It's Blow Up Time! Any ideas?

Time to clean house and start from scratch.

I would be happy to see Austin, Tillman and Special Team guy released.

Stefan Ptazek promoted to interim Head Coach - June Jones Offensive Co-ordinator or someone more current, Lolley Defensive Co-ordinator, Mike McPhee Special Teams Coach. Ride out the year and see what happens.

I think the fans would appreciate Ptazek finishing out the year as HC and see if he gets any respect from the players. (not saying he is the long term guy but it would be fun to see him there being local)

I think under this scenario unfortunately Collaros would have to go as well.

Start from Scratch in the off season.

This would appease me.

Jim Barker VP/GM,
Drew Allemang, Shawn Burke Asst. GMs, head of canadian and american scouting respectively.
Tom Clements HC/QB coach,
Tommy Condell OC/ASST. HC
Dennis McPhee DC/DL coach
Jeff Reinbold ST Coodinator
Dennis McKnight ST assistant/OL coach
Andy Fantuz WR coach
Markeith Knowlton Defensive Assistant/LBs coach
James Stanley DBs coach
William Fields Defensive quality control
Corey Grant Offensive Assistant/Offensive Quality Control
Jon Cornish RBs coach

After sitting through Saturday's debacle, I am now on board with those calling down the O-line. My apologies for being so long on the uptake. So my question becomes, what is the role of the O-line coach, Murkeson, in this quagmire?

I have read complaints about their play since 2015, and despite plug-in replaces, nothing has really improved. Actually gotten worse. If the O-line cannot do their job, isn't the role of the coach to correct problems? Shouldn't Murkeson be just as responsible for these under performances as was Reinebold?

Fairly simple process:

Point out errors.
Explain and demonstrate correct procedure.
Have player demonstrate correct procedure under supervision, correcting any errors.
Have player practice correct procedure until proficient.

Also, I have seen photos of the team at practice. Looks like a yahoo high school phys-ed class in baggy shorts, Ts, and helmets. Better use of their time might have a better outcome on the field? I realize the CA limits what can be done, and the length of the practice, but as Vince Lombardi supposedly said: "Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect"

http://forums.cfl.ca/index.php?board=5.0

Accept for Barker (who I do not like) you are spot on. I have been wanting the Ticats to hire
Tom Clements as HC for a long time. He would make a great HC.

Didn't the whole bunch of bananas get major extensions last year ? No way Bob digs in his pocket and pulss out a couple million dollars to sack this crew. Mitchell got Young into a hell of a pickle.

Clements is an assistant HC for the Packers. I don't think we can afford him.

YEE HAW!...Big Jim and Billy Sol Hurokwill"blow ‘em up real good!" :slight_smile:

We have to evaluate the entire organization from top down. Austin is making alot of money on a multiple year contract so he has to be the guy.
We need to look at all the film of the 7 games and make some tough decisions. We tend to have players on our team that were dumped from other teams or are new to the cfl.
The offensive and defensive co-ordinators are doing a poor jon and lolley and june jones are not the answer. A veteran DC like Rich Stubler with CFL past success is needed. Same goes for the OC.
Patasik as OC is overmatched . The play calling has been brutal.
Our next biggest problems is the offensive line play . I have been watching closely and I think Mike Filer is one guy that either doesn't block anyone or misses blocks. I think we need a new Center.
Our offensive Guards have been praised in the past but Revenberg is not far removed from being a rookie and Bomden I think is over rated. Our Offensive tackles all have been poor thus far including vets like Fulton and players new to the CFL.
We need to call plays that accounts for the poor offensive line. Getting Collaros to get on the run and more draw plays and screen plays. Gable had 2 screen passes this week and they both worked ok.
We might not win a game this year so we should have a few good Canadians to choose from at pick #1 and pick #10. I think they need to pick an Olineman at the number 1 pick and give him a chance to start. Another thought I have is that our current oline coach has no CFL experience which could be part of the problem.
I have never been a big fan of Collaros . He had an incredible 2015 year before he got injured and he has not been the same since as he is more tentative and does not have as good of an oline or as good of an oc . I think his knee injury has affected his mobility and the weak receivers and play selection is not helping him much.
I am not a big fan of Gable ..he had a decent year in his rookie year but he is not a high energy fast running back . They say his a good blocker but last night he was not and he does not provide much of a threat coming out of the backfield as we saw with that shuffle pass to him from zac.

