Jake's last game

Looks like Jake Ireland will be retiring after the GC

I love this line from the article

Jake," the man yelled. "I found your cell phone."

There was a pause.

"I know it's yours," he continued, "because there's six missed calls on it."

:lol: http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=970280

Yahooooooooo!

you did catch the part where he is reffing the GC on Sunday?

yahoo

:lol: :lol: :lol: That line was too funny.

So.... unfortunately... is his reffing. The man is a fixture but I don't now - nor have I ever - liked the way that he calls a game or manages an officiating crew. He may be great guy personally but...

Great line! I’ll have to borrow that one for sure!

Some love to make Ireland their favourite whipping boy, but I personally think he deserves a lot of credit for having a long and successful career, and for contributing so much to the game we love. Hopefully he’ll stick around in some capacity. :thup:

Maybe he can be the head of officiating after Tom Higgins leaves.

The article I posted said the league wants him to stick around in some capacity

Wow, I thought it was just Hamiltonians who hate him... but I'm wrong judging from past posts...

and he's from Hamilton!!

Yup good old blind Jake is moving on. Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooo

He just didn't want to show any bias towards the Cats... :wink:

I wonder if Jake has figured out that onside kick call he made against Calgary some years back. That's what I'll remember most about Jake. Probably should have retired ten years ago, but there wasn't too many available to replace him.
The CFL officials are not highly paid and as the saying goes, you only get what you pay for.
But if longlivity gets you in the HOF, Jake will probably be there and be remembered as one of the great officials of our time. :slight_smile:

I don't mind Jake calling the Grey Cup game though because we know he will be under orders to let the players play. :wink:

Its funny!
People dont blame the QB if the reciever drops the pass,
they dont blame the QB if the running back fumbles, or if the safety gets burned for a TD

But they blame the ref if the linesman makes a bad call!!!!!
GO figure

edit
No need to get personal

GO JAKE....HE DA MAN!!!!!

.....I hope Jake has a happy retirement.....orrrrrrr will he be moving into Tom Higgins job after Tom is hired as head-coach in Tarrana.....those nasty Grey Cup week rumours keep popping-up....i wished they 'd stop..... :lol: :lol:

Tom Higgens deserves anothe chance at coaching great guy, good coach. I just hope he has learned that you have to run a team with a fimr hand then the soft touch that he is. As far Jake LOL he would probably do a better job just watching the game for a change because frankly he failed being a ref.

Wow, who'da thunk that Jake had so many supporters. I've watched refs in this league for over 40 years and no ref has had the ability to make me so consistently be upset with his calls as Jake.

contributing so much to the game we love

His were the contributions that I didn't want. Again, I undestand that he may be a fine individual, but his calls certainly appeared to be at least partially motivated by emotion and by stubbornness. This doesn't in any way mean that intentional bad calls were made, but it does mean that his approach influenced the way that he saw things.

I've tried to think this through and I do believe that his reffing stood out from that of others. When the rules around protecting the punt receiver changed to permit the selection of either a 5 or 15 yard penalty, Jake was rhyming off the 15 yd. ones while other refs tended to give the benefit of the doubt. When rules were changed on contacting the receiver he seemed to interpret them differently as well. I think that - though on his terms he was consistent - in the context of the league he appeared inconsistent.

I'm a 'Cat fan and I know that our lot is convinced that Jake had a hate on for the team but lots of people had cause to be upset with him on any given day.

The article I read suggested that he may be called upon to run the "war room" in Toronto, from where all reviews will be done starting next year.

So good news everyone: instead of officiating one game a week, Ireland may be officiating EVERY game. :twisted:

Seriously, everyone always complains about him, but I don't think he's any worse than other refs. Remember that for most of his career there was no video review. And for every "bad" or "missed" call that has hurt a particular team, there is more than likely one that has helped that same team. We just have a tendency to forget those.