It's Official!!! Braley has Run the Lions into the Ground!!!

That's an invalid comparison. The Whitecaps play 17 home games in an MLS regular season and the Giants play 36 home games vs. only 9 for the Lions. Per game is the comparison that needs to be made.

Avg. per game attendance for last season

Whitecaps - 19,475
Giants - 7,205
Lions - 30,356

So no... the Lions are not last on the sports totem pole.

Home openers should be and always have been the easiest sell. Attendance usually dips a tad in the midst of a season. Too many excuses. just buy a ticket and go. Look it NCAA or NFL , fans go, they don't have a million excuses about the weather ,traffic , or opponent , they just go ! SK and Winnipeg and possibly Toronto are the only positive attendance stories this year in the CFL.

I believe they also must lift the blackout on 2 (or is it 1?) game this season.

Hamilton is a positive story as well. Sure, Guelph doesn't hold that many and a fair bit of fans won't be making the journey to Guelph and not all games will be sold out even in a 13,000 seater. But taking the games to a city like Guelph and making some new friends ie. fans in the long run is a good thing, not just for the Cats but for the league. Exposure in this way is excellent even if the numbers will not look good.

Of course there are a group in Hamilton that didn't like the stadium process and the Cats not agreeing to a location with the previous Mayor who has/had friends in high places including the media and therefore will bad mouth Bob Young and the Cats from now to eternity. That's fine, Bob is a big boy and can take it. He's seen it all in his business circles in his life I'm sure. Part of the territory. But in the long run I think that this really will turn into a positive story in Hamilton especially with monies being spent in a part of Hamilton that can use it. Eventually more and more people will see this and see the good in the outcome of the stadium here even if they will never publicly admit to it.

I agree the black outs are an awful idea. They have placed emphasis on the fan experience for both Family and the 18-35 demographic but the blackouts will stifle this a bit for sure as we have seen.
So while BC is doing one thing right they are off setting it with another.
He will be making a pretty good piece of change hosting 3 of 4 Grey Cups. The 100th was well publisized and money pumped in by out side sources so he had a great bottom line.
2014 he will see the same after a freezing Grey Cup in Regina with not enough room for everyone who wants to go there will be a boom of fans who may have to miss out in 2013 and will easily be able to get a room in Vancouver as well as enjoying the game inside a nice warm venue that will most likely include a much more extensive Party zone by next season.
So although he will do well with the Cups he could start by making a killing this year and ride that into next season with a bolster of season tickets looking for a Grey Cup ticket

So Americans are deeply obsessed with football; having a borderline societal mental condition doesn't make them better people - just more financially reliable as fans. Just isn't the same in Canada. Pro sports is a hard sell except for hockey.

Week 2 last year Hamilton was in B.C. Attendance was 25,109. So it is actually higher this year.

Never said they were better, but we have attendance issues in this league and the excuses are tiring.

The BC Lions deserve to be punished by the Vancouver sports fan for a laundry list of reasons, despite the on field product.

1. The attitude of Dennis Skulsky and company. The organization is clearly out of touch with the realities of the Canadian sports market in 2013 if they think lowering ticket prices to more REASONABLE levels is "giving away freebies".

2. Upper Bowl Seats that cost the same as their Lower Bowl equivalent.

3. 25% price jump between corner seats and endzone seats. The Seattle Seahawks charge a more modest 5% extra for corner seats over endzone seats.

4. A nearly 50% price jump between sideline seats and corner seats. The Seattle Seahawks charge 25% more for sideline seats than corner seats.

These are just 3 examples of where the BC Lions fail to price themselves in the market appropriately. I am sure there are many other examples that I have not listed.

If it's that simple about pricing aspects that an easy fix since gridiron and the quest for the Grey Cup beats anything like a minor league MLS or AAA baseball trys and provide. People will go for the cheap, agree. If we are speaking about "minor" leagues that is. But agree, even in rich Vancouver and surrounds with all the money there and high real estate prices to demonstrate, cheap still works despite what is being provided on field. Hockey the exception though, glorified pond hockey games will still garner high prices in the "elite" league in the world, agree. In that aspect, Vancouver is no different than any other average Canadian city. :wink: :roll:

LMAO.... Vancouver is not rich by any stretch of the imagination... Blue collar workers(the backbone of the CFL) in Vancouver earn the lowest wages (aside from the East Coast)in Canada. The real Estate is owned strictly by forigners.... |The actual people living in Vancouver are dirt poor.

The average person who goes to a Lions game is a senior citizen who lives in Abbotsford who lives on a fixed income.... The Lions are aware of this to the fact that their PA announcer practically whispers.