Most CFL teams have a at least one or two tall and athletic receivers and we do not . I think Tolliver might have fit that role but he out for the year. We constantly seeing opposing recievers winning battles for the ball due to their height and athleticism . Guys like SJ Green , BC's Arceneaux, Duran Carter. We need a player or two like this . We also have a weak canadian receiver in Jones as shown by last game. Fantuz is very injury prone and getting slower and older so I don't expect any miracles when he returns .
Obviously , we need to run the ball more ..it gives the oline a break and its easier to run block than to pass block.....the other teams rb's are getting 100 yard games against us which which makes the dline etc to have to respect the run and not just rush the passer with all their effort. This is why we are not getting many sacks and if we ran the ball more we would be allowing collaros a little more time to pass because the other team has to recpect the run.
I just wanted to mention that while we were getting creamed by the bombers you can see simoni and others laughing on the sidelines . This concerns me as i would not be laughing if I was 0 and 6 and headed to 0 and 7 and getting humiliated at home . None of the fans were laughing and nor was I so it makes me think there is a problem . I can tell you one think that I have not seen Austin or Collaros laugh once all year...I am not necessarily a fan of either but i do know they both hate losing as muc as i do.

The TSN guys and other people are saying we just don't have enough talent. I think this is true especially on the oline and secondary and receivers and RB.

Our lack of Canadian depth has really been exposed with the Fantuz and Butler injuries . I think Courtney Stefan can't cut it even as a national . The only db's that have shown any talent is Leonard and Will Hill. .This team has had a weak secondary for a long time now and they are now at their weakest point especially with injuries to off season acquisition Kanneh and Eman Davis and Butler.
This secondary is not capable of guarding receivers and certainly not capable of knocking down a pass or even intercepting a pass. They are playing about 10 yards off of the players which allows for easy first down passes. I am not sure if this is instructions by the DC or if each db doesn't have confidence to stay close to the receiver .

I blame Austin and Tillman for not bringing in enough talent in the secondary ..they tried with Kanneh and did well with Will Hill . I almost lost my mind when I heard that Will Hill got cut. He was blocking field goals and had a nose for the football and hits very hard and tackles very well. We have too weak a defence to have gotten rid of him . He was pretty much the only defender making plays and teams were dropping the ball at times in fear of being hit by him . He was best suited to play Sam so he can tackle the QB and RB's. I think this Will Hill was alot like Chip Cox in Montreal a real find and a guy that puts fear in the opposition. Well what's done is done and i bet Hill signs with the Argos or another CFL team and looks great .

I notice Simoni is not making plays and always out of position ..He is quite often far back covering a receivers and that is not his skill...his skills are blitzing and tackling the run and short passes.
It seems that the linebackers are a non factor in the game as there are seldom blitzing the QB and not playing far back enough to disrupt the receivers. This all must be due to to poor defensive schemes as Simoni could not have suddenly become a weak player as he is still young and was an all star.

We are snake bitten on the Dline because of the ratio issues with Butler and Fantuz injuries.
We are being forced to use capicotti as a national DE and he is ok but he never gets to the qb and he is undersized for the run . We also end up playing nationals vaughn and atkinson at DT and both are very overmatched. Coleman has been a beast for us at DT and Laurent has been ok but way overpayed .
Chick is trying hard but not getting to the QB enough . With Stenhauer we used to blitz alot on 2knd and long and we don't do that anymore and it is killing us and we are allowing way too many 2knd and long conversions

I also have noticed that our special teams play is weaker than in previous years. The have nation rb Timmins, National LB Hughes, snapper crawford and not really any good fast and strong special teamers. We used to have players like Plesius, Beau Landry, Marcelllus Bowman that were great special teamers. Timmins is a running back and if you saw him on calgary's kick return for a td you could see how vert slow he is compared to finch who just blew by him . On the same play Hughes dove to tackle Finch and missed by a mile it was a very inept play by bothe players and both have been weak or average all year.

I think we signed Collaros for way too much money ..he is reported to be making well over 500 k and the highest player in the league. Can you believe this ? The Salary Cap is just over 5 Million. Ted Laurent is a good canadian DT but he is way overpaid as well and being payed 275 k . Then there is Banks was making 165 k just to return kicks. Banks has truly lost it and is not the same player last year or this year.....he used to really help us with field position and pose a threat on every kick.
maybe he is disgruntled as he had to take a 50 k pay cut. I am not sure if it is poor blocking or just speedy i am leaning towards it being speedy that has lost a step as he had reinbold as the special teams guy last year and banks did poorly last year as well.

