It is the Coaching

Why not? Sure, he was canned, but it’s not unheard-of for a fired head coach to return in another capacity to the same team (for example, Dave Ritchie in BC). Not being a Rider fan, I am genuinely ignorant of why Barrett wouldn’t want to return here. Was there some behind-the-scenes acrimony?

i believe he is some sort of assistant in Florida now, and in no way would we want him back. He is a capable coach but there are other reasons not to ever have him back that are best not discussed here.

None of the staff have answers,a least none that they will share with the general public

Why not bring in a sports psychologist.

It can't do harm, and most likely will help DB and DD 'bond'.. Marshall may learn a thing or two also.

I do believe they have one on retainer, but perhaps it is time to try a new one. I think they have have one since 87, and i think it has only changed once.

this is ringing a bell somewhere deep in the back of my mind, so I might be recalling something incorrectly.

On the surface, it would seem like a decent thought, but thank you, no. I knew a couple of the guys that were in the locker room at that time. There are issues aside from football, which another poster pointed out are rightly not discussed here.

I’d rather keep Doug Berry AND hire Daley back! If you have read any of my posts this year, you have an idea of just how much that means!

It is NOT the coaching, it is the football ops. Taman and Miller are responsible for this … period. If they start firing coaches, then they delay fixing the real problem and only make it even harder to win now.

Their problems are directly caused by poor football ops, complete mismanagement of the defensive depth chart.

The players that they have are playing hard, playing as well as they can with the possible exception of Getzlaf, and I’ve been a bit disappointed in Frazier and nick Graham.

The only real problems they have on offense is that all 3 of their 9game injured players happen to be receivers. There’s not much you can do about that, not with a 42 man roster. If they had a lineman, a back and a receiver on the 9 game instead of 3 starting receivers then Getz wouldn’t have to play through a slump like this and wouldn’t be killing drives.

On defense it’s different. The fact that’s theres no end pressure is simply because Taman didn’t bring in anyone to play end. Further to that, when Mullinder actually stepped up, elevated his game to CHANGE POSITIONS to actually become their best pass rusher, they traded him away for a stop-gap receiver that they haven’t dressed yet (meanwhile Mullinder has a strong game for Montreal against the Esks). If Baker is here because of receiver depth issues then he ought to be on the field. If he’s not on the field then they just gave away their best pass rusher for no reason.

In the secondary there is not one guy who can play 1 on 1 coverage with any amount of consistency. I would havethought Frazier would be that guy and he still could be, but he is not playing his best ball. But if he is not, Donovan Alexander and Omarr Morgan can’t pick up the slack IF THEY ARE CUT. Nick Graham has been torched every week. James Patrick is his usual self but he’s a ballhawk at safety, he doesn’t cover. Tristan Jackson is their best guy but he is better in zone with his closing speed.

The players that they have are playing hard. The players that they have at end and DB are just not good enough. Simply put, Taman and Miller have fallen far short of their duty to stock these areas of the depth chart with capable players. They have demonstrated a complete inability to judge what skills these positions require.

Firing coaches won’t help a damn thing. Miller needs to fire Taman, find a guy who knows what the hell he’s doing, and stand back and let the guy do the job. And if it means that they miss the playoffs this year so be it. But if they start scapegoating players and coaches (like they did with Tad and Luc) then they will miss the playoffs for years to come and if you think I’m critical now …

Don’t fire the coaches. Don’t cock it up any worse than it is now. Don’t turn this team into the TiCats of 5 years ago. Don’t run around stomping out spot fires. Aim for the base of the flames (football ops management 100%).