It's Official! Toronto-Bills Series extends another 5 years

:thup:

I didnt know the argos played the bills????

Interesting article…

[url=http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/2013/03/18/nfl_approves_bills_10year_271_million_lease_and_renovations_to_ralph_wilson_stadium.html]http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/ ... adium.html[/url]

Hey Cool

( Did you read of any Rogers media brass in the attendance at the NFLs owners meetings?)

This must just rip through their souls and the shareholders of Rogers pocket books.

I never did hear of that, but signing this lease extension, raises some questions with where the Bills end up in the foreseeable future...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Niagara Falls, NY in the end as they want/need to make it as easy as possible for Canadians to go to games as I was reading. If Rogers does put in a bid and win the bid for the team when they are up for sale, look to see Rogers play the state of NY agains't Ontario to who can build a new stadium with the most government money.

I would not hold my breath in terms of public money from Ontario is there is a stadium it will have to be private funds.

Tied to an Olympics, not all private money in that case, in fact hardly any private money. Look to Rogers to be promoting the Olympics in Toronto big time. The Rogers Centre they now have is an outdated bowl and they need to get rid of that stadium at some point to show they are still "with it" for the "in crowd". Easy to spend on salaries for baseball players, but can they get a stadium that the "in crowd" will demand, if they are smart, soon? We'll see. Suckers for anyone to be a season ticket holder in that bowl dump for baseball, football etc.

But what if they don’t get the Olympics?

I don't know jay but I think that Rogers, probably from the family's request to honour their father, is out to spend money big time ie. Jays salaries and renewal of the Bills series (showbiz stuff and let's face it, cell phones and cable and that sort of stuff aren't that showbizzy really while "big time" American pro sports are. Toronto has had the World Series, they want a Super Bowl I'm sure). Also saw this article about the Bills and Niagara Falls. I personally don't see the lease penalty as an impediment much for Rogers purchasing the Bills and relocating them to Toronto and I'm sure Rogers would have a reduction in the lease pensalty as they would argue that they've been paying to enhance the franchise with this Bills series. I am coming to think that the Bills are going to be in Rogers hands sooner rather than later as the Falls and the entire area of greater Buffalo is not economically viable for the Bills I don't think. But who knows:

Dems in Niagara Legislature back Bills move to Falls

[i]The Democrats in the Niagara County Legislature want to go on the record in support of moving the Buffalo Bills to Niagara Falls.

Legislator Jason A. Zona, one of three Democrats in the 15-member Legislature, on Wednesday released a measure he and his colleagues, Dennis F. Virtuoso and Owen T. Steed, plan to introduce when the Legislature next meets April 16, placing the county on record in support of construction of a new stadium for the Bills in downtown Niagara Falls once the Bills’ new lease on Ralph Wilson Stadium runs out.

All three lawmakers are from Niagara Falls.

There was no reaction from the Bills, whose main spokesman, Scott Berchtold, is on vacation. But Niagara Falls Mayor Paul A. Dyster reacted cautiously.

“I would do anything I was asked to do by the Bills to help them stay in Western New York,? Dyster said. “I don’t want to do anything that would make it look like I was fishing in troubled waters.?

The new lease the Bills agreed to on the Orchard Park stadium is for 10 years, but there is a loophole that allows the Bills to move by paying a $29 million penalty in the seventh year of the deal. In all other years, the relocation penalty would be $400 million[/i]...

[url=http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130320/CITYANDREGION/130329934/1003]http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 29934/1003[/url]

Reading all this again the state of NY is spinning their wheels, they know they cant compete with the multibillions of a foreigner in Rogers. Sad, very sad as I respect the the history and tradition of the Bills in New York state and Buffalo but it's apparent, it's really just the Canadian fans that are keeping any thought of the Bills staying in the WNY area anyways. :cry:

Earl , I do think if the CRTC opens the communication flood gates in the near future for more competition , Rogers won't be in as strong financial position to spend $ 1-2 billion on a team and stadium without government help , will it come from government , I highly doubt it
Rogers has been very quiet since spending big bucks on the Jays , I wonder if this isn't a feeler of some sort whether good or bad on carrying the sports torch further with the consideration of a billion dollar expenditure on another sports franchise (BILLS) , there has to be MANY eyes watching this closely and their board of directors - if they screw up with their customer base to much , the markets will be the deciding factor and our dollar.

They will TOAST Rogers

The negotiations between NFL , ROGERS , with the city of Buffalo and the state of New York will get very nasty ( there is BIG, BIG ego here)

Canadian vs American it's still there

Good read gem. Could get real nasty for sure. :o Rogers is as an aggressive company as I've seen in Canada and arrogant to boot, they, well some in the company like a Phil Lind I'm sure and maybe the Rogers family, would love to try and take on the state of New York and win in something like this. They are trying now to do it in baseball. Rogers thinks they are invincible and people won't leave them ie cable, wireless for other companies. We'll see.

Yeah, Rogers wouldn’t be so bad if:

• their mobile service worked outside of a major area
  • Their independent channels were not so extremely biased
  • They didn’t try their damnedest to rape people on hidden fees
  • Their customer service wasn’t so bad.

IMO Rogers is inexpensive cable and expensive phones with crap to no service in rural areas. They would, IMO, lock you into a 10 year deal with no phone upgrade in it in a heartbeat if they could figure out how.

Yes depop, maybe the Blue Jays are more about diversion of how they run their man business so people think they are "great" for saving Canada's only MLB team therefore lets support them with the cell phone contracts, cable etc. Rogers isn't stupid, even if some like me don't particularly care for them.

What I see is , how is Rogers going to sell the NFL purchase of a football team to the Canadian public if it it going to damage the CFL to some extent
What is going to happen if there is a backlash - maybe

HAHAHA your all funny how you take a story a twist it up so its so distorted it's unrecognizable.

how on earth does a story about allowing funding for a stadium in Niagara falls NY go to Rogers buying the bills?

Easy, if a new stadium for the Bills happens in Niagara Falls (or Buffalo for that matter), then that means in all liklihood that Rogers wasn't able to purchase the Bills and move them to Toronto. If Ralph Wilson passes away tomorrow and Rogers does purchase the Bills, then no new stadium in the Falls or Buffalo as Rogers will make it very clear, as did Balsillie with the Yotes saying he would move them to Hamilton, that the Bills will be moving to Toronto.

That's the way I and many others see it. Niagara Falls and the state of NY is not going to get a stadium built for the Bills if Rogers buys them, I would say. Make sense?

ASSUMPTIONS ARE DANGEROUS....

funny tho to see some CFL fans get worked up about stuff ..

True enough, who knows what can happen in the long run.

Remember, I'm an NFL fan as well, the Bills are my 2nd favourite team after the Vikings. Also, what does happen to the Bills can affect football as a whole in s Ontario to some extent although whether the Bills are in Buffalo or Toronto doesn't matter much to the Hamilton and TigerCats fanbase really, the city here is building a new stadium for the Pan Am Games that the Cats will be using afterwards and the fanbase here has been decent since Bob Young took over ownership for a team that hasn't exactly performed in spades. Toronto though is a different story should Rogers or anyone from Toronto purchase the Bills. I'm not so sure the Argos will be able to survive if Toronto does get an NFL team.