it. It's not a far stretch to notice how even our wonderful Geroy does not try as hard to break through double and triple teaming anymore to make a circus catch. Paris is tired of getting killed out there by passes from QB's that can only be categorized as a "suicide variety" for receivers. Maybe he too is starting to wonder "why bother"?? And on and on it goes all the way to that tricky, walk-up, casual ticket buyer...

Will they continue to come, starting with August 27th?? Or will they, as well, find apathy much more appealing and spend their ticket money partying in some club in downtown Vancouver instead??

Here's an interesting stat for you (if you care)...the Lions longest losing streak ever was 13 games from 1957 to 1958. So...I suppose we've got a few games to go before we hit that dubious mark. 25 games, care of the Ottawa Rough Riders, is the longest ever. The Lions have the most consecutive losing seasons of any team with 9. But not all puts us as the doormat of the league. Do remember that those "other cats" from Hamilton had a 1-17 season (worst modern day season ever) recently in 2003 and a 2-16 season in 1997. Hmmm...maybe we're 2010's version of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of old...the veritable doormats of the league that, back then, meant an EASY win for your team when you played. And don't think for one minute that even Hamilton and Winnipeg are anxiously awaiting the opportunity to "pound the snot out of the Lions" like every other team has. Unless Wally, Jacques and company want us to become the BC Tiger-Cats...

I hope, as all the Lions players are on hiatus this week, they've got their "bread buttering" shovel going and thinking of ways to dig our way out of this hole. Otherwise, that same shovel will serve a dual purpose for YET ANOTHER SEASON that's gone "six feet under" all too soon.

I share in common a lot of what you're saying. I know this sounds dumbass, but when you're 1 and 6, why not try things outside the box (playbook), like letting the QB make the calls; give Jacques a game off. I know that's not how it is done, but why not try it? Dickenson calls the plays for Calgary. Yes, he's retired and is coaching, but he's not far from his active days, and his calls are brilliant. Why not let Travis or Casey try it from the sidelines, or even the active QB call it on instinct? Hey, Jacques sequences are not working! The 'execution' may not be working because they've lost faith in Jacques ability to make it work(?).

Well, let's see, we have two terrible teams in the Lions and Eskimos with questionable offense.

1. Jacques Chapdelaine: Criticized for not thinking outside-the-box, no new plays, no tricks, and little creativity. Lose.

2. Kevin Strasser: Criticized for formations no one has seen before, many new plays, several tricks, too much creativity. Lose.

Perhaps there is a balance between the two extremes but the offense displayed by both teams in their respective last games was almost incomprehensible.

Poor offensive line play is the root of most of the Lions' problems, with Chapdelaine's playbook being the other factor. I've said it before, but it bears repeating: when your O-line is crap, you can't expect your quarterback to hang in the pocket in order for long, intricate timing routes to develop down field. Buono is to blame for the line problems -- as GM, it's his job to make sure the quarterback has the protection he needs -- and Chapdelaine is to blame for the offense. Don't put this on the QBs or the receivers.

I don't think it's time to fire Buono. I do, however, think that in the offseason Braley needs to sit down with Wally and figure out whether it's still feasible for him to do double duty as both GM and head coach. One possible option is to promote Rich Stubler to head coach and let Wally concentrate on bringing in talent, particularly on the O-line, which has been a problem for years.