June Jones on ESPN

Exactly what I thought.

But maybe not the ideal strategy for a coach who has other things to think about besides pleasing an audience that doesn’t care about the CFL. A great skill for the talk show circuit, though, for what it’s worth.

Well masoli did a very stupid thing that costs the ticats the game. So he better be watching his back.

SeaFiddle, great to see you back in fighting form on game day!

I don't speak for Lenny, but my guess is that he took issue with the "JF could be a starter now" comment, rather than the "JF will be gone after 2019 if he is not a starter" comment. Patience, Grasshopper - by all accounts he is getting better every week.

I think a lot of us agree that Johnny will be gone after 2019. Some of us believe that to be the case whether he becomes the Ticats' starter or not. Perhaps he would choose an NFL practice roster spot over a starting job in the CFL. Even more likely, he would take an NFL backup gig over a CFL starting gig, based on everything he has said to date.

Some fans are OK with that because they are hoping he will win us a Grey Cup during his temporary stay with the team. Heck, I would take that outcome even if it meant a return to our familiar doormat territory for a few years afterwards. It's been so long!

Others are probably concerned about the scenario where we don't win the Grey Cup (by some miracle), Johnny leaves, and we lose Masoli as well based on the unaffordability of hanging on to both in 2019, or Jeremiah's choice to sign elsewhere as a free agent in 2020 who feels unloved by his team. That could leave us with no viable starter in 2020. For those of us who were fans of the team in 2017 and will be fans in 2020 no matter what, that particular scenario is not very appealing.

Ex Pat, You bring up valid points. I don’t blame TiCat fans for being concerned about that scenario. I don’t think that will happen though.

First, I don’t think JF would go back to the NFL to be a backup. It’s not about money for him, it’s about playing football. If he is starting somewhere in the CFL I believe he would take that over sitting in the NFL. He’s been there done that.

Second, the CFL suits his style of play much better than the NFL. Unless he had the opportunity to go somewhere where he could be Johnny Football and with a coach that would support that I don’t see him going back. It would be a crazy scenario that Jones and Manziel would both go back to some team in the NFL. Anything is possible but I see that as highly improbable.

I think there is a much better chance that JF remains in the CFL but leaves Hamilton (if he is not the starter.) Why would he stay here when other teams would be looking for a starter at that point? That could include Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, and BC. I think Toronto would be the most appealing to JF and will Ray still be playing after two more years?

Anyway, we have a tough game tonight. Reilly impressed me more than any other QB I have seen yet. He definitely will be tough in the clutch. It’s going to take playing a mistake free game to have any chance. If the TiCats don’t win it will be interesting to see how JJ will spin it.

“Masoli under fire”…you are kidding, right…because you would have had to miss the last half of last year’s games…he’s handled things pretty well.

He was babble mouth from the start. Welcome to the realization!

JM has proven himself to be decent, not a star but decent. If thatz what we Cats fans are happy with, so be it. Welcome to another decade of Grey Cup failure!

After JJ messes up Masoli’s head with his babblemouthing, Cats will need a starting QB as well.

^^^This^^^, I think if Johnny Manziel shows he is mentally recovered and is a solid citizen he will get an opportunity to sign a NFL contract even if his butt never leaves the bench. He would only be 27 years old and still entering his prime.

Remember this; Johnny Manziel’s boyhood idol was Doug Flutie. How many years did Flutie play in the CFL?

My boyhood idol was Bernie Faloney and I never played past High School. What’s your point?

I always liked Rocky DiPietro. Thought I might play slotback in high school, just like him. But they put me on the O-line.

My point is that since his idol Flutie played in the CFL for a number of years that maybe JF would be more likely to play longer than 2 years in the CFL. You do know that JF’s conversations with Flutie about the CFL were influential in his decision to look north for football right? Also Fluties latest statements about Manziel is that he should consider playing in the CFL longer than 2 years.

If Johnny starts sporting a mullet we’ll know that Flutie is really calling the shots.

Well Masoli & the boys didn’t look too shabby against Edmonton…he’s as good as last year and maybe better.

He’s 65 years old…there is NO team in the NFL that is going to take him on as anything other than a consultant…and he had those opportunities after SMU…he’s gonna play the guy(s) that get him a championship…he’s always been about winning