JAKE IRELAND/COMMAND CENTRE

Jake always did see the Game a little different than the rest of us. :slight_smile:

CFL admits it blew replay call in Ticats loss to Redblacks

[b][i]The CFL has acknowledged it made a mistake on a key replay review in the Hamilton Tiger-Cats loss to the Ottawa Redblacks on Friday night.

With just under seven minutes left to play and the Ticats leading by a single point, Ottawa receiver Greg Ellingson made what looked to be a catch over the middle, the ball popping loose as he went to the ground. The Ticats challenged, alleging the Ottawa receiver fumbled the football. Instead, the command centre ruled the pass incomplete. On the next play, the Redblacks kicked a field goal and led by two with just over five minutes to play.

Those points would prove to be the difference as Ottawa held on for the 30-29 win.

But CFL vice president of football Glen Johnson acknowledged on Saturday that replay official Jeff Harbin made a mistake.

“The Replay Official should not have ruled the pass incomplete last night on the Replay Review,? Johnson said. “It was a catch.?

The mistake could be a costly one for the Ticats who are now 6-9 and trail the Redblacks by three points for first place in the East. These two teams will meet again next Friday in Ottawa, a game Hamilton must win in order to have any shot at the division title
[/i][/b]

[url=http://3downnation.com/2016/10/15/cfl-admits-blew-replay-call-ticats-loss-redblacks/]http://3downnation.com/2016/10/15/cfl-a ... redblacks/[/url]

There is only one guy in the Command center???

Where were the other guys? Watching the Blue Jays maybe??

Two years in a row. Way to go, Command Centre. You're officially no better than last year. Donkeys.

[url=http://3downnation.com/2015/11/04/cfl-admits-it-blew-key-calls-in-ticats-loss-to-redblacks/]http://3downnation.com/2015/11/04/cfl-a ... redblacks/[/url]

Good recall Count Floyd. So, it's a 232 -- 2 seasons, 3 league admitted incorrect calls, and 2 key RB wins over the TiCats.
Maybe there is something to the belief, by some contributors to this forum, that some league officials have it in for the Tiger-Cats and / or Kent Austin.

Certainly in the nfl that is a imcomplete pass with their silly ‘football move’ rule (Cowboy fans know this rule haha)

Maybe Jake the snake got confused which league he was watching?

[/u][/b]

This is a long held belief of Ti-Cat fans. Way back in 1955 (just a kid then :smiley: ) we knew that the Ti-cats had to beat the other team plus the referees in order to win a game.

JOKE JOKE JOKE JOKE JOKE of a league… Two years in a row versus the same team?? In a must win game?? Playoff implications on the line aka we host the East Final or they do…of course the league would rather Ottawa host it, just like last year. Im not a conspiracy type of guy but this just reeks of inside work… TWO YEARS IN A ROW, HOW?

Dont know last time ive been this mad about football, usually I can keep my wits but this is just absolute b.s two years in row… Why the hell watch if you know the refs or command centre are going to have a massive impact on the outcome whether they are right or wrong. So stupid, it was called a completed pass on the field, we challenge for a fumble, they then decide it was never a completed pass so technically Austin was challenging nothing in the end, just makes ZERO sense and you could tell as Proulx announced it at the stadium he did not wanna do it because he knew it made no sense as well…most people at the stadium didnt even clue in that they overturned it to an incomplete pass…because Austin was challenging a goddamn fumble, why would they?

I love the CFL but they really don’t make it easy at times, this one has really rubbed me the wrong way. I let last year slide but two years in a row, thats just bullshit plain and simple.

For your consideration...

CFL Official Playing Rules:
Rule 6 - Passing:
Section 4 - Forward Pass:
Article 4 - Complete Forward Pass:

Sub Article (f):

"When a receiver of either team, who is in the air and has complete control of the ball, has his feet or another part of his body hit the ground, he must retain possession for the pass to be ruled complete, with or without contact by an opponent."

Did the interpretation and application of this rule lead to the "fuzzy logic" call by the Command Closet?

Yup, if the rough play helmet to helmet wasn’t missed it probably would have been 1st down Redblacks on the Cats 5 yd line. Why have challenges if the upstairs judges are only as good as those on the field. Incomplete pass? My -ss!

Re: JAKE IRELAND/COMMAND CENTRE
by Grover » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:13 pm

"CFL admits it blew replay call in Ticats loss to Redblacks

But CFL vice president of football Glen Johnson acknowledged on Saturday that replay official Jeff Harbin made a mistake."

We can stop blaming Jake Ireland for everything ,the official was named above.
Since two or three calls have been blown recently by the CC ,is it time to return to the Official on the field reviewing the call ?
It is definitely time to make big changes ,these Officials are not over ruling Officials on the field or are covering their a.. like the call in Hamilton ,so either get them free coffee to wake up or check their blood alcohol/drug levels.

