Jasper Simmons

The Stamps released Jasper Simmons earlier today after Simmons agent started a brouhaha on twitter yesterday.

Ottawa had first whack at him given their waiver priority but they aren't in it. Either they weren't interested or Simmons told them to stuff it (being unhappy with the way he was traded in the off season).

But:

@PentonKirk: I'm hearing the #Bombers and Jasper Simmons are in negotiations.

I think he'd be a good signing and I'm not the only one:

Chris Walby retweeted Kirk Penton
Great move if we can get him. Good football player who just wants to play. one of the best with Ottawa last year

That didn't take long:

Linebacker @simmons_jasper has contract in hand from @Wpg_BlueBombers and has agreed to terms. Bombers waiting on paperwork to announce #bn
— gary lawless (@garylawless) August 19, 2015

Seems like it’s assumed he’ll be slotting into MLB eventually once he gets the playbook down. Myself I’d be curious if he can play the SAM spot, then we can move Randle to corner and move Bucknor to a backup/special teams spot. Randle and Adams at the corners? Then Simmons and Bass bookending Hurl at LB? Should be a plus though, on special teams and whenever and wherever he fills in on D. Now we need a RT to replace Jace Daniels who’s likely gone for the year.

I like this signing, he and Bass patrolling the middle will be fun to watch.

Ditto there Pigseye...Simmons will be very solid in the middle and I like the way the D is coming together...Now if we can get some solid play from the offence, we have a shot against the stumps.. :wink:

From today's practice:

Darrin Bauming ?@DarrinBauming 4m4 minutes ago

#Bombers defence working in a 3-4 set with Jasper Simmons and Sam Hurl at inside linebacker. Bass and Randle outside.
1 retweet 2 favorites

Interesting.