Jim Barker fined and banned from sidelines !!!!!!!

I Agree lennywasout and good going Caretaker, your right officiating is not perfect and their should be a person in the CFL who monitors the Quality Control of the officiating in this league all too much over this past year and other seasons the league has Imposed new rules that have either been grossly under used or have gone way over board in the calls and slowed down the game in general.

The Big problem this year has been the number of head Shots especially in the first half of the season, we lost three players to concussions from head shots by other players that were totally avoidable and yet no penalties were called on the field, later one player was fined by the league but after the fact.

The CFL is a great game, not perfect, but a great game and the officiating must be a higher calibre to keep pace with the speed and quality of the players and teams.

GO CATS GO!!!

Just wow.

Caretaker must have went off!

Good on yah Mr Young. :thup:

I'll be spending a little extra at the Ticats shop this year.

No argument on that. Barker should have been flagged for being on the sideline outside the bench area.

But I was responding to Earl’s suggestion that offside at the goal line be excused and not penalized if it’s only “an inch or two” over the line. How about three inches? Four? Five? Where is the line drawn? I’m saying the line is already drawn, painted on the field.

When I watched the play again, I noticed the linesman gesturing with his left hand. I took that gesture to mean that he already saw Plesius’s hand over the line and that he was ready to throw his flag if he didn’t take it back. So yes, I think he did actually communicate with the official, but I don’t think it affected the call on the play. The officials have been calling this all year. Caretaker stated earlier that the team had looked for other examples of it being called for such a small violation but couldn’t find any. But did they find any that weren’t called? I suspect not, as I’m sure the linesman are trained to look for exactly that type of violation.

What's most don't realize is on the subsequent play (the TD score) Plessius is in a two point stance and is offside again with his torso and head across the line... Is Creehan still coaching these guys ?

I just rewatched this. There’s no angle in either the live shot or the two replays that shows this. They never showed an angle from straight down the line, and from the angles they did show, nobody looks offside to me.

From where I sit the complaint from me via email to Cohon was about Barker being behind the line judge. Apparently during the Labour Day game Barker did the same thing or a similar act. So the refs have allowed this before and this was brought to light to Cohon and Bob Young got involved and called a spade a spade. I realize Cohon has to stick up for the refs that goes without saying. Looks like Bob Young got the short end of the stick on this issue. One thing for sure this only confirms my total disgust for ANY Toronto team. The refs couldn't arrange a two car parade.

Since they use the lines in the middle of the field sometimes to line up the chains for first down measurements I guess that means you feel any team should be given a first down as long as they are within an inch or two then Earl? A little ‘leeway’?

Something tells me Mr. Barker will miss the $2,500 more than Mr. Young will miss the $10,000.

I wonder if he’s going to buy a seat for Sunday’s game ? :lol:

Maybe going to the American system of lining up to the nose of the ball is better, there is some wiggle room there as the centre often tips the ball up a bit and it’s more up to the discretion of the officials if it’s flagrant enough of the players fingers/hand is over the imaginary line where the nose of the ball is before the snap.

Barker says "I did not intend to talk to the official". Does that mean he did? I think Bob Young knew exactly he would get fined but put it out there for all to see and put more pressure on the league. Barker's involvement in calling that penalty is unbelivable in any professional sport. That line judge should be out of a job period. As for the CFL it has lost even more credibility for fining someone $10,000for speaking the truth and Barker $2,500 for influence peddling. I'll take the influence peddling everytime!

Would love to hear the conversation when fired. ‘You are fired - for getting the offside call right!’

Yeah and it is very appreciated gesture :thup:
Nobody likes a bill like that and he did it anyway.
That 10k just empowered CFL officials to be respected in the future.

How about not knowing the rules governing where people can be on the sideline and if he did know why didnt he inform head referee or even Barker ?

You think this is the first time this happens ? You think this was a special case ? Be careful what you ask for.

Worst part is if Young had said nothing the Barker thing would have gone on until somebody else complained. Young was fined for criticism but also fined for uncovering CFL refs’ ignorance of the rules they are paid to enforce.

Like a cop giving you a ticket after you having to explain to him the Highway and Traffic Act .

I don’t think’s it ignorance, more like trying to go along to get along. They know who Barker or Popp or Young are. How many people here would turn in the President of their company for breaking a company “rule” ? But now thanks to Bob Young, the officials can enforce those rules and everyone will be better for it especially the Officials who are paid the least and have the toughest job.

Garbage. . Linesman didnt say anything to Barker because he didnt have a clue he was breaking a rule.

You can’t be serious ? :o

What other explanation is there ?

He either didnt know or wasnt sure and never asked his supervisor - the head referee (who should have seen it too). In the real world its called incompetence and it usually has consequences.

In the CFL, however, the person who complains about it gets fined.