Joseph Gets a contract extension with T.O.

Because of his steller year with Toronto last year? This makes no sense. Someone please shed some light as I am really getting confused as to logic in contract negotiations in the last couple of years.

Cut and paste:

[url=http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=235579&lid=sublink03&lpos=headlines_main]http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=235579&lid= ... lines_main[/url]

The Toronto Argonauts and newly acquired quarterback Kerry Joseph agreed to a contract extension through the 2009 season Wednesday.

Financial details weren't available

Joseph was scheduled to make $250,000 this year but was looking to be paid on par with other CFL starters, many of whom make between $300,000 and $350,000.

''This has been one of my better experiences negotiating a contract,'' Argos' vice president and general manager Adam Rita said. ''Kerry wanted to be here and we wanted him here. We plan on having him be a part of the Argos for awhile. This cements the best 1-2 combination at the quarterback position in the league.''

Acquired by the Argos last month, along with a third-round pick in the 2010 CFL Draft, Joseph was the league's outstanding player in 2007, throwing for 4,002 yards and 24 touchdowns while leading the Saskatchewan Roughriders to the Grey Cup championship.

''I am excited about this extension and thankful to the Argonauts organization which has gone above and beyond to get this deal done at a fast pace,'' remarked Joseph. ''Both the Argonauts and the city of Toronto have welcomed me with open arms and I'm looking forward to going out and playing for this organization which has done so much for me. I am so happy to be an Argonaut.''

Clearly they didn't want him to become a free agent after the season, and thought it would be cheaper to lock him up now rather than later.

Not a bad move if they plan on him being their guy. I'm sure Montreal will be casting longing eyes in the direction of any free agent QB's next offseason.

lol....training camp hasn't even started yet, and they re-sign him. I would've waited. What if he gets injured??

So what if he does? There are no guaranteed contracts in the CFL. They could extend his contract to 2035 and still cut him tomorrow with no hit financially.

This is a smart move by Toronto it shows Joseph they are committed to him and it shows the city they are committed to improving the team.

I don't believe you can cut a player who is on the injured list. He has to be cleared to play and come off that list, then you can cut him. Also if he suffers a long term major injury, there is some rules around that too (I think to the end of the season at least) If he just plain sucks, you can gong him anytime really!

Ziegmund, that's basically corret, but nothing extends beyond the present season that I'm aware of.

Good luck KJ. Thanks for the MVP season and for the championship. Wish the trade had not been made. Hope to see you playing against Riders in the cup in Montreal.