July 1st Tail Gate Party

Congratulations to the Gades fans who tailgated at Landsdowne Park on Canada Day!!!
July 1st should have been the Home Opener and the Gades Nation turned out to celebrate.
Let's hope July 1st 07 will be the season opener.

By the way I haven't got my season ticket refund yet, anyone else in the same boat?

Yes, it was great day.

Snowbirds had nothing better to do so they flew over Frank Clair stadium.

Apart from the obvious great fun, food and drinks and a chance to catch up with people, I think it did sometrhing far more important.

It rekindled the passion and the emotion to have the CFL return here for 07.

We got good coverage from local A-Channel and from Citizen.

I wonder whether Matt Sekeres' story today tho will make it among the headlines on this site's home page.

As for season tix info, see my post in this thread.

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6995]http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?name=PNphpB ... pic&t=6995[/url]

Thanks for the info sobrien!! Looks like I'll get my refund tomorrow I'm an "M"

How many people attended? Less than 20 wasn’t it?

All told, about two dozen inc. Matt Sekeres of Citizen.

Not bad, considering thetre's no team and it was Canada Day.

Not to denegrade your faithfulness and your obvious dedication, but no, it really doesn't merit a part in the news as far as I am concerned. When I read it in the Sun, that was my initial reaction.

Is that counting the security guards too?

Weren't any --- we were left to do whatever.

Well, it wasn't exactly front-page news either here or among the other papers that picked it up.

Whole point is that Gades' fans and others supporting return of CFL here don't want to let League forget about city.

FTR: Tho I live here and have supported return of CFL, I'm an Als' fan.

Eh. I came across this thread while searching something else. Funny to read about it over a year later.

The deal is, we didn't do it to get attention, really. Our best tailgate as a group was July 1st 2005. We had 30-40 people drop by, many of us meeting for the first time. We had a great time, followed by the overtime win against Montreal, the best game in the team's short history.

When the team was "suspended" in 2006, one fan said "Screw them, it won't prevent me from tailgating July 1st". So we did anyway. One guy brought a TV to watch the previous year's game, for lack of a better option.

We didn't go out and contact all media in the city or try to get every single fan there to make some kind of point. It was a specific group having a get-together. I don't recall the specifics of how the media found out.

Unfortunately, it got more or less treated as though we were trying to accomplish that very thing. We took a few light shots in some other papers, but whatever. We had a good time with it and THAT was the point.