Jamel Robertson

Hey Lions, congrats on signing Robertson, I'd like to say I don't understand what T.O. was thinking about letting him get off the hook, but I don't understand alot of things happening in Argo land these days. Although he probably was looking at a bigger paycheque, and probably deservedly so. Good pick up, this guy will haunt teams for years to come. Wish he was here. :thup:

agreed! even tho he played for the blew team, I always liked his power and speed

Damn good pickup Mr. Wally Buono!

This makes my empire tickets that much sweeter. BC just became all the more potent on offence. thumbs up lions, thumbs down for the rest of the west..

I have NO CLUE what the boatmen are doing.

I guess this answers our running back question!

I like Jamal, but at age 33, he won’t be haunting teams for much longer.

i agree however unlike alot of backs, he doesnt have that much mileage on him but still i agree 33 for a running back is getting up there.

[b]JAMEL ROBERTSON LOOKS LIKE A GOOD STOP GAP MEASURE, A PRETTY GOOD RUN/PASS OUT OF THE BACKFIELD/SIXTH PASS BLOCKER GUY WHILE JAMALL LEE GAINS EXPERIENCE WITH OUR OFFENSE. SAME THING AS KELVIM ANDERSON WAS A FEW YEARS AGO, REMEMBER KIDS? BUT THE FACT THAT ADAM RITA GAVE HIM UP TELLS YOU SOMETHING, DOESN'T IT? AT 33 YEARS OF AGE YOU JUST KNOW WALLY IS ALREADY LOOKING TO BRING SOME GOOD AMERICANS TO COMPETE WITH ROBERTSON FOR THAT BACKFIELD POSITION IN TRAINING CAMP. DAVIS SANCHEZ IS NO SPRING CHICKEN EITHER BUT HIS EXPERIENCE WILL HOPEFULLY SOLIDIFY THE SECONDARY NOW THAT BARRON MILES IS A POSITION COACH.

[color=#000000]KUDOS TO WALLY FOR BRINGING IN THREE OF THE FIVE MEMBERS OF THAT GREAT MONTREAL SECONDARY THAT WERE SO DOMINANT UNDER 'THE DON" IN MONTREAL]

IF YOU ASK ME THE BIG PERSONNEL GOAL FOR MANAGEMENT IS GETTING WAY BETTER TACKLERS AT LINEBACKER AND SECONDARY; HOW MANY TIMES LAST SEASON DID OPPOSING BACKS AND LINEBACKERS MISS TACKLES WHEN THEY WERE WELL-POSITIONED TO WRAP UP AND MAKE A GOOD FOOTBALL PLAY? THIS ENDEMIC TACKLING PROBLEM ISN'T JUST AFFECTING THE CFL, IT IS ALL OVER U. S. FOOTBALL TOO: DEFENDERS ARE GOING FOR THAT BIG KNOCKOUT HIT INSTEAD OF WRAPPING UP AND HAULING THEIR MAN DOWN!

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT HAVING TO ONCE AGAIN RETOOL OUR OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE LINES. OUR THREE INSIDE OFFENSIVE LINEMEN WERE A SIEVE LAST YEAR AND HAVE TO BE MUCH MORE CONSISTENT AT PASS PROTECT IF WE ARE TO COMPETE AGAINST THE BEST DEFENSIVE LINES IN OUR CONFERENCE. WE'VE LOST TWO EXPERIENCED, VETERAN LINEMEN — JASON JIMANEZ AND RICKY FOLEY— AND I AM SURE BUONO AND THE REST OF MANAGEMENT ARE LEAVING NO STONE UNTURNED TO ENSURE THOSE POSITIONS ARE FILLED WITH GENUINE STARTERS. I REALLY LIKE WILLIAMS AND HUNT INSIDE IF THEY CAN STAY HEALTHY, BUT WE NEED A REALLY QUICK, BIG-MOTOR GUY AT RUSH END WHO DOESN'T GET RAN OVER ON THE GROUND. WE NEED A CONTAIN GUY TO PLATOON WITH BRENT JOHNSON WHO, LET'S FACE IT KIDS, AIN'T GETTIN' ANY YOUNGER (READ QUICKER). OUR LINEBACKERS CAN'T GET PICKED OFF SO OFTEN AND LEAVE OUR SAFETY TO BE THE FIRST GUY GETTING A HELMET ON THE BALL CARRIER. LOSING JAVY GLATT TO THE ESKIMOS AND ARMOUR TO RETIREMENT MAY HAVE SIMULTANEOUSLY 'IMPROVED' OUR LINEBACKER CORP (YUCK, YUCK...) BUT IT ALSO HURT OUR KICK COVER TEAMS. JAMES YURICHUCK AND JASON ARAKI ARE GOING TO COMPETE HARD FOR THOSE VACANT LINEBACKER SPOTS. SO WE'LL HAVE TO FIND A COUPLE MORE 'PSYCHO TYPES' TO BE THOSE FIRST GOOD TACKLERS ON THE KICK COVER TEAMS. I''D LIKE TO SEE AN UPGRADE AT FULLBACK; SOMEONE WE CAN FLARE IT OUT TO, CAN POUND IT INSIDE ON SECOND AND SHORT OR CATCH A LINEBACKER NAPPING ALONG THE SIDELINE. WHY IS LYLE GREENE ONLY PLAYING ON SPECIAL TEAMS, WITH HIS EXPERIENCE AND GOOD HANDS?

