Jim Barker fined and banned from the sidelines !

The league has been consistent with offside on the goaline. When the ball is on the one yard line, if the defensive player's hand is on the green, then it's a flag. Pretty easy to see.

Hey Mr Young had to stick up for his team on that one.
If the ball is on the one yard line just how far down the sidelines is any member of a team down the field. How could Barker be standing anywhere near the goal line. Especially at a stadium where teams are on opposite sidelines. Even when they play at stadiums where both teams are on the same sideline no one is allowed to be that far down the sidelines. If Plesius had just one finger over the one yard line he is off sides.
Barker being behine the official pointing it out has cost him the rest of the season off the sidelines. Also will get the CFL and officials to make sure team members are not out of where they are supposed to be. Being out of the area i would think should have been a penalty that was not called, but I do not no the ruling on that for sure.

Well the Cats complain and Barker gets banned. Fine.

but nothing happened to Benevides in week 3 when he pointed out to the sideline official that he felt Picard moved the ball before the snap and the ensuing procedure flag killed the Riders drive. And Ilve seen many times since, centers on various teams move the ball a good 8 inches forward and not get called. Was that flag thrown as much by Benevides as the TiCat offside by Barker. No fines tho. I guess the Riders just didn't cry loud enough.

Barker crying a river :cry:

Barker said he takes full responsibility. “I brought it on,? he said. “It was an honest mistake? and he said he was acting out as a fan and not trying to influence an official. “I shouldn’t have been down there,? he added. “I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I deserve to be fined. It was the passion of the moment. I was watching the play just like a fan. There was no premeditation. I have to be above that, I understand that.? Barker said the official didn’t even hear him because the fans were so loud. His words were picked up later on film, the Argos GM said. Barker was also banished from the sidelines once in 2007, according to CFL spokesperson Jamie Dykstra. Barker was GM of the Calgary Stampeders at the time. Barker said it’s been his practice to wander down to the field for the final three minutes of the game and watch along with the players and coaches. Coaches and team officials are not allowed to leave the bench area, which is a rectangular area situated not closer to the sideline than six feet and extending 30 yards parallel to the sideline. Barker said that after receiving the news of his penalty, he offered to stay home for Sunday’s important game in Montreal, but that club president Chris Rudge urged him to go. “He believes I need to be there,? Barker said. “Taking me off the sidelines is hard because I don’t get to share great moments and tough moments with the people that are there.? If the Argonauts win the game against the Als, they will secure a post-season berth. “We’ve gone where we are because I’m passionate,? Barker said. “I was a fan in the biggest play of our season. I work 365 days a year to put this organization to where it is. It’s like having a speeding ticket and having your car taken away. That’s how I feel.?

Je ne peux partager le point de vue de Barker. Il n’est pas un supporteur comme les autres. Il est le directeur-général d’une des équpes de la ligue, une des équipes sur le terrain. Il est de ceux qui doivent témoigner le respect qui est dû aux officiels sur le terrain plus que les entraîneurs eux-mêmes.

Ça fait plusieurs fois que je vois Barker harranguer les arbitres au cours d’une partie et je suis certain qu’il a reçu des avertissements à ce propos. Je crois que cette amende n’est pas surgie de nulle part.

To save others whose French is not very good a step to translate the post - here is the google translation of the last post.

I can not share the views of Barker. It is not a supporter like any other. He is the CEO of one of équpes in the league, one of the teams on the ground. He is among those who will testify the respect due to the officials on the field more than the coaches themselves.

It’s been several times I see Barker harranguer referees during a game and I’m sure he has been warned about this. I think this fine is not sprung from nowhere.

"Barker said the official didn’t even hear him because the fans were so loud. His words were picked up later on film, the Argos GM said."

yah, not buying it.

he was on the Argos side of the field. no way the fans were screamin while they were on offence. sure the Hamilton fans on the other side were loud but i doubt that would stop the officials from hearing him.

and just to add it was a bs call on the offsides. there's room in just about every penalty from Offensive holding to pass interference to the 5 yard rule.
its BS that a dudes finger would get called for offsides :stuck_out_tongue: .

translating it didnt help me understand the post at all :lol:

Your not trying very hard :stuck_out_tongue:

its all BS until the cows come home

The other part of the fine,is that the next time that the "Big Blue Blob" is allowed back on the sidelines he has to wear this tee shirt :smiley: :rockin:

[i]GOOD! The CFL fines lard butt in Toronto. The CFL also fines the owner of the company that designs this website…

It's funny that the 2 teams who got money from the CFL (and the other teams) 2 years ago, both get fined. Bad ownership in both cases! No money in Toronto, and tons of money, but badly spent in Hamilton!

The dregs of the CFL… :thdn: [/i]

AS long as Barker is not banned from the hot dog and pretzel stands, he will be happy :smiley:

Caretaker Young will just raise the maintenance fees for this site by 10 000$ and he will lose nothing…

Just finished reading through this topic. I think the punishment against Barker is fine. I think the reason Young got fined so much is because he went a tad overboard with his comments, suggesting that Barker and the ref were in cahoots or something. If he'd left that last part out, I doubt the fine is $10,000.

“The biggest 'controversy' is not so much the call itself, but is the Toronto GM coaching the sideline judge during the play. The result was the official called a very marginal penalty,? Young wrote.
“At the very least there should have been two penalties. The other for objectionable conduct to Toronto for their GM's blatant and successful attempt to influence an official on the field.?

And Johnny the one and only: Leave the childish insults out of the discussion. They add nothing to the conversation.

I think a 10K fine is over the top in a league where a player can only be fined 1k

not that I expect this, but what if bob refused to pay?

The league can deduct it out of the TV and merchandise disbursement.

Not to worry,the first 20,000 fans through the gate on Saturday will each be asked for a 50 cent donation to cover Bob’s fine. :smiley:

That’s laughable!
You’d have to admonish most Tiger-cat fans on this forum if childish insults were inappropriate. :roll: