IT'S A SUCCESS

Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 09:31AM

CORE PHOTO

Wednesday, April 26, 2006, saw 300 women converge at the Red and White Club at McMahon Stadium for the 16th annual It’s A Snap, Ladies Only Football Seminar.

The evening involved Calgary Stampeder Senior Vice-President of Football Operations and Head Coach, Tom Higgins outlining the basics of football, Stamps Quarterback Henry Burris reviewing the offense and Linebacker Scott Coe demonstrating the defensive principles for the on-looking ladies. CFL official, Jim Koshman, was also on hand to review the rules of the game.

Each of the presenters used on-screen presentations and personal recollection to describe the basics of each aspect of football. The ladies were able to ask questions and use the Playbook they received to work their way through the various intricacies of the game.

Participants also had the opportunity to tour the Stampeder locker room, accompanied by a demonstration of the equipment by Offensive Lineman, Jay McNeil. The evening then wrapped up with a wine and cheese reception with coaches and players. Stampeder Receivers Jeremaine Copeland and Nik Lewis were just a couple of the players on hand to sign autographs and answer questions from the ladies.

“Every year I’ve been a part of this event the ladies have come out and we all have a great time! I think the guys have a lot of fun helping the ladies to understand this game and it’s various components. It was a great time and I’m already looking forward to next year,� said veteran Stampeder Offensive Lineman, Jay McNeil.

Great idea! They have a similar program in Vancouver called Football 101.

I keep offering to help out at these things but get turned down every time! :wink:

This idea was Wally's and it has been going since he was here! It is a great event. I think they should have one for kids as well. Although Fan Fest here actually is for the kids so I guess I answered my own question. The new field turf is awesome.