Johnson Admits Wrong Call

I'm reading a lot of how Hamilton got screwed by this....but nowhere did the league say the were wrong to not call it a fumble, they only said it was a catch

And think they are very intentionally leaving that out, because that would be removing any doubt about it changing the outcome of the game. Incomplete, or down by contact, Ottawa still makes that kick.

Admitting it was fumble means admitting Ottawa never should have got those points.

https://twitter.com/si_nfl/status/787800372547026944

That's what they are thinking !
The CFL is still trying to get it right . I'm sure they will make some changes . They still get it right most of the time . The whining and snivelling on here is getting ridiculous . If people get that upset ... stop watching and go do something else !

Ya, how dare CFL fans come to a forum site to discuss and express their opinions.

I applaud the CFL for trying to do the right thing . Not quite perfected yet but could you imagine the fiasco with no instant replay ? They blow 1 or 2 calls in a year and people are setting them selves on fire. Getting the calls right 98 - 99% of the time is better than zero.

I don't see why they would admit to one and not the other...Maybe it was not a fumble and Ottawa was the one that got screwed...even though
they still won

Love it . Just needs the coin in his hand to flip

Here is the skinny on the call

Secondly, our replay official went down a path of catch-no catch as opposed to ruling it as a catch – which it was – and dealing with the down by contact.

Drew Edwards: Why would he do that?

Glen Johnson: [b][i]As soon as something is reviewable, all aspects of a play that are reviewable can be changed. So, for example, if a coach challenges defensive pass interference, we look at all challengeable elements as well as the DPI. So let’s say the quarterback was across the line of scrimmage when he threw the ball and we discover that while we’re doing the review, we fix that as well. So that’s the mindset the replay official has: fix all the things that are challengeable.

In this case, when the replay official started to look at it his initial reaction was ‘he’s not under control, stumbling and falling backwards, so he’s got to survive contact with the ground.’ That was his initial approach to it, which wasn’t correct: it met the standard of a catch. He should have gotten past that quickly and then looked at the thing that was directly challenged.

So we had a collision of two events on the same play that were incorrect and the right thing wasn’t done[/i][/b].

Drew Edwards: So the issue of whether Greg Ellingson fumbled the football was never really examined.

Glen Johnson: They stopped short of that.

More here

[url=http://3downnation.com/2016/10/17/replay-qa-cfl-vp-glen-johnson-explains-went-wrong-ticats-loss-redblacks/]http://3downnation.com/2016/10/17/repla ... redblacks/[/url]

And meanwhile over at CFL Command Centre......... :roll: replay official Johnny Walker is looking at video replay and making the "right" call :stuck_out_tongue: :?

Maybe they should bring in a 3 man crew to look at reviews and make the "right" call , ya that will solve the problem !!! :roll: :cowboy:

[b]In this case, when the replay official started to look at it his initial reaction was ‘he’s not under control, stumbling and falling backwards, so he’s got to survive contact with the ground.’ That was his initial approach to it, which wasn’t correct: it met the standard of a catch. He should have gotten past that quickly and then looked at the thing that was directly challenged.

So we had a collision of two events on the same play that were incorrect and the right thing wasn’t done.

Drew Edwards: So the issue of whether Greg Ellingson fumbled the football was never really examined.

Glen Johnson: They stopped short of that.[/b]

Well apparently that is because they never even decided if it was a fumble or not...which was what was challenged on the play...if you don't think this is dumb then I can't help you man.

No its not dumb....its wrong but its not dumb
The replay guy ruled that it was incomplete....right or wrong(and he was wrong) there was no reason to rule as to whether or not it was a fumble.
But that's my whole point to begin with
You cant say that Ham was screwed because they never ruled as to whether or not it was a fumble

Yes, you can’t say that HAM was screwed by the non call, just like in the 2013 semifinal you can’t say MTL was screwed by a non-call on HAM for pass interference in the endzone on the 2nd to last play of the 2013 semifinal which would have won them the game, because it was never ruled interference. :wink:

I seem to recall a lot of MTL fans were real upset by a call that never happened.

But the league admitted it was interference....they even changed the replay rules because of it! So yes Montreal was screwed by it But my point remains that the league has admitted to a bad call....they did not admit a bad call against Ham

Care to get back on topic? Or would you rather whine about how the league hates Hamilton and conspires against them and want them to lose?
Its a pretty popular topic in the Hamilton forum :wink:

I seem to recall Ham fans screaming it every time they lose

I agreed with you by saying "Yes, you can't say that HAM was screwed by the non call"

As far as the east semi, It was never admitted by the league that I know of.
Please do not call me a whiner, it is extremely rude and condescending.
I seriously doubt you would say that to my face.
I have never said what you are accusing me of.

Hamilton got screwed because Kent used his challenge flag, to say that it was a fumble, and it never even got reviewed!

Ahhh ok sure? But Johnson admitted that they should have looked at the fumble because it was a catch...as called on the field...Cats challenged a fumble... Booth never looked at a fumble because they made the wrong call on a decision that was not even being challenged. That is dumb...but you clearly have your own agenda, so carry on please.

Your logic is severely short sighted.

He got the challenge back exactly because of that

Yes it was admitted by the league they even changed the rule because of it
I didn't not call YOU a whiner, I don't even know which team you root for
And yes I would say it to your face

As I explained, why would they look at a fumble if it was ruled a catch?
Yes the call on the catch was wrong but that call may have screwed Ottawa as well
IMO The fumble was inconclusive

And now I know you are a ticat fan.....Anyone who disagrees ...has an agenda...so typical

Could you please provide a link to the admission from the League because I searched and could not find anything.
Anyways we can agree to disagree, because I thought it was a fumble, I thought the Harris play in BC was a fumble and I thought it was not PI in Regina on Labour day.
And yes IMHO it was PI in that East Final that the ref made a mistake on.

Video Review has not been consistent, At the beginning of the season PI and Illegal Contact was being called on review for the absolute minimum in contact, later on they have been much more lenient, allowing some contact if it did not impede. IMHO there should be at least 2 people in the command center at all times and the head ref should still be able to go to the sidelines if he feels it is necessary and watch the video also if he feels they are missing something.