Jurior Football (CJFL/LFJQ)

Let me at um Let me at um!

I'd like a refill and a pack of cigarettes, Salem, full flavor, menthol, 100s, please.

:cowboy:

so what do you want to know? I'm not talking w/o my lawyer.

Victoria Payless became the Vancouver Island Sharks, who became the Victoria Rebels. The teams aren’t defunct, just the names. Interestingly, the Victoria Rebels major sponsor, a fellow from Nanaimo, kind of hijacked the team a couple of seasons ago and moved the team to Nanaimo. He wanted, from what I hear, to call the team the Nanaimo Rebels, but a few of the old timers in Victoria, headed mostly by coach John Cardilicchia, managed to put together a new team and they kept the name Rebels. As a result, the Nanaimo team are called the Raiders - quite appropriate considering the history of their formation! The Victoria Rebels then hired a new head coach from Alberta (Paul Orazietti)and John Cardillichia moved on the the executive of the team. The Rebels recently completed their first season with a crop of very young players who replaced the large number of players who left for Nanaimo. The team finished with a very respectable 3-7 record, and with most of their players returning and a few Nanaimo players coming “home”, will be a force in the league this year.

Actually, K-KBBAP, the Nanaimo team is almost completely the old Rebels team from Victoria. Maybe the franchise moved there, but the coaching staff and vast majority of the players are from the Rebels organization. Victoria didn't "almost move there", it (or at least the players and coaches" DID move there. But the Rebels survive in Victoria still, for which those of us in the city who are football fans are very thankful.

I’m glad that Nanaimo has a CJFL team now, it’s sad that Richmond lost theirs, but since they are a suburb of Vancouver, their fans I imagine will be happy and content with the BC Lions.

You forgot one of the most successful CJFL teams ever, the Saskatoon Hilltops. Regina's team is now the Thunder

Richmond didn't move any where....They just quit playing in the Early 90's....

I’m asking for the Defuct teams, but I’m a fan of the Hittops as well.

GO HILLTOPS!!!

Kanga,

(wow - do you ever put up with a lot of shid from the mods dude) ...

I believe the Ft. Gary Lions and the St. James Rods also had junior teams at one point. Unsure as I believe they folded sometime in the 80s.

The tri-city bulldogs actually still exist. They play in the NFC (northern football conference). I didn't realize their roots were from junior.

Hope that helps ya some ..

StatiK76
GO BOMBERS!!!

thanks, mate!

confirmed ... Here's a quick blurb on what happened to junior football in Manitoba. Its really too bad the way things went ... Football Manitoba itself was a real mess for a while.

http://winnipegrifles.com/history

StatiK76
GO BOMBERS!!!

I would love to see Flin Flon get a CJFL TEAM or a team in the WHL.

wouldn't you?

Hah .. I gotta say, i'd like to see as many small town/cities get junior teams .. as many as possible.

However, a city like Brandon is deserved of a team before Flin Flon in my opinion.

StatiK76
GO BOMBERS!!!

Brandon has the W Kings, FF has nothing, if Brandon gets a CJFL team though, I will not be against it. would rather see FF though, if they could do it

In fact, I would rather have the junior teams all play in non CFL (and NHL or potential NHL) cities, that would not included suburbs of CFL cities since they are in the CFL city limits, and only have competition between the CFL markets and non CFL cities in the CIS. That will likely never happen, cuz more people live in the big CFL cities, but I think that interest would be better in the smaller cities, if they can do it.

The only reason that Melbourne has so many suburb junior and pro teams in Australia is because we virtually don't have any minor cities to put them in. Australia has a pop of 20 million, 10 million less than Canada, and most of the people live in the major cities on the coast.

The same is somewhat true for Canada, but you guys have a few cities that could support junior teams that don't have one yet, from what I see. Plus, you have cities close to the big cities merging with them and become suburbs of that city. Plus, you have Toronto and Hamilton and it's close cities potentially become one big metropolis someday like Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington DC. That's not the case in Australia, the cities that have merged did, and there isn't any huge metropolis on the way.

Both counties are similar, but very different.

Hah! That about sums it up … yup! I couldn’t agree more … so true.

StatiK76
GO BOMBERS!!!

Sorry, long rant, just had to get all that out of me.

Flin Flon had a WHL team many moons ago. Bobby Clark and Reggie Leach both played for the Flin Flon something or another ( I think Bombers)...

Kamloops Cowboys Were a member of the BCJFL

just like to see Flin Flon get a junior team