Jim Popp to Coach MTL next season

MONTREAL - The Montreal Alouettes announced on Monday afternoon that Jim Popp will keep his role as head coach of the team next season.
The team also said that all current coordinators will return to their positions.

#AlsMTL ?@MTLAlouettes 19m19 minutes ago
‘‘The Alouettes are announcing that Jim Popp will return as head coach’’

#AlsMTL ? @MTLAlouettes
‘‘As well as all current Coordinators: Anthony Calvillo, Noel Thorpe and Kavis Reed.’’

But, will he remain on as GM?

I guess AC is not ready to take the reigns yet as HC?

I thought in many ways that he would be like Clemons in Toronto who went from playing football directly to head coach, especially with AC being an ex-QB and football great and record holder, you would think AC might be a natural.

I guess Popp and Bob Whitinal want AC to be more of a complete coach before transitioning to a Head Coach spot?

Wow !!! The Alouettes forum will be hopping with this news. I read their boards daily and believe me when I tell ya that they will be going absolutely nuts when they hear this.

Well I highly doubt that Wetenhall is going to go looking for another GM., much as he has always maintained that he prefers the positions to be separated. I wonder at the wisdom of this unless it is a case of trying to maintain some continuity in a coaching staff that has been pretty much in constant flux for the past three seasons. They are not changing any coordinator positions either. However promoting Thorpe to HC as many suggested might happen, would also provide continuity. Popp's record with his "elite" team was no better (actually worse if one looks at the number of losses) than Higgins. He was sure he would get them on the right track and into the playoffs but it didn't happen. He might do better with a full season, but the general consensus is that Popp is not a very good head coach.

I thought they might go after Tressman (sp?) since he got the boot from Chicago. Maybe still under a contract? With Popp as HC and Cavillo as OC, I think we have one less team to worry about next year. The QB carousel and ACs loner attitude on the sidelines doesn't cut it for me.

I think it's great news. The only downside is that it reduces the chances of an eastern team getting a crossover position to play in the west division playoffs.

Trestman is OC with one of the NFL teams (Ravens maybe - not sure) which would mean another couple of months before they could even ask permission to talk to him. I just hopped over to the Larks board which are not (yet) as bobo suggested "hopping" although the general consensus in the two threads that are started on the topic is not overly positive.

LeStaf is particularly pessimistic that the team will improve much, let alone make it back to the GC (translations are not always entirely accurate) while dear johnny thinks it is just insanity (doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results!) Still only about 19 posts between the two threads there but that may change.

Trestman is in the 1st year of a 3 year contract as the Ravens OC, Being NFL I am sure it would be lucrative

Aaron Wilson ? @AaronWilson_NFL
League source confirms it's a three-year contract for new Ravens offensive coordinator Marc Trestman. No financial details released

Because Jim Popp is such an incredible HC! sarcasm I think his overall record is below .500. I think Higgins was better when he was head coach.

They were 3-5 under Higgins when he was fired, and they finished 6-12. So Popp finished the season 3-7. And this AFTER Popp said that they should be one of the "elite" teams.

I think this has less to do with his ability as a HC though. I think Jimmy doesn't work well with others. It's his way, or the highway. Even with Higgins as HC, it's probably always been Popp pulling the strings. That's the feeling I have, anyway. Popp likes to be in control.

First. Higgins wasn't fire for his record. The main reasons whey he was let go were slagging John Bowman in the media on top of benching him. Second. Taking off with his wife to PEI during the break while his team was in shambles. The record and his unwillingness to let go of the Special Team Coordinator functions were secondary.

As for playing well with others, that's not the case. The ENTIRE football ops department including the Director of Player Personnel, GM right down to the receptionist in Ottawa were groomed by Popp, that was another big hit to the org after seeing most of the staff leave two years earlier for TO. The reality is there is no upwward mobility when your GM/HC has been with the team 20 years. That's the biggest hurdle in getting people to come in and stay. All the Assistants committed to returning which was a big factor in extending Jim in those functions that includes guys in demand like Reed and Thorpe. The only guy who may bounce is Dinwiddie but he did say this week he hopes to return.

So this means the TiCats have clinched a playoff spot for next year! :thup: :thup: :rockin: :cowboy: :twisted:

Bowman was benched because Higgins was forced to start the "amazing" Michael Sam. Frankly, Popp should be fired for that reason alone, never mind the fact that he did SFA to find and groom a replacement for Calvillo. Remember, you are now stuck with the "awesome" Kevin Glenn. You're welcome to him...

Get the correct facts,DisplacedCatsFan.

John Bowman was never benched because Tom Higgins had to play Michael Sam. Until August 6,2015, Michael Sam was on the active roster but never played; he played August 7,2015, in Ottawa, along with John Bowman. After that game Michael Sam was no longer on the roster; did leave and was suspended.

On August 13,2015 Int. DE Aaron Lavarias was added to the active roster-injured before that game- In order to play 2 Int RB's, only 1 Int. DE could dress. It was Aaron Lavarias,who had 7 tackles in the game against Edmonton who dressed. The Als lost. John Bowman was a healthy scratch.

