June Jones Junks Job Offer

Hawaii Offer: "No coach in their right mind would accept."

2 Likes

June Jones and Timmy Chang in the same article. Seems to me I mentioned something like that a couple of days ago... lol

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

I was actually thinking the exact same thing after reading it .

I wonder if instead he's looking at the USFL. . .they still have 2 teams that have yet to name a head coach.

1 Like

It was a 2-year offer and the University was dictating his assistant coaches for him.

2 Likes

It's possible . Jones did coach the "Houston Something or Others" or whatever their name was in the XFL before it went belly up , so anything's possible I guess.

I mean if Bart "Count Chocula" Andrus can coach there well I guess anybody who has a pulse is a possibility for that league .

1 Like

He's dead on.
He deserves better. No way he takes that offer.

3 Likes

"Laid back leadership style" takes longer than 2 years to kick in at the collegiate level.

2 Likes

Hawaii hired Timmy Chang.

Maybe they wanted Jones' successor on staff and that's what did it.
Maybe that person was Timmy Chang?

Chang isn't qualified for this job, and Jones wasn't going to do the recruiting.

My gut says they told Jones they wanted Chang on staff, hence the 2 year deal and his comments about assistants.

I guess Montreal breathed a sigh of relief they weren't losing Reinhold and Glanville doesn't have to dust off his whistle.

Wow. Just.... wow.
Chang was a hero there. Jones was trapped.

This is just silly.

1 Like

Crash- ESPN now saying you were right. Chang WAS to be the designated successor to Jones. My guess was they wanted Jones as a mentor but were going to give Chang real authority.

Yep.
Not a bad idea from Hawaii's perspective, but all parties have to be on board.
Jones didn't seem to care that Coach O was staff here, and that was not his decision. The difference is O did very little, says he learned alot of Offence from Jones but it was clear he was the future and Jones was a stop gap.

Hawaii is different, Jones could want that job as a bridge to retirement and doesn't yet want a figure head type roll. Not to mention Chang has accomplished about as much as Bear Woods as a coach. O came with some credibility.

The fact that they hired Chang so quickly made me put the pieces together.

Another issue with the 2-year deal is Jones talking about the difficulty of recruiting players if he was only going to be around for a short time. That's only half of an NCAA "career" for the players.

1 Like

Hire Chang Now !!

Bring back Zontar!

1 Like

He shall not grow old as we grow old.

2 Likes

I can see the Chang coaching staff now . OC Casey Printers , DC Zeke Moreno , STC Chad Rempel , QB C Richie Williams , WR C Prechae Rodriguez , and OL C Peter Dyakowski ,
2008 wasn't exactly the golden age of TiCat football with a 3- 15 record .

Pat Lynch (painful times in section 7)

2 Likes

Quinton Porter beating Anthony Calvillo in a shootout at IWS was about the only highlight of that season. :smile:

1 Like