July 29th Vs Toronto

At this point I’m uncertain if it’s been Carter who has caused his own inconsistency so far this season or if it has been a lack of Glenn throwing to him.
This game Glenn put it up there for Carter to go after and Carter kept making plays. Glenn wasn’t doing that past games. Carter will almost certainly draw the teams #1 CB game in and game out and likely won’t be totally open all the time. Gotta just put it up their and let him get it like they did this game.

I still worry about Carter though. He’s the kind of guy who absolutely needs to get his hands on the ball, he needs to be in the spotlight, and when he is not he is liable to start making problems on the field and in the locker room. So if he has a few games in a row where he isn’t getting the ball he could become a problem.
It was nice to see Owens having talks with him on the sidelines during the game. Owens is a true team player.

Our play calling still needs to vastly improve. McAdoo still doesn’t seem to understand what to call when a team is coming with consistently heavy pressure.

Jones has to stop calling the 3 man rush in 2nd and long situations. Giving Ricky Ray time, especially with solid receiving threats in place is a bad idea. Doesn’t matter how good your coverage is, if you don’t pressure the great QBs they will make a play. Will be worse against QBs who can run at all.

Yeah…zero chance that they would move him for Carter. The real question is what exactly has Glenn been doing wrong that one would be unhappy with him? He has been pretty darned solid and aside from the couple early and concerning picks has looked great.

Ray aside, he is right there for YPG (4th overall and only 6ypg from 2nd)
71% completion rate
2nd only to Harris in TD, with a game in hand.
2% int ratio (and has seemingly been lowering that)
104 QB rating

Any move for Franklin here and now (value goes down as the season progresses) is likely Bagg, JSJ and a swapping of picks that includes a Rider 1st round and a 3rd round Esk coming back.

Even further…Esks have arguably the best receivers in the league when healthy…but would likely like to improve their national depth there. When healthy an argument can be made for Sask, BC and Edmonton as to whom has the best group.

The O started a bit slow, but looked really good overall. The run game was impressive....I thought they should run more when they were getting 7.2 yards per touch in the first half in effort to wear out that DL in the heat...but tough to argue with 18 attempts and 100+ yards.

D had some serious issues. I thought SAM better...Rodgers had a bad bad game but was also not at 100%....Lyles was a liability a lot of times. He is going to need to elevate or someone else needs a look.

I agree, but they still need to play one of the young q.b.'s to get some playing time imo. Somehow, maybe if they start winning by a large amount ?

That's good too, all I'm saying is we need to have an adequate back up, and it would be nice to get them some playing time, if that's possible

Bingo, finally someone is picking up what I'm trying to say, thank you.

Watching a bit of the game and I am still just blown away when you compare the Rider success when bringing 4 vs bringing 3. Amazing they still run that much 4.

Toronto also lacked 2 of their best on the DL...so they definitely can not be sitting on their heels an relishing in the ground attack too much this week in practice...though they saw opportunity and struck at it, so well done there.

But who in the last 3 decades has had any success with this? Nobody that I am aware of.

I would love to see it but it is just too evolved of a league now…especially when one mixes in salary cap. The detail that goes into implementing a gameplan now is so advanced to even 10 years ago that it is pretty tough to do and be competitive with it. QB is generally a position where the repetition allows them to refine things within a game and disrupting that can be tragic in results.

Throwing someone in in garbage time…great. Look at Calgary…massive lead at half so they had the opportunity to play 2nd string guys all around for a half a game…makes total sense.

How many games have been decided by 1 score or less this season…there is just not a lot of margin of error to do these things any more.

But who in the last 3 decades has had any success with this? Nobody that I am aware of.

I would love to see it but it is just too evolved of a league now...especially when one mixes in salary cap. The detail that goes into implementing a gameplan now is so advanced to even 10 years ago that it is pretty tough to do and be competitive with it. QB is generally a position where the repetition allows them to refine things within a game and disrupting that can be tragic in results.

