Jason Maas is Toast?!?!

Tiger-Cats attempt to lure King to CFL
Shaun King

TSN.ca Staff

5/1/2007 1:37:54 PM

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are attempting to lure former NFL quarterback Shaun King north of the border.

General manager Marcel Desjardins tells the Hamilton Spectator he has spoken recently with the agent for the seven year NFL pivot, who was released two and a half weeks ago by the Las Vegas Gladiators of the Arena Football League following a 1-5 start.

King attended the Indianapolis Colts camp last season before he was released in September.

King appeared in 34 NFL games from 1999 to 2005. He spent five seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers before joining the Arizona Cardinals for two seasons in 2004. He has thrown for 4,566 yards and 27 touchdowns in his career along with 24 interceptions.

Desjardins admitted that King is exploring NFL possibilities and that his chances of being at Tiger-Cats training camp this spring were less than 50-50.

Desjardins added that the team's interest in King is no reflection on starter Jason Maas, who had arm surgery this off-season after posting his worst season as a pro.

Aside from Maas, Hamilton will have Rocky Butler, Richie Williams and Timmy Chang in camp competing for the quarterback position.

I bet Disco Danny would welcome Maas back in a heartbeat if he got cut.

…i think they would probably be happier being together again sport…they had a ‘special’ kind of relationship…not only that, Dancin’ Danny could throw Jason into the game …after Ricky gets tired of getting sacked… :lol:

If he has any intention of coming back he needs to relax, and remain level-headed when playing in every game.
[/quote]
Interesting that when you hear criticism towards Ricky Ray it is because of his calm demeanor. I have read more than once in here about how Ray needs to be more of an emotional leader and they make the comparison to Jason Maas.

That is Maas' nature. He's fiery and intense, but I agree with you that he takes himself out of focus mentally sometimes. It's ok once in a while, like when he was yelling at the Oline, trying to get them fired up in the western final against BC. To do that every game gets old fast.

As far as last season goes, I agree that Maas was injured. I think he may be finished in pro ball. He continually had shoulder problems here in Edmonton as well. He's a game competitor for sure, but I don't know how many times a guy can recover from injury and remain at the same level.

Cheers

Maas is good QB and a by all accounts a great guy. They love him down in Yuma :->

I really think he's best suited to a platoon situation though, like they had in Edmonton when Maas helped engineer that playoff drive to get the Esks to the Grey Cup a few years ago.

I have to laugh at all you people that claim Maas had no Recievers to throw to last year !!! It wouldn't have mattered who the receivers were when you can't get the ball to them. Hamilton played a quarterback who was suffering an injury and continued to use him the entire season showing that they had NO interest in the health of their players.
They also had a playbook that s-u-c-k-e-d royally to the extent that routes were made up in the huddle like we used to do in sandlot games. The blame for the terrible season was put on the shoulders of the recievers by the present GM and probably the new HC.
Had the Receivers had a better playbook and a QB that wasn't hurt much more could have been acomplished.

How any person responds to the surgery will vary. I've had a rebuild job done on my shoulder and it is as strong as it ever was. I've also met other people who had less work done who have been crippled.

According to my surgeon, the level of fitness prior to the surgery is the greatest determining factor. While I won't go out on a limb here, a fit guy like Mass should expect a full recovery and have a great year throwing.