John Jenkins

I was watching the final broadcast of the year of a local TV call-in show called "Renegades Vibe". Tonight they had John Jenkins on for the whole hour fielding questions. The guy seems sincere and charismatic. He answered all questions truthfully and diplomatically.
But when he told one caller that he's going to focus on bringing back "Capital Punishment" style defence of old, he sent a shiver down my backbone. Smash mouth football, alright.
So with that, I popped in my worn out tape of the 1976 Ottawa Grey Cup win over the green riders, popped open a few brewskies, and excorcised the thoughts of having a western team come here to play in the Eastern playoffs.

Go You Thieving Bastard Capital Punishment Renegades Go! (next year)

And...
Go Als Go!! Beat green!!!

Ottawa, like Winnipeg, has hit rock bottom, only way now is to go UP!

I don't like the Gades, but good luck next season, and hopefully we'll see them in the Playoffs next year and the Cup in the next few years.

the Toronto Sun had a small note in today's paper saying that John Jenkins bears a striking resemblence to Ric "Nature Boy" Flair, and his assistant coaches will include the likes of Rey Mysterio. Amusing note that was meant in good humour, I think.

That is funny...I was trying to think of who he reminded me of, and I think that's it!

In past seasons I've liked the Renegades and wanted them to do well: if we couldn't get to the Grey Cup, I wanted it to be them. But in all honesty, I don't know if I'll have the same feelings for them that I did.

I'm not a fan of John Jenkins. His offence was successful with Dunigan in Birmingham, but -- though promising at first -- was a flop in '96 in Hamilton once Dunigan went down in game 4. He had success in '97 in Toronto, but keep in mind he took over the Grey Cup Champions, and had perhaps the best quarterback ever to play in the CFL. And don't forget how dismal the Stampeders' offence was last year.

Though his position is head coach, the offence will be what he wants it to be next year. And Kerry Joseph, if he remains a Renegade, is an excellent quarterback -- but he's not Doug Flutie, and he's not Matt Dunigan. Without someone of that calibre -- like perhaps Casey Printers -- that offence is doomed to fail. A mid-season coaching change is in the cards, and success rarely follows.

Would I like to see the Renegades fail? No. Would I like to see Jenkins fail? Doesn't matter one way or the other, really. Would I like to see the Gliebermen fail? Not so much as that I know they will, and the sooner the better. Let's get it over with, before they dig the team and the league into a hole that no one will be able to dig them out of.

I agree. Seeing his interview on television and listening to his explanation as to what's wrong with running, I lost all hope for them. His statement that a run of only a couple yards will result in a third down really cost him a ton of credibility in my mind. Sure, I didn't hear everything, though.