Throwing someone in in garbage time...great. Look at Calgary...massive lead at half so they had the opportunity to play 2nd string guys all around for a half a game....makes total sense.

How many games have been decided by 1 score or less this season...there is just not a lot of margin of error to do these things any more.
[/quote]
There are none in the last 30 years that I can remember either. But I do remember the Dunnigan/Printers controversy a dozen years ago - being a BC fan back then ended right then and there. Thus now I know why BigJimmyG is upset with Jones, Buono is the one who upsets me, ha ha gotta laugh at it really. And yea, the games this season have been exciting entertainment to watch. Jones was happy with the earned results that continued on into the locker room.
[/quote]
If you think that I'm upset with how we are using our qb's well then nope your dead wrong. I wasn't happy about losing Darian but that is water under the bridge. I have no real issue with Glenn but I also have no delusions that he is the answer either. I believe Jones doesn't either so actually as far as having Glenn here for now is fine.

Jones has ticked me off on some of his challenges and some of his refusal to adjust especially the defensive coverage until it was far too late. Yes I realize injuries dictate some things but still if you look back at the Bomber game and how many times we got burned until finally Jones brought more heat and less 3 man front. That is what ticks me off.

Jones actually had probably his best game as a HC in my opinion in the last one (Toronto) he still challenged a very suspect play but I did hear that the commentators were saying Jones didn't think it was a penalty but Murphs and some spotters said to throw the flag. Of course it wasn't a penalty and we lost a time out but again if it was others that influenced Jones to throw it I will cut him some slack on that. Still though as the HC he should do what he feels is right.

Yes it would be great to get the backups into games and see what we have or what we don't but like Depop said most games don't allow that luxury unless your beating someone bad or getting beat bad. Hopefully the latter doesn't happen and I doubt the first is likely to happen either, so most likely unless Glenn gets hurt which no one (I hope) wants to happen the chances of seeing Bridge or Williams isn't great. Now if we are out of the playoffs again not what we need or want, then it would make sense to assess both Bridge and Williams. So I guess the best we can hope for is Glenn to stay healthy and we are into the thick of things until the end.

Before I get on the big band wagon, the Riders need to "at least" split the Home and Home with BC 1-1.
If not, then we're basically back where we were before this win.....in it real deep. :cowboy:

I’d say at least one of the next 3…but agreed you kinda have to hope for a split at least in back to backs.

Still some major concerns on D

I was at the game, I am not sure if in the 1st quarter, Glenn was throwing that bad, or all the receivers where not where they needed to be. The second quarter was a vast improvement. Our O line still needs lots of work, to many open lanes to our QB. Just not solid yet. Special teams... punt side ok, receiving needs a lot more work, ball carrier has little forward blocking it seems. Our D is getting a bit better, but still miss wide open receivers. D line well the sacks tell the tale, or Toronto's O line sucks like ours.

It was a win, I will take it, but we are far from being real contenders for a cup. I hope they keep getting better, time will tell. Oh!! damn it was hot in the nose bleed section on the east side, and no breeze. LOL well the beer went down fine!!

Well regardless jimmy, we need 2 q.b.'s to be success full, To put it more simply. If Glen goes down then we will see what we have I guess, seems like no one wants to go there, but I think that's being a bit naive, hopefully one of our backups will do the job if called upon, go riders , split in b.c.

I think it is grossly naive to want to put in a backup in a one score game.

Sure it would be great to see what we have for back ups but Jones isn’t going to pull Glenn unless he is hurt or the score is lopsided. Neither scenarios would be great because lets face it, the odds of us blowing many teams out is not great so more likely we would be the ones getting blowed out. If Glenn is hurt then that isn’t a good situation either. The only other likely scenario where the back ups would get any significant time playing is if we are out of contention for the playoffs but again nobody wants that to play out either.

I guess there's always Vince young ? I noticed ray got injured, that's how fast it can happen,.

That isn’t even funny.