It's Official! Lumsden Makes Olympic Bobsled Team

This article by Terry Jones in the Winnipeg Sun today reports that former Ticat Jesse Lumsden was officially named to the Canadian Olympic bobsled team on Sunday night:

[url=http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/vancouver2010/2010/01/18/12506526.html]http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/vanco ... 06526.html[/url]

Good luck to Pierre Lueders, Jesse Lumsden and the rest of the Canadian bobsled team in their quest for gold at the Vancouver 2010 Olympics!

One door closes...another opens. Good on him, and I wish him luck :thup:

What he said.

The only thing this proves is that pretty much anyone can make the Olympics, which cheapens the whole event.

Congrats to Jesse but we all seem to forget that the Olympics USED TO BE about amateur athletes.

Now, all of the athletes are professionals that compete in a World Championship every year. The Olympics is just another event.

We all follow the Olympics but don't care about 99% of the athletes onces the 2 weeks of games are over.

Yes, it's awesome to support our country but to be a true fan of sport, follow these athletes the other 3 years and 50 weeks that aren't the Olympics.

Wow! Why such a disparaging remark about a person who trained hard to make the Olympic team?

I was never on the JL bandwagon the way some people were when he was playing football in Hamilton, but I give him full marks for working hard. His making the Olympics doesn’t cheapen the event in my eyes; more like it proves he’s a fine athlete able to train and compete at a high level in multiple sports.

Canada is a strong competitor in bobsleigh and Pierre Lueders has been one of the top athletes in the world in that sport for years. I guess you feel otherwise, but if Lueders believes JL is a worthy addition to his team, I’ll go along with his assessment.

That’s a big load of BS. Jesse trained and worked hard and so did Rempel who was also asked to try out. The only reason they had a shot in hell of even making it is because they were so well-conditioned from their football careers.

I am very happy for Jesse and Iwill be proud to cheer him on, just as I do with every other member of our Olympic team. I envy him the opportunity to represent Canada and I know he will do us proud.

As for football, I worry that Jesse is still trying to prove something to the nay-sayers and I do think it’s time for him to hang up his cleats. Not because he’s incapable, but because he’s risking permanent injury to that shoulder and that is not a fun prospect. Hopefully one day he’ll be able to hold his children with that arm. I bear him no ill will and I know that he gave his best when he was a Ticat and that’s all I can ask.

Good luck to Jesse and all of the other Olympic athletes.

Stupid comment. When ‘pretty much anyone’ runs, they don’t generate the combination of power and speed Lumsden does – regardless of his bobsleigh specific training.

There are sports that have crossover elements – the power running of a running back and getting that sled going are a good example.

Good on, Jesse.

On in Two,
It people like you that give our Country and Bad name.
You have no Idea how hard Jess has worked to Get here.
He knew nothing about Bobsled 4 years ago
To Become one of Canada’s Best in 4 years is something Special.

Jess has great Pride and He is one hardest working People I have ever met
I Proud to call him a Friend. and to Support Him .
we should Proud of him and every one who has the guts to Strive to be where he is now.
To say anyone can make the Olympics shows how little you know Sir.
90% Of the People In Canada Could not do what he has done.

I am proud of my Friend and Every Other Canadian who made this Olympics Games
Do you have no Civc Pride ???
then maybe you should move else where.
I am Canadian and Proud to be so …
Love it or Leave it

Oh, Canada
Our home and native land,
True patriot love
In all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts
We see thee rise,
The true, north, strong, and free.
From far and wide
Oh Canada
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land
Glorious and free.
Oh, Canada we stand on guard for thee,
Oh, Canada
we stand on guard for thee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwDvF0NtgdU

I hope Jess and His Team Mates get to Hear this Song
It will change his life forever.

Your scope of vision is one of the most limited things I have seen.

Good for him ... hope he's more durable in that sport.

Now if we can get him to scream "WEEEEEEEEEEEE" all the way down it would be a bonus.

Actually i'd cheer for any bobsledder or anyone on the luge or skeleton that screams out 'WEEEEEE" during their entire run

It dose seem fun :slight_smile: :thup:

Congatulations Jesse. This is awesome.

I would love to see you and Pierre Lueders
on the centre of the the 3 medal podiums

while O' Canada is being played.

Lumsden made it on merit so kudos to him. No one handed it to him. Pierre Lueders, the country's most decorated sledder chose Lumsden over everyone else. What else needs to be said?

An Argo-Cat fan

Exactly! Also… it’s not like Lumsden just started doing it. I have read that he started 5-6 years ago and when you think about how fast he is it makes sense. Many of the best bobsledders in the world started out running track or involved in other sports that needed fast legs. It’s all about the push start.

All the best to Lumsden and I’m happy to see a former Ticat represent Canada in the Olympics.

Awsome Go get em J.L. :thup:

I hope they put extra padding on his bobsled. Dont want him breaking anything :twisted:

Bobsled has traditionally attracted athletes from other sports, who posessed explosive speed and power.

Jesse has both…it’s a no brainer.

Anyone remember the Jamaican Bobsled Team?

Jesse deserves all the credit in the world…he came here with tons of promise but never really got it going due to injury. Now he’s got a second chance.

How does one get into bobsledding anyways? or are athletes from other sports recuited for it near Olympics time?..I can’t ever recall seeing any kids dragging a bobsled around town going to practice at 6:00 am or anything.

Is there a bottom floor inside the bobsleds or do they have to do the “Flintstonemobile” method of propulsion?

Assuming those questions weren’t rhetorical, at least the “how does one get into bobsledding” question is answered here:

http://www.bobsleigh.ca/BobsleighRecruitment.aspx