Joey Elliott

I wasn’t happy with the playcalling in the first half TBH. Elliott did very well, but Crowton had him making a bunch of throws he really shouldn’t have, throws that could easily have gone for picks and even pick-sixes. The playcalling did improve in the second half, so perhaps I’m being too harsh on Crowton, but overall, I feel that Crowton and LaPolice have yet to call a consistently good game on offense. And with a young QB and a team with a fragile level of confidence, it’s doubly important for the coaches to put the offense in a position to succeed.

Is that really on Crowton though? Im sure he doesn't call plays by saying 'ok Joey, throw to Watson on this play no matter what'. Joey has to read the d and figure out where he can go and where he can't. That will improve in time.

Absolutely, the onus is on the QB to go through his reads, but there are still cases where the primary read is faulty, i.e. the play itself is inappropriate for the situation. For example, having Elliott throw a quick out from a three-step drop when you’re backed up in the red zone and an interception almost certainly means a TD against isn’t great playcalling. Call a curl, screen, or quick slant, or take a shot down field if you must, but do not expose a young QB to that kind of situation unnecessarily. Hamilton was bringing pressure, so Elliott didn’t necessarily have time to check down.

We will see over the course of the next few games. I've seen a lot of QB's look good over the years in their first outings but after film starts to build a lot of time they get figured out. League needs Quarterbacks badly so let's hope he keeps it up.

If you mean the play where he tried to pass to Poblah on like the Hamilton four, that was a bad read. Edwards was wide open a few yards into the end zone on the same side.

The question is (and thanks for bringing up the secondary read on the play, which I didn't see): in a situation where you know the defense is going to bring pressure, you have to give the young QB a better primary read. Elliott might not have had time to check down. But I do take your point about him needing to improve his pre-snap reads.

I think the difference was the field position in the second half which the Bombers scored TD's on as compared to the first half where they moved the ball but got no points.

As for Elliott, he comes out of the Purdue program which is known for spread offenses and QB's like Drew Brees, I think Crowtons offense suits him best of our current QB's.

I think a fair bit of it was simply confidence. Joey got better as the game went on.

I agree that Elliot and even Brink both coming from top NCAA schools such Purdue and Wash ST are much more in toon with Crowton being that they were in the NCAA 4 yrs ago. Pierce was either unable or unwilling to run the offense correctly. SO now that most of the team is back and healthy Crowton was able to make a game plan to include the whole package. Elliot and Brink, who are constantly talking inbetween series are on the same page as Crowton and I think that the Bombers staff and players are more confident with Elliot and even Brink then they were of Pierce

Buck still figures in the plans for the post season if he's healthy I think unless Elliot can win the starter's job over the next month. Hopefully Elliot can stay healthy. His Oline is only effective ins slide protection.

They’re improving. Wasn’t too long ago they weren’t good at any protection.

Chris Patrick an import tackle was just released from Saskatchewan due to the emergence of NI patrick Neufeld and the return of chris bes and Dand Goodspeed will be coming off the 9 game IR soon so it was a numbers thing and the riders had a ratio change and they just did not have anyroom for him. He started and played real well during the Riders first three wins maybe they should bring him in for a look. It would be nice to have a strong RT opposite January. Patrick is not a CFL retread he spent three years bouncing around the NFL has started in edmonton and was traded from Toronto this year because they were looking for an All Canadian Line. He is in his prime at 27. Being realeased from the Riders and being traded from Toronto was just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time in each case and e can play.

If they want him they better grab him before Hamilton does.

exactly or even Toronto getting him back have the ability to move Matt Black or Etienne Boulay into the stating lineup at safety or DB or younger can also play HB to keep the ratio in tact and still keep the D strong

,,,We don't usually show any interest in castoffs from other clubs.....Seems like a Joe Mack motto...He could believe we have as good or better that are being development :roll: Sometimes hard to see when you are going through a rough patch...I don't see where it would hurt to kick some tires...BUT we'll probably pass on Patrick and the development of our own will certainly continue... :wink:

I see your point but i dont really see Patrick as a cast off but one of those guys in the wrong place at the wrong time. Out of a school like nebraska has been a bubble NFL player since coming out in 2008 always down to last cuts bouncing from rosters to practice squads. UFL in 2011 right to starting 11 games with Edmonton in 2011 attempting an all canadian line and traded from toronto for the same reason now squeezed out of Saskatchewan due to the depth and ratio has started 13 games since coming to the CFL.
All signs and talk about Ptrick is that he is the real deal and only 27. If a CFL team does not grab him he will be signed by what apperas to be a better UFL who is waiting until almost the final NFL cuts before starting camp so competition for players will be high for the CFL as most of the top late cuts without any practice roster eligibility may again lean to the UFL with a chance to get back to the NFL this season.
an 8 game 40,000 dollar salary plus free housing it will be tough for the CFL to grab some of the younger experienced players. The UFL now with a Network TV deal with CBS Sportsnet gives the UFL some credibility again and many players from the UFL have gone back to the NFL in 2009 and 2010.
Some may disagree due to some outstanding debt non of which is owed to players regular UFL season salaries

weakest link on our oline is taormina,obviously boatman isnt providing strong enough competition for taormina, patrick should be brought in to push taormina and maybe take his job, boatman can be released, taormina looks awful, boatman cant get the job done, bring in patrick.

I would agree with you. he has proven to be a quality lineman in the CFL at RT but has been caught up in ratio and number problems none of his relaeses had to do with his quality of play, starting 11 in edmonton last year and 3 in riderville. He does have a history with the UFL who appears to be starting camp soon and play in mid december so grabbing him before the UFL may be wise as other players will also now have a choice of UFL or CFL that are of patrciks quality, age 27 without practice roster eligibility, and pay $40,00 for 8 games including free housing and a chance at landing an NFL job at coming down the stretch. Patrick may find himself in the same situation next season with rookie Tyson pencer a NI who played two years o T at Wash St and starting quite a few games but they need to worry about the here and now and Patrick seems like the perfect fit at a position that the Bombers are clerly weak at RT and where an Import is already used.

Joey had better not lock into his primary read against BC or he's going to be running the wrong way and making tackles a lot.

I agree i would think that both teams will see this in film during the weak and the Bomber will make it a point of emphasis for Elliot