Jake Ireland Likes us.... He Really Likes Us

National Post

[i]OAKVILLE, Ont. -- Jake Ireland had barely cracked the lid on his coffee.

"I heard a new line from a fan this year," he said, smiling.

It was in Hamilton, and Ireland, a long-time referee, has always loved working Canadian Football League games in Hamilton. The stands at Ivor Wynne Stadium are snug against the field, which fosters the growth of a certain rapport between officials and the paying customers, like the one who yelled at Ireland this season.

"Jake," the man yelled. "I found your cell phone."

There was a pause.

"I know it's yours," he continued, "because there's six missed calls on it."

Ireland smiled again.

"I thought that was precious," he said. "That's very imaginative."[/i]Continued at...

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=970280

I think the most important part of that story is that he is retiring!

I find some of the comments by George Black ludicrous though!

Exactly

And so did I.

I personally like this line " hay ref get off your knees - wait for it " your blowing the game. "

:lol: Dam that a good one

I thought I'd share a tidbit from my father on this story:

Upon me telling him the news that Jake is retiring, his immediate reaction was "thank heavens for small mercies"...quickly followed up (after hearing of him calling the Grey Cup).."whats he gonna do? Make some collosal blunder to make sure he is remembered?"

Jake’s retired! YaaHoo!

As a former official I can relate to the dedication one must have to the sport to do the job. That I respect in Jake. The CFL is a family with the officials just as much a part as anyone else. If I bump into Jake in TigerTown I’ll clink his glass.

However, it seemed his crews could find a TiCat holding call on the other side of the moon right after a big offensive gain where no other set of eyes could, so good riddance.

Jake's retired! YaaHoo!

As a former official I can relate to the dedication one must have to the sport to do the job. That I respect in Jake. The CFL is a family with the officials just as much a part as anyone else. If I bump into Jake in TigerTown I'll clink his glass.

However, it seemed his crews could find a TiCat holding call on the other side of the moon right after a big offensive gain where no other set of eyes could, so good riddance.

it seemed ireland and his crew did as much damage to Bob,s team as Taaffe did!!! swing the penalties and non calls the other way and this frachise is alot closer to 500 .

As a former official Were you a ball boy?

hehe they just had him on TSN in an interview and they asked him 'where was the toughest to ref' and he said Hamilton haha.
Be proud!

I liked the part where it was said that he heard a fan at IWS say he had Ireland's cell phone, and that it must have belonged to Ireland because it said "6 missed calls" on it. :lol:

The Grey cup was Jakes last game as CFL Ref
I want thank him years of Service to the CFL
This was Fitting way to go out GL in Future to Jake ..

He posed for some pictures with the Forbidden Website guys. (I mean the Argos-Suck.com guys).

Good man, Onknight! I didn’t approve of all of Jake’s calls, but I wouldn’t have traded places with him either. Enjoy your retirement, Jake!