James Wilder Plans To Sit Out 2018 Season

Actually veteran player salaries are guaranteed after Labour Day until the end of the season, including incentives, playoff bonuses and championship rings, even if they are released. With so many players signing one-year deals, their contracts are essentially guaranteed if they play the first 8-10 games of the season (unlike in the NFL).

CFL coaches are bound by their contracts, just ask Neil Thorpe. Coaches are normally allowed to leave if they're offered a promotion to a more senior level position with another team. Many positional coaches are on one-year contracts, often working seasonally, so their contracts are a moot point.

If the CFL wants to continue operating as a professional league, player contracts must be ironclad. Players willfully sign the contracts offered and they should be required to honour them.

If the Argos let Wilder walk, perhaps the contract of every 1000-yd rusher should be torn up, so they can tryout in the NFL, but 999-yds or less then your stuck in the CFL? Maybe the NFL could call-up players during the CFL season? I'm sure the players wouldn't mind and it might generate some much needed press for the league!

With the CFL contemplating giving up Fall football to the NFL and becoming a Spring league, CFL fans would be able to follow their favourite NFL team for the entire season. No irritating scheduling conflicts with little 'ole Canadian football. TSN would love this and so would all fans of both leagues! Maybe star players could play in both leagues in the same season, with the CFL becoming a true and fitting farm-league for...The National Football League.

Good observation .

I keep returning to Toronto, the elephant in the room . Rogers capitulation after a terrible year at BMO is a remarkable turn of events and incredibly odd timing.

So the flagship franchise is now controlled by two thirds who offered a Billion dollars to own the Buffalo Bills .

And the third is heavily invested in NFL TV rights on it’s premier channel CTV .

Just strange bedfellows for the other eight CFL owners .

2 weeks ago Wilder says he is going to go for 1K and 1K.
Today he says he is going to go unless he gets $100K. :wink:

James Wilder Jr?Verified account
[ltr]@IAm_Wilder32[/ltr]
I will be the first @CFL player to get 1k-1k
I talk my goals into existence, I absolutely love the pressure, No more just big goals, BEST goals only this year of 2018 for me!!!!!!
#HUMBLEbutHUNGRY #WILDER1k1kCHASE
#getWILDER

6:24 PM - 8 Jan 2018

I wonder what Wilder's response would be if,
He was offered $100K but he must add another year to his contract??

David William Naylor?Verified account
@TSNDaveNaylor
Argos GM Jim Popp says if NFL teams have been expressing interest in @IAm_Wilder32 then they are in violation of agreement between CFL and NFL because he is under contract. #CFL #Argos

Last year the media went all out and made this guy the feel good story of the season.. This scenario is a big problem with our league. One I do not like. Too much turnover, but it is a two way street and I say let him go, who cares ? When he fails in his attempt at greed, I feel he should not be allowed back by any team. Maybe the league should mandate this kind of law. If you won't honour our contracts then you are blackballed.

Normally I don’t agree with a player who wants more money after they signed a deal. However this case is different. He has been receiving some interest down south and obviously that is more lucrative if it pans out. All he is saying he needs to remain healthy for that opportunity, so he will sit out here and not get paid. He is taking substantial financial risk by declining to accept his CFL pay, but at the same time he is mitigating his physical risk by not playing for peanuts.

Contracts aren’t a sentence, they are an agreement, and if either of the two parties don’t fulfill their obligations - they suffer the associated financial loss outlined in the contract. Wilder has said he will suffer the financial loss. His health is worth more than $56K. I agree with that logic.

If the Argos turn this into a circus by accusing the NFL of interfering, it could be very negative PR for both the Argos and the CFL as it highlights how lousy our CFL pay structure is and REALLY makes us look bush league.

In the future: how does the CFL or any team avoid this situation? Don’t offer insulting contracts to a very talented young player who is desperate for a paycheque. Offer them their market worth. If there was a $100K minimum CFL contract value that all had to comply with - none of this would he happening. Time for the commissioner to deal with this league-wide issue.

I didn't sign his application form, HE DID ! This kind of crap is what makes the CFL look bush league already. the Argos probably felt they were taking a chance with him and this is how it turns out. Blaming the league for no minimum is ludicrous... See you later Wilder. The league does not revolve around you. Don't come back looking for sympathy. Although some here will make excuses for anything. It all comes down to one word 'HONOUR'. Either you have it or you don't.

I think you may not understand that everyday in Canada - thousands of business contracts get broken and both parties walk away and are accepting of the consequences of the broken contract (because it’s outlined in the contract). It’s just business. There’s no nobility or honour at stake. Business only.

