Jim Trimble Passes Away at 87

I do appreciate his family coming on here to chat with us as well. I don't have any stories of my own about him, but my parents and brother have talked about him consistently over the years. The picture they painted of him was a no-nonsense coach who took no guff. I've been told time and again that he was the best coach Hamilton has ever had. His contribution to the history of the Ticats is greatly appreciated even by those of us who weren't around when he was here. All the stories I've heard about him make me wish I had seen him coach. My prayers and thoughts are with you in this difficult time.

Hi, I'm Patsy, Jim's oldest daughter and we want to thank you all so much for remembering Dad so fondly. Its funny Wilf, that you mentioned that song "Hang down your head Jim Trimble" because it has been going through my head for the past several days. I think it was the first thing that made me realize Jim Trimble was more than just my dad. Thank you all again.

Maybe Wilf would remember, but wasn't the Fog Bowl between Jim Trimbles' Ticats and Bud Grants' Bombers.
And Jim Trimble made statement "we will waffle them" that became famous like Leo Cahill's "act of God' quip.

Ah, the infamous two-day game. Yes, Trimble and Grant. Something of a grudge match because Winnipeg had won the Grey Cup the previous year. Sadly, they did it again.
That was the last game in Hamilton for Jim Trimble. He had put in seven great years, but after this game he moved on to Montreal for 3 or 4 years, and Ralph Sazio took over the Ticats.
A lot of newsworthy quips were made in those days. They were colourful times, with colourful individuals running the shows.

I remember well Jim Trimble's famous quote, "We'll waffle 'em!" It referred to a coming Grey Cup game, 1961 or 62 I think. We lost both those games, so I guess it didnt work out too well. Winnipeg won 4 of 5 Cups when Jim coached us. As I recall it, he tried to insert some new wrinkles into the Cup games to try to foil Bud Grant and the Bombers. He was a great coach though, took us to the final so many times.

There was a very famous photo, in the Spec I think, maybe the Globe & Mail, of Jim walking off the field with assistants Ralph Sazio and Joe Restic after a tough loss one season in a rainy wet game. It captured their disappointment very well.

Others might remember that Jim was famous not only as a coach, but as the inventor of the "tuning fork" goalposts in use everywhere today. Before he came up with that innovation, the posts were an "H" shape, planted right on the goal line. The new design made sure that the defensive line wasn't interfered with by the posts on a goal line stand, and reduced the risk of players banging into the posts when trying for a TD.

A neat and colourful character, and a big part of TiCat history. He'll always be remembered fondly. It's good he had a long and productive life, and obviously has a fmaliy who loved him very much.

Well as the saying goes you learn something every day...I had never heard that before that Jim Trimble invented the one post...a great and common sense invention.
That reminds me of a story I read about the great G/Bay 240 lb fullback Bronko Nagurski (whose son played for the Ticats). Bronco took a handoff somewhere in the red zone (I forget) and ran through and over most of the defensive team but at the goalline ran headlong into one of the goal posts but bounced off into the end zone for a TD. As his team mates were congratulating a stunned Bronko for his great run he said 'boy that last guy hit me awful hard'. They said that was the only thing that could slow Bronko down was the goalpost.
I'm sure he would have loved Big Jim's invention.

Jim Trimble days were great days for our beloved Tiger Cats.

I was too young to remember when Jim Trimble coached the Tiger Cats. However, my father( who passed away in 1986)
often told me stories about Trimble and the great teams he coached in Hamilton. Too my father, there was no better
football men then Trimble , Bernie Falony and Angie Mosca. My sincere condolences to the Trimble family.

Neither memories appear to be postive

Jim Trimble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_V5Shvct3o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaoV0EKOOL0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAfU1boEvAQ

That's truly a great pic CaptainKirk. Thank-you for that!

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpMS-9f5ptI&list=PLB01DDD2CBC441606]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpMS-9f5 ... 2CBC441606[/url]

My Condolences to the Trimble Family for the passing of Jim, RIP Jim Trimble. Lets Win Tomorrow against BC in Guelph for Jim
and make him proud as he watches down on the Tiger-Cats and Fans!!

In no way am I trying to be disrespectful, but why has a thread from 2006 resurfaced all of a sudden and got so many new post?
Was there something in the news recently about Jim Trimble?
I am only asking out of curiosity and am not trying to be disrespectful like I mentioned before.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, but... it is always nice to talk Tiger-Cat history.

Having contributed to this thread 7 years ago. I was also amazed to see it pop up today.
I would be among the first to welcome references to the past, simply because that's where I lived and was an active fan.

An aside.....In addition to their posts in that thread, two of Jim's daughters sent me private messages. Considering the awkward timing, I was most appreciative of that thoughtful gesture.

I agree WIlf. Jim's daughter PMed me as well. A very thoughtful gesture. And yes, those were truly the halcyon days of Ticat football. I hope there will be many more to celebrate new traditions in a new stadium with new generations of players, coaches and fans. Nothing can replace the good old days, but there can be new ones added.

Having watched Ticat Football since the days of Carl Voyles, I had season tickets for the entire duration of Jim Trimble's
tenure as head coach in Hamilton. I truly grew to admire the man and recall one day, in particular, that was absolutely
thrilling for me. I was working as a relatively new employee at Dofasco's Steelmaking Division, while Jim Trimble and
Bernie Falony were both working for Contractor's Machinery. (At least, that's who I think they worked for but I may have
that firm confused with another after all these years).

I was seated at a desk in the steelmaking office when I looked up and standing in front of me was Jim and Bernie who explained to me that they had come ion for a tour of our facility. This was unbeknownst to me, but I immediately
volunteered for the job of showing these two heroes of mine our facility. We spent about an hour prowling the area
and talking both business and football. I couldn't believe my good fortune.

I remember well Jim's invention of the goal posts still in use everywhere today. Football had an air of excitement in those
days that I haven't experienced since, thanks to great coaches and players that spent years here and required jobs during the off seasons to supplement their incomes.

It was great to hear from Jim's family members on this chat line and I celebrate Jim's life along with them.
Jim Trimble was a "God Send" to this city, the CFL and the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles.

RIP Jim.

X2

Indeed!

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