Joe Montford added to the TiCat Wall of Honour

Hamilton Tiger-Cats?Verified account
[ltr]@Ticats[/ltr]

59m59 minutes ago
We’re happy to announce, in collaboration with the #Ticats Alumni Association (HTCAA), that Joe Montford will be the newest member of the Wall of Honour.

http://3downnation.com/2018/04/19/ticats-to-enshrine-joe-montford-on-wall-of-honour/

Montford was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 2011. He’ll become the first player enshrined on the Wall of Fame at Tim Hortons Field.

Great choice by the selection committee. And, "53" becomes, maybe, the most special Tiger-Cat number ever -- the year of the team's first Grey Cup championship -- and now, the first jersey # to be duplicated on the Wall of Honour.

A reward well deserved!

In his days "unstoppable". Well deserved.

What does this part mean - that there have been no other additions since 2014?

Great news a class act ! #53 a force of hurt for apposing QB ks !!

TSN Radio 1150?Verified account
[ltr]@TSN1150[/ltr]
"I don't like to toot my own horn but in terms of football in a sense of stats, there's no one who ever averaged 20 plus sacks, four seasons straight."

Grover is still the Sack King though...

Grover averaged 18 sacks/yr over 6 years (1984-89), and 15/yr over 10 years (1981-90). Technically, never 20+ over 4 years, so Joe is right.

I don't remember Grover being as dominant as Joe was at his peak. Other teams had to build their game plans around stopping Joe.

Boys remember the other bookends:Gonzalo Floyd/ Cheatwood ! They fed off each other and surely helped Joe's sack totals !!!

And don't forget Mike Philbrick, who often took on two linemen to open up the end for Joe

Good on him, fantastic. ;D

I'm really glad to see this. Joe deserves it. But to me, Grover Covington was our best defensive end ever; Joe was second; Billy Ray Locklin was third.

Yes . Congrats to #53 Mr. Joe Montford . A well deserving and worthy honouree indeed .

So with Joe's name going up on the Wall of Honour now bringing the total number of names up to 23 it got me thinking about who I would personally select for the next 23 that should be honoured on the wall .

Believe me it was no easy task whittling it down to only 23 players . As part of my criteria though for my selection list in order to qualify the player had to have played a minimum of 5 yrs with the team . Another criteria was that the player could not be on our current roster or still active in the league on another team's roster .

My original list had 30 players on it so these 7 get an honourable mention : Gerald Vaughan , Troy Davis , Jamall Johnson , Markeith Knowlton , Dave Stala , Henry Waszczuk and Andy Fantuz*(status currently unknown) .

So anyway here it is for what it's worth , my Wall of Honour next 23 . Tell me what you think and if you agree or disagree with my top 23 . I'm sure I might've overlooked a player or two , so let me know .

My Next 23 worthy selections (in no particular order) for the Ti-Cat Wall of Honour .

Tony Champion-wr............8 yrs (85-92)
Archie Amerson-rb/sb.......8 yrs (97-04)
Dave Fleming - rb/sb........10 yrs (65-74)
Darren Flutie - wr...............5 yrs (98-02)
Marwan Hage - c...............10 yrs (04-13)
Billy Ray Locklin - de..........6 yrs (65-70)
Rob Hitchcock -db.............12 yrs (95-06)
Mike Morreale - sb.............8 yrs (97-01 , 04-06)
Hal Patterson - wr.............7 yrs (61-67)
Ted Page - db....................7 yrs (65-70)
David Shaw -db.................8 yrs (75-82)
Howard Fields - db............8 yrs (81-88 )
Danny McManus -qb..........8 yrs (98-05)
Steve Stapler - wr.............8 yrs (81-88 )
Jason Riley - g.................10 yrs (84-93)
Lewis Porter - db..............7 yrs (71-77)
Mike Walker-de................8 yrs (82-89)
Rufus Crawford-rb/sb......7 yrs (79-85)
Dale Sanderson-c...........13 yrs (85-97)
Miles Gorrell - ot..............8 yrs (85-91,96)
Carl Coulter - c.................6 yrs (98-01,03-04)
Dave Hack -ot.................10 yrs (96-05)
Andrew Grigg - wr............8 yrs (95-02)
Lee Knight - sb................11 yrs (87-97)

In light of some of these great names reminds me of how exactly Less Browne got his name up on honoured names inside the stadium. Good player, but seriously, Less Browne ?

Dork, Less Browne was a player with tremendous athletic ability and a great cover guy. One name that will probably never reach the the wall but should be remembered as a monster that no one could block, Tim Coefield.

Bobo, I think your list is terrific. I would love do find a way to add Henry Wazsczuk to it, but I'm not sure who I would take out.

Looking at Bobo's list, it's depressing how few players from the last 15 years are on it. God this team has been bad :-[.

I think that's more down to players not staying with the same team as much as they used to. How many players have we had on the team more than three or four years lately?

Another player I'd add to the list is Marc Beswick. One of the best special team coverage players the league has seen.

That's a good point. I guess that's largely a result of the salary cap.