And if Wilder is a dime a dozen - then the Argos can just go find another Wilder.

And I think that you may not understand that there are people like myself that stand by their word.
Wilder is a dime a dozen and even more so if he has no honour. Sad world you live in.

the guy signed a contract. Argos let him out of his deal then they've set a prescedent whereby any player under contract can just leave before the deal is over.

I'm mixed on this, mostly due to his previous statements wanting to do 1k and 1k. Sounded like he wanted to prove himself in the league and had goals.

He has the right to walk. The Argos have the right to hold him to his signed and agreed contract.The fact that teams can walk away from contracts, is not a factor, it is in the bargaining agreement. Take it up your Players association.

I get he wants to be paid more, and if he plays one more season and puts up big numbers in a full season, something he has not done professionally, then take your shot in the NFL, or get a bigger contract in the CFL. How many crash and burn examples are there of one hit wonders.

As for interest, clearly with his dad's links to the NFL, people are probably approaching through him or other NFL links.

Has sitting out a year ever worked for anybody. Especially someone who was already washed out or ignored by the NFL once before?

I'm not sure it's fair to say he's not honoring his contract.

His contract will state he plays for x
If he chooses not to play then the contract will say he does not get paid

He's honoring his contract I would say.

I don’t get what you’re saying. Do you think he signed a contract to NOT play ? He can’t possibly be honouring his contract if he CHOOSES not to play. That is not why they signed him…I’m not wasting any more time on this Wilder POS. He should just go away. The Argos will still be there next year.

When we hear a player get released by a team (in effect - they’re terminating the contract) - the phrase ‘this is a business’ is used by the GM or coach. And we all nod our head in acknowledgement or acceptance - and hope it’s a good decision and hope the player can catch on elsewhere etc.

Contracts are a part of conducting business. Wilder hasn’t broken any laws nor has he violated any code of conduct. He’s choosing to void or terminate his contract and pay the consequences. Freedom. It’s a great thing. Otherwise we must exist in a dictator state or communism where we don’t have rights or flexibilities like this. Is that what you’re advocating? That the team can void or terminate a contract but the player cannot?
That my friend, would be a very, very sad world to live in.

It’s like you’re taking it personally that Wilder is exercising his legal rights. Yet you don’t accuse the team of not being ‘honourable’ - if THEY release a player. Very odd. I’m don’t believe you understand how contracts are designed to work.

Exactly.

I was wondering the same when I saw this on TSN. I suppose that if enough attention is drawn to this that the NFL might investigate…but that seems unlikely.

Funny how 2 weeks ago he was going to set records and be the first 1000 / 1000 in CFL history…suddenly he gets a tap on the shoulder from down south and wants out. I don’t fault him for wanting to go to the NFL, but it seemed he was prepared to play pretty recently. Hard to have any sympathy here as he appears to be trying to play PR games by taking it all public and force the Argos into something based on public image…I think this may backfire for him.

Wilder is taking a big risk, no doubt. He’s giving up his predetermined paycheque right now, in hopes of getting a much bigger one next season, or if he’s released this season.

Let’s call him an ‘entrepreneur’. Heard that word somewhere, lol.

If Wilder doesn’t sign somewhere next season - he essentially could be broke from this decision he’s making now. He’s taking a very big risk. More than the Argos are.

The union allowed the workout window to be removed
The union has not forced some sort of closed contract…and will not chase it at this time because it would mean active player salaries would actually be lower…

I would say it is the union’s fault the contracts are one sided, not management’s

It’s 46,000 USD. I’m sure he could find work to replace Football for a year that would get him close to those dollars. I think it’s a little premature to get him signed up for the food bank.

What I don’t get is Wilder doubted his abilities when he signed the contract . Now that the Argos are putting a game plan to utilize his strengths he is all hot and bothered about getting injured . The money was always just compensation but when he actually has to take to the field after September’s breakout it’s too little money but sitting on the side lines and watching it’s great money. I think somebody is giving him poor advice .

If he has NFL tastes then prove it on the field like he said he was going to do two weeks earlier and dominate by setting the records he declared . Sitting out and not playing as you get older you lose that quick twitch strengths and coordination u need at this level .

Surely you don’t think his college degree was actually ‘earned’ like an actual degree?
And that at 25 he can now derive a decent income from that degree?

Regardless, he’s not doing anything wrong or unethical or dishonourable by exercising the rights within his contract to NOT play and NOT get paid.

The Argos best move here would be to release him, or renegotiate his deal to retain his services for 2018. If he’s a dime a dozen as some have suggested, then the Argos can easily replace him.