Jersey embroidery / great old school Hamilton eateries

Yes, one and the same. Angelo Savelli says that in the face of threats he sold it for $500 back in the early 1990’s. I have a vague memory of having seen that jersey in his shop but since I’m not a game-worn jersey collector I had no interest in it.

Interesting about Angelo though. Sometime around 1970 I’d read an article in the Canadian Magazine Saturday supplement to the London Free Press about Angelo Savelli. He was described as the world’s biggest card collector! Angelo had evidently started buying sports cards in 1948 and never stopped. I was awestruck! The article filled me with an incredible longing for the cards I’d had just five or so years earlier as a kid, cards that I thought were now lost in the mists of time.

I eventually ended up meeting Angie in the mid-eighties at a collectibles show in Toronto where he had set up to sell cards and he became a friend of mine. I visited him at his house in Hamilton a couple of times.

Fast forward a few years to the big annual Toronto Sportcard and Memorabilia Expo in 2002 or so where Angie had a table. While I was talking to Angie, I noticed that a tall young fellow at the other end of Angie’s table appeared to have scooped up one of Angie’s binders filled with hockey cards from the 1920’s and 1930’s and walked off briskly down the aisle. Angie immediately confirmed this. Being on the other side of the table himself he was in no position to give chase. Being a lot fleeter of foot than Angie anyway, I set off after the fellow myself. I caught him before he got to the door of the hall and said “Excuse me, but is that your binder?” Much to my surprise, the fellow just said no and shoved the binder into my hands. While I stood there gawking for a second or two, he swiftly made his exit through the door. Oh well. I’m not in the business of apprehending thieves anyway, but I’d managed the most important detail which was getting Angie’s binder back for him.

:slight_smile:

Very cool Baltic! I feel like you have a connection to Hamilton Sports history!

I’ve was enthralled with the Tigers Jersey story when I first heard it. I know this is a football forum, but given its Hamilton, I think its it’s a good place to discuss this as well.

That Jersey is one of the last tangible ties to our NHL history, and I feel like that was stolen from Ang as well as the entire city. It should be on display behind glass at Copps.

If only Ang had put the Jersey away for safe keeping, if only the 1925 Tigers hadn’t gone on strike, if only a Arizona judge would have ruled on favor of Balsille instead of the NHL.

Apparently the jersey was found in a utility shed in a box on a golf course in Burlington 2 years ago, but it has since disappeared again… my guess is somewhere in Clublinks offices.

Sports illustrated name that Jersey one of the lost holy grails of sports.

Here’s hoping the Jersey is found again and the Tigers return soon after!

Oh and good on you for getting Ang’s cards back!

That may not be the very same jersey though.

:-\

When I returned to Angie’s booth at the back of the hall with the binder, the first thing he said was “But you should have turned the guy over to the police!” I shook my head and laughed. Like I say, I was so surprised to get the binder back without even an ugly scene that I counted it as a big victory right there.

Angie still remembers the whole incident of course. When I last spoke to him just over two years ago he indicated that he was suffering from some age related health problems. He must be close to eighty years of age.

:frowning:

OLD CHINESE RESTAURANTS ....

BUT.... Which was the one that looked out over the edge of the mountain but got torn down by the ramp leading from the top of the Claremont access over to West 5th?

First called Chopstick, then renamed Kuo Kao Kao when bought by the family that owned the Grange.

Ya chalk it up as a win, most thief’s just look for crimes of opportunity and avoid conflict.

Has anyone every sat down with Ang and got a full proper accounting of the Tigers story? How many times the guy came in to the store? What did he look like? Etc.

This is almost JFK level. Without security cameras or credit card recipients etc. His witnesses account is really the only lead.

Forgot all about that place, but should never have done so, as it was probably the first restaurant that I took my girlfriend, who became my wife, out for a “dinner date?. Made reservations, wore my suit, tie, ordered chinese meal, including a bottle of wine. The whole enchilada. I remember it as being part way up the escarpment, close to the top, on stilts, with a panoramic view of the city. Was still going to Mac, so probably blew my whole week’s food budget on that one meal.

I’d noticed the cool sign for the Pagoda Chop Suey House in downtown Hamilton many times but never actually ate there until the Saturday in 2005(?) when the McMaster Marauders entertained and lost to the Western Mustangs at Ivor Wynne Stadium in the early afternoon. A ticket to the Tiger-Cat game in the very late afternoon let spectators into Ivor Wynne for the Marauders game. We went to the Pagoda Chop Suey House between games.

My grandfather, a staunch german, would never eat oriental food of any kind.

Except the Pagoda House.

I “think” they are still around today.

Pagoda House had a second location on Concession Street Between East 32nd and E33rd street as well. We ordered from there regularly back in the day.

Dunno if it’s still there, but a few years ago the best Chinese Food in Hamilton was at a little, family run ‘hole in the wall’ on the east side of Ottawa St just south of Barton. I believe it was South Seas

By far, the best “I’m drunk and I need food” restaurant is Tally Ho on Main St W.
I grew up with the owners’ son, and I believe he runs the place now.

Found it!

https://scontent.fybz1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/s960x960/326379_465976866779753_593660213_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=7QkHQbXWn5cAQn9nZ6iQqAGpptp-aoIfJw6eEHn7B58WCdycG4G6enx_g&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz1-1.fna&oh=b75e075ff6971652a49a22fe3545473b&oe=5E84B577

Also, here's the old Tien Kue at Maple and Plains Rd.

https://scontent.fybz1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/s960x960/615800_468585023185604_1772448_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ohc=WkpgwOR0lV8AQkajiktZXRw0dM_Y8aUkj-H4WEiDx-cjbni3r1ZDwWNSw&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz1-1.fna&oh=4deb4c86dfb7df1eacc846d0c30d0f75&oe=5EB0099F

I always found it impossible not to stop at the Tally Ho for a roast beef sandwich whenever I was driving into Hamilton by way of Greensville and Dundas!

Our family always ordered from here back in the 60’s. The woman who answered the phone had an accent that madd her almost incomprehensible. At the end of every call she would say with a questioning tone, “No noo noo?” We were never sure but wondered if it had something to do with the crispy noodles they sometimes gave as a garnish.

Thanks for posting the picture of the Kuo Kau Kau, Mark. Have to admit that it does not look anywhere near as swanky as I remember it! Guess I had stars in my eyes that night.

Maybe she was offering you something else that wasn’t officially part of the menu.

:wink:

That pic is a really old one. It was renoed at one point. My family also went there for special occasions.