Could be. But if a correct application of this rule would make the Ellingson play an incomplete pass, then virtually any fumble by a receiver could be turned into an incomplete pass if the receiver dropped to the ground after fumbling, regardless of what happened between the time his feet hit the ground and the time the fumble occurred (provided he was in the air when he gained possession of the ball).

The good news is that the league has declared that Friday’s scenario was not a correct application of this rule. The bad news is the outcome of the game still stands.

So, they should explain why he got it wrong. Does he not know the rules? If they are saying he was wrong, then that means he either doesn't know the rules or is incompetent. They didn't say it was a judgement call, they said it was the wrong call. This is much different than an onfield ref making a mistake. This is a replay official with time to look at it from every angle.
Why was the wrong call made?

Both of Ellington’s feet hit the ground and he had control as he made 2+ steps backwards so there should have been no misinterpretation of the rule. And his backside had not touched down before he started losing control of the ball.

Should have been ruled a fumble rather than an incomplete pass, as the League has admitted post game and too late.

They have made 2 glaring, possibly outcome-changing errors in games between the Ticats & Redblacks. Not only could the outcomes have been different, but possibly the standings could have been different had they gotten these calls right. Players and coaches are trying to hold onto their jobs & their incomes are potentially being affected by the incorrect calls by the command centre (should the Ticats miss the playoffs & accompanying extra bonuses, for example).

So, what I want to know is this:

Exactly what is the league prepared to do about this?

I understand them getting one game wrong, mistakes happen. But when it's the same 2 teams, fighting for the same 1st place playoff position, with similar records & the Ticats come out on the short end of the stick 2 years in a row, you have to wonder if there's an agenda to get Ottawa back to the Cup in the league office. I'm not normally a conspiracy minded person...but the coincidences here beggar belief.

They fined Austin for hitting an official & Maas for choosing not to wear a microphone & not telling anyone. They felt that in both cases, the reputation of the league was impacted negatively. How is this situation any different? The league's credibility has been compromised. They owe Austin & our team more than an apology (which btw, hasn't been offered) & an explanation.

One word" SNAKE "

Except it wasn’t him.

[url=http://3downnation.com/2016/10/15/cfl-admits-blew-replay-call-ticats-loss-redblacks/]http://3downnation.com/2016/10/15/cfl-a ... redblacks/[/url]

But CFL vice president of football Glen Johnson acknowledged on Saturday that replay official Jeff Harbin made a mistake.

Don’t know about '55 but it was true in '56 and beyond.

Here is the skinny on the call

Secondly, our replay official went down a path of catch-no catch as opposed to ruling it as a catch – which it was – and dealing with the down by contact.

Drew Edwards: Why would he do that?

Glen Johnson: [b][i]As soon as something is reviewable, all aspects of a play that are reviewable can be changed. So, for example, if a coach challenges defensive pass interference, we look at all challengeable elements as well as the DPI. So let’s say the quarterback was across the line of scrimmage when he threw the ball and we discover that while we’re doing the review, we fix that as well. So that’s the mindset the replay official has: fix all the things that are challengeable.

In this case, when the replay official started to look at it his initial reaction was ‘he’s not under control, stumbling and falling backwards, so he’s got to survive contact with the ground.’ That was his initial approach to it, which wasn’t correct: it met the standard of a catch. He should have gotten past that quickly and then looked at the thing that was directly challenged.

So we had a collision of two events on the same play that were incorrect and the right thing wasn’t done[/i][/b].

Drew Edwards: So the issue of whether Greg Ellingson fumbled the football was never really examined.

Glen Johnson: They stopped short of that.

More here

[url=http://3downnation.com/2016/10/17/replay-qa-cfl-vp-glen-johnson-explains-went-wrong-ticats-loss-redblacks/]http://3downnation.com/2016/10/17/repla ... redblacks/[/url]

In my opinion they get as many calls wrong on replay and it slows the game and natural momentum significantly.

CFL refs need to stop over thinking their role in the game. Just another example of the refs on or off the field making things up that simply aren't necessary. When in doubt if it doesn't affect the play or is borderline don't throw a flag.

On the replay....When everyone is looking for a no fumble or fumble outcome of a call don't come up with a third option completely out of the blue that no one was expecting or doesn't even make sense. You are not smarter than the 800,000 people watching the game that were waiting for a fumble or no fumble call!! Keep it simple and use some common sense on and off the field. The only people giving refs credit for making up calls that no one else sees are their peers in the ref fraternity. (or ref nerds). Good officials know it is better to go unrecognized during a game.

I agree, if they have to look at all aspects of the play, will the next one be, the Center moved the ball before the snap, or a Coach had a toe over the sideline on the field of play, or heaven forbid that there was Offensive holding, which they say could be called on almost every play!
This is another case of Over - Officiating at its worst!
The challenge was for a Fumble, If he said he never even got to whether it was a fumble or not, What the heck took so long to decide, maybe because apparently he was arguing with Ref Proulx who was adamant that he was making the wrong call!