Joe Smith

Yeah… guys like that Anthony Calvillo won’t ever amount to anything in football. All I ever see him do is look off defenders, go through his progression and make completions. Again, and again, and again. Just like a robot. :slight_smile:

Football is like anything, people play/work according to their personality. Some players spike the ball after a 4 yard reception, others score touchdowns, drop the ball and walk back to the bench. Different strokes.

You can have Smith and his oddities. He'll be hard pressed to find as nice gardening, scenery or shopping malls in Winnipeg as he did in Vancouver though.

Good luck Joe. I hear phone plans are cheaper in Manitoba.

I heard something related to that. Winnipeg is a great place, I think.

P.S. Can someone please send me a list of shopping malls in Vancouver. Much appreciated.

I just think its funny. The whole Zen thing is so unconventional in pro sports today. when I read his comments he sounds smart,grounded,respectful and humble.

I like Joe Smith. No ego to bruise. No hamming it up for the cameras on the sidelines. Scores a TD and relaxes on the bench.

I hope he lights it up in the PEG. So what if he doesn’t have a phone. He might be on to something eh.

LMAO (literally).

It's actually unfair for the fans in Winnipeg to lose a fan favorite for this joke. If he likes picking up cans and gardening, like I said before, by all means he has the right to do what he likes. But when he's under contractual obligations to a team, he can't be doing this nonsense, unless on his own time.

It's kind of like attention whore Chad Johnson, who's now officially and legally Chad Ocho Cinqo.

This picking up cans thing or gardening habit is truly moronic. If Smith wets the bed, it's indicative of the Bombers managment at this point. If Smith does well, we make the play-offs then all is well.

Otherwise, we have Fred Reid ready, and I like the guy.

I thought maybe he was referring to another type of "cans", but apparently not.

There are all types in the world and the Joe Smith eccentric types make the world a better place IMHO. I say good for him if he marches to his own drummer. Best of luck Joe (not that I expect you will actually read this :slight_smile:

That is true, there are all types. Glad that the ‘Joe Smith’ type is out of BC now. Good luck with him in Winnipeg.

Nice Rant.

So there are oddballs in every sport, as long as he produces for the Bombers the fans and organization should have no problem with the pecularities.

As I Lions fan, I thought Joe was a good football player. A little laid back but I would rather see that that all the trash talking that is done by too many players.

If Joe gets some blocking and help from the O-Line, he will do well. As I said in a recent post in the Lions Fan Forum, without your O-Line doing it's job, no back, regadless of how good he is, is going to get a lot of yardage - and let's not forget the Offensive Co-ordinator - if he has no imagination or skill for drawing up plays, (and don't forget you need the passing game to work in order for the running game to flourish) - (and vice-versa), you are not going to get much going.

Joe will go as his O-Line goes.

Good luck to Joe and the Bombers fans - I wish you all well.

........I don't care how eccentric the guy is....He;s in the Peg to play football...and from what i have seen in a lot of leos' games ..he's damn proficient at it////So garden all you want Joe...collect all the pop cans you want...if i'm seeing him thunder through the line and pick up first downs ,i could care less what he does in his spare time...He'll be platooning with Reid for the game against the Riders...and when Wpgs. 'o' line is back and healthy...I expect to see some serious yardage churned out by Joe and Reid....stay tuned... :wink:

Joe Smith was popular with his teammates and fans and nobody had any problems with him. Joe never complained and kept his mouth shut...other than outlining his gametime activities when he sat out games.

He had permission to fly home to Houston while injured. That is where he did his gardening, shopping, not watching the Lions games (he doesn't watch TV) and not attending the Bob Ackles tribute.

Joe was great with the fans and was very active and popular in the Lions community. Everyone he met commented on how genuine he was and how he would take the time to talk to each fan and seemed interested in getting to know them.

His only crime is the Lions found a better running back...or so they think.

Joe was just starting to get his legs in the second half of the last game he played. It may take him a game or two to get up to full speed, but he'll likely be the most dominating RB in the league by season's end.

I'm fully looking forward to watch Fred Reid.

You have to understand here…Lion’s fans were completely enamored with Joe DESPITE his “different” (strange?) ways. I mean, I found it refreshing that, as a man, he was secure enough to be honest about who he is. I supported him, wholeheartedly, until he missed Bobby’s funeral/tribute…I don’t care what he was doing, he owed it to the team and to the man who did so much for the team/game to show up. Shopping was not a valid reason to not attend. Yes, it was his personal choice but he lost a lot of respect due to his lack of it at that point. And Logan made it easy to forget him. :slight_smile:

Joe was great last year and his oddities were in all the local papers and people smiled.

This year, he was asked what he thought of Logan's performance after his first game and Smith said he hadnt seen the game, he was busy gardening with his wife. This was while he was in BC, not back home. He didnt even bother trying to find a TV or listen to a radio to know how his TEAM is doing. They only play 3 hrs a week, is that too much to ask? He has the rest of the day to spend his quality time with his wife. A professional athlete that could care less how his team is doing while they are playing is not someone I'd want on my team.