Josh Maveety

Ive seen his name thrown around on the boards a lot lately in regard to Medlock being a free agent and what not. My question is how many of you have actually seen him kick? Ive seen a lot of "Maveety wont cut it next year" stuff on the boards, but I have no doubts that many of you have ever seen him kick a ball.

I attended my fair share of Ti-Cat practices last season and loved watching Meddy and Maveety kick. Maveety is no scrub thats for sure, from what I saw he is a more than capable kicker and him having a Canadian passport is always an up side. The Ti-Cats wouldnt have kept him around ALL last season if they didnt think he was a good kicker especially since they new Medlock leaving for the NFL was a serious issue that they would have to face this off-season.

Ill stick my kneck out for him here, I think he will be a VERY productive kicker in the CFL. Whether its with the Ti-Cats or another team, he will be a successful kicker in the CFL for years to come.

My main point is, dont start calling a player incapable when youve never seen him play.

Disregard to anyone who has actually seen him kick.

heres a highlight package of Josh doing his thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXZ9_2W-LT8

In 2010 Maveety was 20-28 on FG attempts but was just 2-7 from beyond 40 yards
In 2009 he was 5-17 on FG attempts and 0-4 from 40+ yards. (Neither of those are typos)

Also in 2009 Maveety's punting was so bad that Bishop's had someone else take over that duty in 2010

I'm not saying he can or can't be successful, but people have a right to be worried if he's our kicker this season. At least until he proves himself in actual game situations, not just practice.

Those stats are horrid…
I haven’t seen him kick but if those are his numbers I don’t know if I want to, and I don’t care how good you look in practice a game is totally different.

Relax everyone, if Justin doesn’t return there will be several players
in competition trying to win the kicking job and/or punting job or both.

Regarding Makaveli’s comment… I don’t care how good you look in practice a game is totally different.

I saw Special Teams Coach Scott Fawcett work almost the whole practice every day with Josh and Justin
on their kicking and punting techniques and Josh got to kick together with the Special teams units as well.

I had never seen the Tiger Cats devote daily individual coaching time to any kicker and punter before.

I didn’t watch them practice closely enough to know how much Josh’s kicking and punting improved

but if his kicking progressed as much as it did from his 2009 season results to his 2010 season results,
when he didn’t have the benefit of intensive professional coaching, he may turn heads at training camp.

P.S.

The numbers Josh had in 2009 were a result of the years of practice and games he had played up to and including 2009

The numbers Josh had in 2010 were a result of the years of practice and games he had played up to and including 2010

but they don’t include the year of professional coaching and practice that Josh had kicking and punting in the 2011 year.