Word is that Banks will be gone in a few weeks. It's kind of sad as he really became a fan favorite and really gave us a lethal weapon

I am not sure what John Chick is making but it is likely around 250 k. As you can see 4 players are taking a big chunk of our salary cap which tied our hands in trying to sign or resign players so we saw the likes of Bkari Grant , Rico Murray , Fred Plesius and figuerero , Sears, Mcdufee , Ellingson go

I also want to mention that Plesius mentioned that players don't want to stay or come to hamilton because Austin is an A*hole ...that he would get on players all week for a mistake they made the previous week

Another free agent was asked if they would sign with the cats and the answer was no because TED (laurent ) took all the money .

I think this team has been a poor evaluator of talent and made poor decisions on paying out some way to high salaries and letting players go that were performing well

Right now , I think the team is in a mess mainly because they were at the end of last year and di very little to change it...They should never have hired a mcmaster coach as the OC as he is too overmatched and reinbold proved before in montreal that he is not a good defensive co-ordinator he was doing very well as special teams coach

The obvious move would be to get rid of Austin but he has a huge 500 + thousand salary for a few more years so we are stuck with him

I can honestly see this team going winless this year especially if the Argos have Ray on Labor Day ...if not that might be the only game we can win .

Even in the best case scenario Collaros is not worth over 500 k ..collaros is like 0 and 11 going back to last year

The ticats also made a bonehead moves letting go offensive tackles Lewis , Figuerero , Simmons , and guard dyakowski all starting for other cfl team ..they were also unfortunate in losing ot jake olson to retirement ...right now we would have a better oline with those guys here

Gerbear: I’m not gonna quote for obvious reasons…but that was well written.
While I don’t agree with all of it you made some great points.
This forum could use more posts thought out like that.

Just watching the BC at Sask game. Wow! Maybe it's time for a wide open playoff format whereby any team in either division can displace any team via crossover if they have a better record, second or even first place included. Even Sask is playing well and a lot more entertaining football than what we have seen from several East teams.

Wow, if this was your first post, you certainly got a lot of your chest and are bang on with your comments imo.

@Gerbear20

Great post, I think you have it down pretty well.

This really is the root of the problem with the offence & it's not a new issue...the O line hasn't been good for awhile now. Markuson has to be replaced with someone who knows what the hell they're doing. These guys would probably even do better if they coached themselves!
I sent Rick Zamperin at chml an email to this effect after the game Saturday & he read it on the air. Was astounded that some guy called in saying he disagreed!

Dear Jonesy:

Some time ago there were 2 obscure guys who played twin full backs for an obscure team; Johnny Bright, Normie Kwong. They did good by the Eskimos' running game for a number of years.

You have Scheuerman and Gable use them together. Need more hints? Look at Eskimo game films from the mid fiftys to mid sixtys

Jim Barker as GM....after what happened in Toronto??
You want to bring back Condell after he walked out on this team??
You better have a big wallet to wrench Tom Clements from the NFL....
Because someone played the position doesn't necessarily qualify them to coach...

And Scheuerman has pretty good hands for a running back. Opens up a TE type offence for medium to short yardage on 2nd downs, plus give added blocking on the O-line right at the line of scrimmage.
When we're 0-7, and finally facing our Eastern opponents, a different look might help?

Gable needs to run through some tires, this guy is always tripping on white lines or arm of someone.

I don't think it's all coaching problems...well maybe Murkeson ...his O-line needs some big boys ! It's just too easy to cry, fire this & that one...we have been there many times before & it hasn't worked. Maybe some cool heads & patients would work...I remember years we won only 1 or 2 games and the end of the world didn't happen...so have some faith...Cheers Cat fans!!

I remember when the Tiger cats had Simeon Rottier. It took some years and growing pains to bring him along. Then, just as he was developing into a star, he opted to go west.
Revenberg came along seemingly faster.
The Oline has been hit with injuries over the last couple of seasons. It's been in a constant state of flux during this time. That can't be good.
Coaching...personnel??
Whatever it is ...they best get it solved ....