I'M NOT AS WORRIED ABOUT THE QUARTERBACK POSITION AS OTHER POSTERS ON THIS SITE SEEM. I DON'T KNOW IF BUCK IS DONE OR NOT BUT IF HE TRIES TO COME BACK IN 2010 HE HAS TO REALIZE HE CAN'T JUST RUN RIGHT AT MIDDLE LINEBACKERS THAT ARE LOOKING TO KNOCK HIM OUT OF THE GAME. HE'S A LOT LIKE DAVE DICKENSON WAS; CEREBRAL AND TOUGH BUT TOO BRITTLE FOR HIS OWN GOOD SOMETIMES. IF PRINTERS FALTERS WE HAVE ANOTHER BIG, TALL, STRONG ARM GUY THAT CAN RUN THE BALL IN JARIUS JACKSON AND A CAGEY, ALBEIT FRAGILE TRAVIS LULAY WORKING THE CLIPBOARD. LULAY CAN BE EFFECTIVE BUT LIKE ANY QB REQUIRES PROTECTION FOR MORE THAN A SECOND AND A HALF. (REFER TO PREVIOUS PARAGRAPH.) ZACK CHAMPION WILL HAVE ONE MORE YEAR OF EXPERIENCE WITH THIS OFFENSE, SO THE COACHES WILL BE LOOKING FOR IMPROVEMENT FROM HIM, BUT I ONLY ASSUME HE IS GOING TO TRY FOR A JOB THIS YEAR.

IN MAY THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD PROSPECTS AVAILABLE IN THE CFL DRAFT, INCLUDING A BIG LEFT OFFENSIVE TACKLE AND A HUGE, 6 FOOT EIGHT RIGHT GUARD FROM BC. PLENTY OF GRADUATING CANADIAN COLLEGIANS LOOKING FOR A JOB, INCLUDING A 6' 2'', 245 POUND LINEBACKER FROM A BACK EAST SCHOOL. LOTS OF GOOD, CLEAR-HEADED YOUNG GUYS LOOKING TO MAKE IT IN THE PROS, PLUS A BUNCH OF AGING VETERANS LIKE A NOW-HEALTHY JON HAMEISTER REIS HOPING TO REVIVE THEIR CAREERS.

LAST THOUGHT: I HEARD WHEN JAVY GLATT ARRIVED IN EDMONTON ESKIMO MANAGEMENT WAS WAITING TO GREET HIM THERE, AS WELL AS SOME OF HIS NEW TEAMMATES WHO IMMEDIATELY MADE HIM FEEL WELCOME. GLATT POINTED OUT THAT IN BC HE NEVER FEALT THAT SENSE OF BELONGING. PERHAPS THE FOOTBALL OLIGARCHY THAT IS LIONS' UPPER MANAGEMENT COULD TAKE A PAGE FROM THE CITY OF CHAMPIONS' PLAY BOOK AND STOP MAKING FOOTBALL SEEM LIKE STALAG 17. THE INDUSTRY TERM FOR IT IS, NOT SURPRISINGLY, TEAM BUILDING. LOOK AT THE GUYS WHO'VE GOT OUTTA HERE OR WERE PUSHED OUT AND ARE STILL EFFECTIVE: ROB MURPHY, KELLY BATES AND RYAN THELWELL ,JUST TO NAME A FEW. FOLEY JUMPED TO THE SEAHAWKS AND MALLETT LEFT AS SOON AS HE COULD. WE LET DICKENSON GO TO CALGARY WHERE HE HAS REALLY HELPED HENRY BURRIS. THROUGHOUT THE BUONO YEARS PLENTY OF GUYS WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH FOR WALLY BUT HAVE STUCK AS STARTERS WITH OTHER TEAMS. WHY IS THAT?

AND SO IT GOES.

(This gripping insight brought to you by the pen of your humble scribe — DOOGER IN SURREY :cowboy:

PS. GO 'NUCKS, LET'S DISPENSE WITH THOSE PESKY KINGS OR WINGS OR PREDATORS OR AVALANCHE IN THE FIRST ROUND AND GO DEEP IN THE POST SEASON!!!!!!

PPS. AND HOW 'BOUT THOSE OLYMPICS AND PARALYMPICS, EH! WHAT A PLEASURE WATCHING OUR TREMENDOUS CANADIAN ATHLETES LEADING THE WORLD IN GOLD MEDALS! [/b]

Problem with your Caps Lock key ?

yipe

whoa nelly - cabin fever!

Hey Dooger:

How long have you been following the CFL???? Buono, the BC Lions and every other team recycles players continually. Sometimes it is a matter of the right-fit on the right team, other times it is a discipline or personality issue that works against team-building. I think Buono's record speaks sufficiently for his coaching and GM abilities; not to say he doesn't make mistakes and sometimes is TOO loyal to the guys he thinks are the core starters.

As far as Jamal Robertson goes, we need a contender to start at RB and he will at least be able to complement an new up-and-comer or be the starter until someone new demands the position by level of play. Or, he is a bust at camp and someone else shows up that looks way better. You never know.

Robertson is a great addition to this team, especially considering his style of play...if teams want to try and blitz Printers consistently, all Casey has to do is check down to Jamal and if he breaks one tackle, he is off for a long gain...he is low to the ground with huge legs...very tough to stop...again, this style fits well with our offensive talents...add Jamal Lee and Andrew Harris to the mix, and we are going to be more than fine at RB...

I saw the "Cody Pickett checkdown to Jamal Robertson" all last season with the Argos....it don't work all that great :slight_smile: