Just buy us a team, Bob

Hey Bob,

I think at this point, 5 seasons in and things going pretty horrible, I think your best move is to empower the GM to just "buy our way to a winning football team", whatever the cost. You've got to get us out of this constant FUNK we are in, and that may take some money. Printers was a good move, but he's no good out there if he doesn't have a team around him. I know it's easy for me to sit here and say this, becasue it's your money I'm talking about. But from an investement standpoint, if you just splurge one year and buy us a good team of verterans, than the following year you can let a bunch of them go to other teams and replace them with rookies. Then instead of having a team full of rookies, we let the veterans train them. You'll take a bath for one year, I'm not going to lie. But after that you can sleep easy.

We've tried doing the noble "build a team" thing and it ain't working. It's time to pull an Argos circa-1990s and just spend until it's fixed.

Thanks for listening.

2 words.
Salary Cap.

2 more words, green riders. they broke the cap,won the cup sell out the games,tweek the roster in the off season and despite a ton of injuries are contending again.

ya Montreal and Saskchewan
It cost them Money and Draft picks

And that hasn't hurt them at all they are the leaders in the East and the West respectively.

But then Bob would have to raise ticket prices 75% before we get our 25% discount.

I liked the original raise them 30% and then give us the 25%.

:roll:

Bob Young's bought the equivalent of 3 teams already

are you serious? buy us a team? you must be a leafs fan too.

buying a team is what happend in '98-99. sure we pulled the cup out our a$$es, but then we fell apart because we had absolutely no young talent or depth, and zero budget for scouting, managment, coaching, trainers, facilities.

the result? 2001-2008 season records for Hamilton.

Printers was a good move, but he's no good out there if he doesn't have a team around him.
Printers is over-rated and over-paid. It's a team sport where Casey trys to be a one man show, and the all star hero on every play.

did you see the debacle against BC?

Do you know why he go sacked so much?

Let me fill you in, it wasn't 'cause the oline didn't do their job. It's because casey printers holds the ball for 6-7 seconds, and looks to make the play on his feet.

If you didn't know this already... a QB's job is to THROW THE BALL!!! 7 of 14 attempts... the only reason it's not 7 of 22 is because of the 8 times he held the ball too long trying to make the play on his own, instead of as part of a team.

The O-line (if you'd like to blame them) did their job, and bought CP 3-4 seconds to read and throw. CP let the O-Line, and his recievers down by taking TWICE as long as he should.

I know it's easy for me to sit here and say this, becasue it's your money I'm talking about. But from an investement standpoint, [b] if you just splurge[/b]one year and buy us a good team of verterans....
Bob "splurged" 5 years ago, and [b]bought[/b] a team called The Hamilton Tiger-Cats

so be greatfull. 'cause otherwise the closest teams would be Toronto and Winipeg.

than the following year you can let a bunch of them go to other teams and replace them with rookies. Then instead of having a team full of rookies, we let the veterans train them.
Do veterans just grow on trees there, pal?

no, they grow out of (you guessed it) ROOKIES!!!! HOLY @#%$'N MAKINAW!!! Who would have figured that one out!?!

feel like going 42 years with out a championship, and not being legitimately in contention for one anytime in the forseeable future?

If you answered yes to this question, then your above statement is the answer to all our woes.

You'll take a bath for one year, I'm not going to lie. But after that you can sleep easy.
wait... if I've read this properly, you are tired of losing, but would suggest completely throwing a a couple of seasons to build a corps of veteran players?

No one, in football, from owner, to gm, coach, player, waterboy, mascot, or fan anywhere, wouldever, INTENTIONALLY sets themselfs up to lose.

That just goes against everything that IS football.

Battle, determination, grit, and compitition.

We've tried doing the noble "build a team" thing and it ain't working. It's time to pull an Argos circa-1990s and just spend until it's fixed.
Pull a [b]WHO?!?!!?[/b] what!!!?? did you [b]seriously just say that?!?!!!?!???!!!![/b]

Hey guess what Steeltown? This guy thinks....

[b]It's time to pull an Argos...[/b]
I...
I'm dumbfounded.
nearly at a loss of words.

It's not the city, or the players, or the record that makes me hate being a Cats fan... it's Cats fans like this that do it.

Thanks for listening.
yeah.... unfortunately I heard you loud and clear.

and not only did you manage to insult everything that is Hamilton football, you've completely (in my personal opinion) discredited yourself as an informative, edjucated, thoughtfull and "read-worthy" poster, whom may have even the slightest understanding of football as a sport.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion LB74.

Maybe we fans should have an Appreciation Day for Bob very soon.
It may be tough for us fans to watch this team now but its HIS money that's being wasted on the bad hiring decisions that resulted in all of this turmoil.

Good post LB74. Well said.
And I agree mr62cats. I think we have to remember the days when this team was truly on life support. For a while there, I thought we were toast.

I won't forget that.

And, Ivor Wynne is a far better venue from the work (and philosophies) of Bob.

Tone down the rhetoric LB74. This isn't the federal leader's debate. :wink:

My main point is to do what other team's, Toronto in 90s, Montreal and Saskatchewan most recently, have done. That is, forget the salary cap, just buy our way to a good team. Pick veterans from wherever you can find them, and take the penalties that are handed out for going over the cap. Then in FOLLOWING seasons, after you've established a winning team, you don't have to go so overboard. You can then start developing new players alongside a veteran team.

and not only did you manage to insult everything that is Hamilton football, you've completely (in my personal opinion) discredited yourself as an informative, edjucated, thoughtfull and "read-worthy" poster, whom may have even the slightest understanding of football as a sport.
Wow haha. I'm so proud of the fact that my simple suggestion to stack our team full of veterans at Bob's expense created such an outrage. I hope everything is OK with your life. And I don't mean that to be snot nosed. I mean that because anyone that responds with such volcanic rage to a reasonably reasonable suggestion probably has some issues they need to deal with.

And slodrive2, I remember the days when the team was on life support, with church-like collection jars floating around the stadium. And I remember stuffing $20s into them. I fully appreaciate the fact we are lucky to have a team. But if we keep losing for another 5-6 years, we might be faced with not have a team again when the casual fan base is eroded. That is why I suggested what I did. If Bob is going to spend whatever million supporting this team, drop another million and buy us a defensive and offensive line full of veterans.