On August 20,2015 the Als played in BC and again 2 Int. RB's played and 1 Int. DE,i.e. Aaron Lavarias,played. The Als won. John Bowman was put on the 1 game injured before that game. During that game, Aaron Lavarias was injured again and eventually added to 6 game injured list.

Tom Higgins was fired,not long after that game and John Bowman came back to the roster.

As you see,Michael Sam had nothing to do with the benching of John Bowman. In fact,he was no longer with the team when it occurred.-benching of John Bowman-

Richard

I was under the impression that this was the case in regards to sitting Bowman. Sam was starting over him, and Popp had brought in Sam for a hefty contract (he was getting starter money without starting - in that case, not starting him is costing more money). Richard now says otherwise, using facts, so I suppose this is not the case. However, I do recall at the time thinking that Bowman might've said something to Higgins regarding the preferential treatment of Sam.

HfxTC, how did Higgins slag Bowman? You said the media, so was it in an interview? Can you link it for informational purposes? As well as a link about the PEI thing? That seems like an odd thing for him to do, so I'd enjoy reading up on this to find out more. Was it an annual family event? Was she sick? Was someone they know sick? Or was it purely leisure? I could look this up, but since you're using it for your side of this debate, I believe it would be your responsibility, HfxTC. That's generally how things work. I don't say "the sky was yellow yesterday!" and expect anyone to believe me without proof. That'd be silly. :lol:

The special teams thing, if it's true he outright refused to give up control, Popp has the authority. Hire someone else and if he didn't like it, he could leave on his own.

I need the rest of the information to come to a certain conclusion, of course.

So I must ask, do you believe that Popp is a good choice for HC? What has he done previously as HC to make you feel this way?

IMHO, I don't think Higgins was a great coach either. I was never a supporter of his, so let's not make it seem like I was. I was surprised he lasted the offseason last year, honestly. Even when he was fired, I can't say I was surprised nor did I care, but I did think at that time, he'd be given the year to make adjustments. It made sense at that time for Popp to come in. I just don't think that Popp is the correct replacement long term, but we'll see where things from here and I could be proven wrong.

As for playing well with others, that's not the case. The ENTIRE football ops department including the Director of Player Personnel, GM right down to the receptionist in Ottawa were groomed by Popp, that was another big hit to the org after seeing most of the staff leave two years earlier for TO. The reality is there is no upwward mobility when your GM/HC has been with the team 20 years. That's the biggest hurdle in getting people to come in and stay. All the Assistants committed to returning which was a big factor in extending Jim in those functions that includes guys in demand like Reed and Thorpe. The only guy who may bounce is Dinwiddie but he did say this week he hopes to return.
I don't think the biggest hurdle to people not staying is the lack of upward mobility. Since Trestman, many coaches haven't stayed very long because they're fired. Not including coaches, honestly I don't follow the Als enough to understand what goes on with the rest of the football ops there.

There's nothing wrong with not working well with others. It's due to a combination of personality traits many people have. I myself am a bit of a control freak and I will be the first to admit, I think rather highly of my abilities. This combination makes it difficult for me to give up control to others, because I always believe I can do better than them (and if I can't yet, I can learn how to). I would rather work with people who adopt my techniques and philosophies (or who are naturally similar to me) than people who do things their own way. My way is almost always the best way (obviously I know this isn't likely true, but at any given moment, I feel it to be true). Popp could have very similar traits. I think Austin might have some of these traits as well. It's not uncommon when looking at people in leadership roles. I don't dislike people. I'm not abrasive or rude. I enjoy teaching others my way of doing things. But if I'm in a group, do I instinctively try to do everything myself and take charge? Uh-huh. Hence, I don't always work well with others.

Can't provide a link but I saw the video of the scrum where Higgins told reporters in a John Bowman discussion.

I quote: Everyone has an expiry date.

Then when asked when Bowman sound play again. He answered. "If he plays again".

This is a 10 year vet loyal to the team. Who's made Montreal his permanent home.

Higgins deserved what he got.

So douchey, maybe unprofessional, but I think similar was said about Geroy Simon and McCallum in BC. It's a harsh business.

Obviously he was wrong though, he hasn't reached expiry. He's been playing quite well so he gets the last laugh.

"You think you saw" means it's a fact? Try that in court and see how far it gets ya. Still waiting on your answer to my second point about the complete failure of the Als QB situation...

Always makes me laugh when guys compare an internet forum to a court of law :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I asked you to go dig up a 3 month old video on Ticat TV would you bother ? I know I won't.

Take it or leave it.

As far as our QB situation it is the same as many teams who are in transition. Ticats had Glenn, Burris and Collaros. ALL SIGNED ON FA MARKET. Not one starting QB to get Hamilton to the post season is a development product.

Als are at the bottom right now and it will take some time to rebuild a roster but with the success these team as had. I can deal with it. Toronto IMO is in a worse situation, Ottawa has a 40 year old QB and in Hamilton Collaros is already starting to collect serious injuries. So Als have to worry about their own program and things will fall into place. Could take two to three seasons.

Bowman is a free agent now, his now expired contract paid him $225K/yr
There will be huge interest coming from other teams.