DID YOU GUYS NOT GET THAT THE BLACKOUTS ARE ONLY ON STD DEFINITION NOT HD ? " ARE YOU LISTENING"

who watches std definition in 2013 ? i say hardly anyone.

The average person who goes to a Lions game is a senior citizen who lives in Abbotsford who lives on a fixed income.... The Lions are aware of this to the fact that their PA announcer practically whispers.

No you are wrong i sat with kis 7-11 years of age, 25-35 year olds , 40-50 year olds and some seniers not many,and some teenagers, i am a season ticket holder, and there are a lot of season ticket holders that live in burnaby, downtown vancouver, a lot from north vancouver, acually there are not many come from abbtsford anymore as it is too far to travel.

get your facts streight next time.

take a look around the park next time you are at a game...play a game..... each person you count with grey hair count one... each person with regular colour hair minus 1.... do this 100 times... betcha you come out to a positive number.... This works best in the gold section.

i did i have had season tickets for 10 years, i would agree with you if you were right,

It’s Official the bc lions are out done by the vancouver whitecaps, you go and look at the tickets aviliable for the whitecap games and you look at bc lions games and it does not even compare the vancouver whitecaps have almost sold out every game from know till end of august, were the bc lions have tons of blocks of tickets aviliable.

Sheesh, you draw 25,000 fans out on a Thursday night (disappointing sure, but still 3,000 more than the Als) against a traditionally low-drawing Eastern team after getting shellacked the previous week in Calgary, and suddenly it's all "doom and gloom" from a couple on this board. :roll:

Some points:

• No quesiton the Whitecaps have made a dent in this market, but the Lions are still firmly #2, so the post about the Leos being lowest on the Vancouver sports totem pole is pure, unadulterated (alarmist) nonsense. The Whitecaps are the talk of the town' at the moment after an impressive winning streak, but let's get real here. Only a couple of weeks ago, they drew just 16,000 against Chivas USA!

• Someone made the point earlier that BC drew slightly fewer fans against Hamilton Week 2 last year and he's spot on. The Lions still ended up #3 in the CFL in attendance in 2012.

• Don't look at just paid attendance to measure a team's health, profitablility, long term outlook. Sure, it's an important component, but not the only one. The Lions were right near the top last year in TV ratings (they led most of the way before ending up 3rd). They also did $1 million in merchandising sales last year (this comes right from Skulsky's mouth), and their sponsorships are up as well (they recently inked a huge deal with Coast Capital Savings).

• IMO, attendance would be better had Skulsky, Braley, and Chayka not over-estimated the lure and appeal of the new BC Place. Sure it's a big improvement, but a football ticket here with a 54,000 seat inventory is not price inelastic, certainly not against the increases we've seen over the past few years.

No quesiton the Whitecaps have made a dent in this market, but the Lions are still firmly #2, so the post about the Leos being lowest on the Vancouver sports totem pole is pure, unadulterated (alarmist) nonsense. The Whitecaps are the talk of the town' at the moment after an impressive winning streak, but let's get real here. Only a couple of weeks ago, they drew just 16,000 against Chivas USA!

• Someone made the point earlier that BC drew slightly fewer fans against Hamilton Week 2 last year and he's spot on. The Lions still ended up #3 in the CFL in attendance in 2012.

• Don't look at just paid attendance to measure a team's health, profitablility, long term outlook. Sure, it's an important component, but not the only one. The Lions were right near the top last year in TV ratings (they led most of the way before ending up 3rd). They also did $1 million in merchandising sales last year (this comes right from Skulsky's mouth), and their sponsorships are up as well (they recently inked a huge deal with Coast Capital Savings).

• IMO, attendance would be better had Skulsky, Braley, and Chayka not over-estimated the lure and appeal of the new BC Place. Sure it's a big improvement, but a football ticket here with a 54,000 seat inventory is not price inelastic, certainly not against the increases we've seen over the past few years.

You make some very good points here, but he Argos are not the worst team in the league anymore they have superstar players and there is no way they should have had only 25,000 at the least 28,000 I was hoping for 30,000

I do understand a Thursday night is not a good draw on a hot summer night, but we do have a retractable roof, no excuse that it is too warm in there anymore, as for the whitecaps I know a hand full of people right know that would want to attend a whitecaps game than a lions game, and I consider these people big lions fans for years, I have been to a whitecaps game at bc place ( los angles galaxy this year) and the atmosphere blows the lions atmosphere out of the water right know, Hopefully the lions can win on sat , look good doing it, and get a 30,000 + crowed for next Sat night.

Time to take a deep breath. Everything will be fine.

This is not a new occurance, nor is it Regina. I don't get it as I am a hard-core fan and to me, the off-season is way too long so I am psyched for the preseason! But the Vancouver market traditonally gets their jonesing for football as the season progresses. No need to panic.